1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: The Bug that just kept Going..

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Review

The Bug that just kept Going...
By javbw on

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have a 1999 (2/24/99) GLS bug with 200,000 miles on it, and I drive the heck out of it. I drive it fast, hard, and occaisionally offroad. (get the sport springs). I'm very hard on the things I own, and the fact my Bug is still with me is a testament to it's inital design and early warranty recalls (window switches and a couple sensors back around year 2) - all the "bells and whisles" worriers can forget about it for their next car - and get auto door locks and windows already! All of my issues have stemmed from things thrown at my car on the freeway (rocks, ladders, etc) and as long as you keep up with the maintaince, shocks, and a failed engine sensor every year, you're good.

I love the good cabin room, design, dhape, front seats, handling (after sport springs), fit of build, overall engineering of the car and individual pieces. It is better than any US car I've ever sat in / drove (and yeah, I've owned 'em).

Improve the engine access, make it easier to remove the front clip? automatic transmission fluid level and filler cap please! no 100$ trips to the dealership so they can use a water bottle and a hose to add fluid - I can do that! My car currently leaks fluid from oil and ATF fluid the dealership can't find it (boo!)