1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: TDI Diesel Beetle After Seven

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Review

TDI Diesel Beetle After Seven Years
By diesel on

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

After seven years of daily use, I am still very happy with my Beetle. Other New Beetles have had reliability problems, but I have had no problems with the engine or transmission. I have had minor problems with the window switches breaking, but the replacements seem to have held up. This is a much better engine than the 2.0L gas, and it gives far better economy. The downside is whenever we go somewhere I always have to drive!

The engine is the best thing about this car. It gets great fuel economy and has great torque. I can pass almost everything on the long uphills, especially at high altitude. Everyone who drives it is impressed with the power. The styling never changes, which is good.

Cons: Many impractical features due to the design, I wish it had bought a Golf instead. For instance, car does not have a rectangular trunk - cannot carry golf bag. Also, the rear seat headroom is not good. The front pillars interfere with visibility. Finally, it badly needs extensions for the sun visors.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review