1999 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - ode to a new beetle

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Review

ode to a new beetle
By lansing on

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

While it was love at first sight, the affair turned out to fade with higher maintenance costs than my second wife. The Dick Dean has a shabby, little practice of adding 10% more to the overall price as a 'market adjustment", which since cured me of ever buying a VW from them again. Their only saving grace is their service department, which treats customers as if they matter. The only problem with the service department, is I see too much of them. After 32,000 miles, every thing on the car started falling apart, or needed replacing at $92/hour. Now that the romance has faded, I will never fall in love again with anything on the lot at Dick Dean VW.

Favorite Features

Love the design inside and out. Great technology for a small hatchback, just not reliable enough to appreciate a minute longer than the warranty.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to audit their dealers on sales practices and either raise prices/margins or do away with "market adjustments". VW designers need to figure out how to improve the product reliability in their gee-thats-neat technology.