Little Things...
By Ladys Bug on
1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback
I bought my '99 Beetle with 38,000 miles on it. It now has 52,000 miles. It is pretty good overall, despite the little "Mickey Mouse" problems that most bug owners complain about (cup holders, visors, etc.). The cloth seats do stain easily. The plastic does melt and scratch/break easily. The lights are iffy, however they are not as hard to replace as most think. Get a Haynes Repair manual (about $12 at any auto shop). My car's headlight was replaced in 10 minutes and for only $3 (the cost of the bulb). Everything seems to be working fine except for the CD player which is located in the trunk and a leak in my a.c. evaporator. The shop quoted me about $2,000 to fix it. I said "no thanks" and just added freon. It's good for now until it all leaks out again, in which case i will add more freon.
Favorite Features
The acceleration, handling on curves and turns, exterior styling, good gas mileage, front seats are roomy, good sound system, interior lights, and how it shifts easily.
Suggested Improvements
It should have better cup holders, smaller blind spots, bigger sun visors, and and what's up with the cheap plastic?!?! How about something that doesn't melt? I should have more room in the backseat, maybe some power seats? The turny knob to adjust the seat is a pain in the butt. It should have a bigger trunk and easier engine access.