1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Heartbreaker

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Review

Heartbreaker
By RachieSLC on

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I was so excited when I bought my Beetle. I had wanted one since they came out in 1998. I had about a good 2 months until I realized the air conditioning didn't work, which was just the beginning of my repair woes. I have had my car in THREE times to have the air conditioner fixed along with the windows and window switches, the gas and trunk hatches, the temperature guage, and other problems. In the two years I owned this car, I took it to have it fixed TEN TIMES. My clutch went out and it cost $1400 to have it fixed. The week after that, my check engine light came on. I sold that lemon and bought a Civic Si.

It's a fun car with lots of personality. I LOVED the turbo charged engine. That car can outrun just about any sports car on the road. I loved the seat warmers, the roomy, comfortable interior and, the blue/purple interior lights. All the standard power features are nice, too.

Change the cheap-looking plastic on the inside. The mechanical stuff is so hard to get at that it's hard to find a non-VW service mechanic. Make something that doesn't break all the time.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review