1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Great Car - If you get just th

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Great Car - If you get just the basics
By Christian Hoy on

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new in 1999, and I still own it. All in all, itís a great car, and has never let me down. I got the GL version in order to avoid too many electrical motors and gadgets that could break down in the future and cause costly repairs. I also wanted hand-cranked windows. So far, the only thing that has failed is electirc-operated gas cap cover. I havenít fixed it, because itís easy to open the gas cover manually. Itís a great car to drive - turns corners on a dime and feels stable at higher speeds. As for the looks, this car looks awesome. It looks like something that flew out of a science-fiction movie.

Great Retro-Futuristic looks. Amazing utility for one person with the roof rack. Decent gas mileage. Fun to drive. Sheds rain and mositure well. Can carry a kayak or canoe well due to it's symmetrical side profile. Crash safety.

Some cheap plasic parts in high-use areas (why?) Front cup holder makes a better spare change holder, wierd set up of glove compartment interior (every time you open, stuff falls out) Too much automation for every-day easy use things (door locks, fuel cap, trunk)