1999 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Don't miss the repair shop

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Don't miss the repair shop
By Robinowitz on

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

There was no greater fan of this car than me. I waited breathlessly for six years after seeing the prototype to buy it and loved it from the get go. Then all hell broke loose...literally. The whole A/C system had to be replaced at 2 years ($1200), the passenger seat lift lever broke off at 6 mos., the interior roof's compartment door broke off within 2 months, the locking fuel tank door broke around 2.5 yrs, the locking mechanism started doing a freakdance and a year after replacing the A/C system, it went out again. Had to dump it for the reliability of a good ol' Nissan.

Favorite Features

I'm a graphic designer, so there was nothing I didn't adore about the look of the car. (But did it have to be made entirely of plastic?) Great front seat headroom. Dug the layout of the interior and funky features like the bud vase and textured surfaces.

Suggested Improvements

Get some quality control going on all those plastic parts! Improve the warranty if you're going to stick people with a lemon. I feel suckered.