1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Beetles are Extremely Uncomfor

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle

GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Beetles are Extremely Uncomfortable
By baileym12 on

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1999 Volkswagen Beetle because I was looking for a car with good gas milage three months ago. I have to comute at least 60 miles one way to work. The seats are extremely uncomfratable, to the point where I have extreme back pain and I have to use a towel to support my lower back. The quality inside stinks, it is very poorly designed, has bad cup holders, and everything is plastic and falls off. The side mirrors are postioned very high so there is a big blind spot when you take left turns, which is very dangerous at night. The only thing that the Beetle has going for is its gas milage and reliablity. It says 32 mpg, but I can manage 34-36mpg. I haven't had any problems mechanically, but the unbearable cabin design forced me to trade it in.

Decent gas mileage.

Give it better seats, cup holders, center console, higher seating, eliminate the blind spots, improve the build quality, give it a lower reving engine (it is loud over 55 mph). The back trunk shuts if you don't catch it in time and the locks do not lock the first time w/the remote. the only good thing about this car is the engine.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review