A Great Little Car
By HappyOwner on
1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback
I bought my red 1999 GLS 5-speed used with 17,000 miles on it. The car has been nothing but reliable. I now have over 61,000 miles on it and it continues to drive and run flawlessly. Nothing has broken on it other than two headlights. The bulbs cost about $7.00 and are easy to replace once you figure out what you're doing. Everything works, none of the switches have fallen out or broken and the power windows work just fine. The air conditioning works great. I guess some cars are lemons, but mine has been every bit as reliable as my wife's Honda Civic (she sold the Honda and bought a Cabrio).
Favorite Features
Solid build quality, good gas mileage, great handling and braking, great stereo and CD system, cool alloy wheels. It's fun to have other Beetle owners wave and smile, and to watch siblings pummel each other (in a game of slug bug) when you drive by.
Suggested Improvements
Either Americans drink too much, or the German engineers don't drink enough. In either case, someone in Germany got it wrong when they designed the cup holders to hold only 12 oz cans.