1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
A Great Little Car
By HappyOwner on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my red 1999 GLS 5-speed used with 17,000 miles on it. The car has been nothing but reliable. I now have over 61,000 miles on it and it continues to drive and run flawlessly. Nothing has broken on it other than two headlights. The bulbs cost about $7.00 and are easy to replace once you figure out what you're doing. Everything works, none of the switches have fallen out or broken and the power windows work just fine. The air conditioning works great. I guess some cars are lemons, but mine has been every bit as reliable as my wife's Honda Civic (she sold the Honda and bought a Cabrio).

A Great Little Car
By happyowner on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Very frustrated!! Don't buy
By fjklajdfkdl on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

7 trips to the repair shop, with 9 problems and it only has 26,000 miles. 3 window problems, 3 dead batteries, oxygen sensor, air flow meter, rock shield on underside of car rips off when you go over speed bumps even at a slow speed. Driver's side mirror blocks your view of other vehicles, especially at 4 way stops. I love driving the vehicle, but just too many problems.

Don't miss the repair shop
By Robinowitz on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

There was no greater fan of this car than me. I waited breathlessly for six years after seeing the prototype to buy it and loved it from the get go. Then all hell broke loose...literally. The whole A/C system had to be replaced at 2 years ($1200), the passenger seat lift lever broke off at 6 mos., the interior roof's compartment door broke off within 2 months, the locking fuel tank door broke around 2.5 yrs, the locking mechanism started doing a freakdance and a year after replacing the A/C system, it went out again. Had to dump it for the reliability of a good ol' Nissan.

German Engineering? Yea right!!!!
By goingback2 on 09/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I don't even know where to begin...At 10000 miles a brake light switch went out not covered under warranty! Then at 25000 battery went dead and thanks to VW for the special size, that was a nice $200 bill(again not under warranty). I have battled with the power window switches that are tempermental, the auto door lock at 7mph that works half the time, the driver's side window that doesn't want to go up, the gas door that won't latch and have I mentioned the horrible rattling and vibration at any speed over 25mph? The interior pieces are notorious for falling off. This car turned to junk after 6 months of ownership.

Never again...
By Mandys on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

If you are considering it, don't. At this point, I doubt that anything more could go wrong with it...4 power window switches, 2 Oxygen Sensors, 1 power mirror switch 1 uncontrollable dead battery right after crappy 2 year warranty expired, knicks all over fenders after 1st week off lot, no warning when I leave lights on, when locking doors w/ remote the car beeps, but the doors do not lock, brakes replaced by VW, they now squeak, and apparently nothing can be done about this, it is terribly embarrassing

"I love my bright yellow beetle!"
By Holly Fry on 08/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

My first car was a 79 volkswagon bug, and now I've moved up in life to the 99 volkswagon beetle. I love it! Like my 79 it is a lot of fun to drive, but it has so much more room than the 79, more get up and go, and a lot smoother.

A Solid Vehicle
By dsiddle on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have found my New Beetle to be a solid performer. Pickup is adequate and the ride is very comfortable for a small car. Interior room is surprisingly spacious and the instruments/controls are well laid out. Power windows and mirrors have worked without difficulty. My only problem has been AM reception on the radio which the dealer says is in the radio itself.

don't buy!!!!!!
By nothinggood on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I will never buy another VW again, something is always going wrong with my car!!! Don't buy one!

WOBVW Review
By walter baumert on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

My bug is wounderful and would keep it if I had another larger car. The only problem that I find with this VW is the take off at a light or stop sign. Just not enough get up and go.