Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Monday - Friday car?
By li'l buggy

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I'd like to start by saying I love VW Beetles, always have but my little bug has given me a bit of trouble. Is it the year? Is it the day of week it was built? I have had to replace the cooling system ($$$), oil pan, airconditioner ($$$), both windows due to motor failure ($$). And the little things...fuel door won't open from inside, and knob to adjust outside mirrors is broken. It is also expensive to replace the headlights (poor design). I'm wondering if I should get another Beetle, and if Volkswagon has made any improvements in these cute cars. I love the way the Beetle maneuvers expecially on curves and in parking lots. Love to share info with anyone out there.

Love the way the Beetle handles. It handles curves with ease. It drives like it is glued to the road. I love the pick up, doesn't drag going up hills. I love the 5-speed stick, very tight with minimal roll-back. I installed a CD player, love the sound. Also love the windows - lots of visual.

I would suggest to make the car more sturdier. Get rid of the plastic knobs and make sure that things like the mirror adjustment knob, gas door opener switch and window motors last the lifetime of the car. Most importantly, PLEASE, raise the bug off the ground a few more inches.

So disappointed
By Andrea

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This car was bought with 32,000 miles. It now has 56,000. Let me put it this way, I will never buy a VW again. I hope this will help some poor soul from making a $5000 dollar mistake. That was $5,000 dollars in repairs. Too many to list. Worst was mass air flow sensor and fuel injectors. Who ever heard of replacing fuel injectors!?

5-speed is fun but I guess any 5-speed would be.

Go back to the same engineering as in' 69.

Great.....at the begining
By Aryn

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

At first I loved my bug, and now I still love the way it looks. I haven't had any major mechanical problems, but my headlights went out and I took it to Tires Plus and they had the hardest time trying to put new headlights in and didn't get them fixed the first time so I had to go twice. I also have never had all of my break lights work, even 10 minutes after they are replaced. The trunk release has not worked since I bought it. And I can't go over 60 without it reving to 3,000 rpm. So gas milage isn't what you would expect. The worst thing is the cost of maintenance! But after a year and a half I am still attached, that must say something.

I just love the way it looks! I get looks every time I am driving it. All my friends are jealous!

Make it easier to get to the headlights! Do something about the high reving at low speeds. A standard CD player would be nice.

Never Again
By JJ

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

This my LAST VW. I have electrical problems galore. Now the headliner is coming off and some of the leather on the driver's door is coming unglued. What terrible quality for a German car, and VW won't stand behind their own work after a measly three years. I am going back to the Japanese cars. They know how to make quality and stand behind their products.

Good looks.

Design and build a car to last. I had better quality from Detroit!

Bugged Out
By dbug

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have owned the car for two years. I bought it with 33k miles on it and it now has 86k. The major problem I had with the car was the plastic grill. A plastic highway cone hit the front grill and broke it. $3600 dollars worth of damage! Then a week after I got the car back the compressor failed. The VW dealership who did the work claimed that one didnít affect the other but since they had to take the entire front of the car apart it seems rather suspect. They want $1700 for a new compressor. Everything on the car is plastic and either breaks or falls off. I wonít be buying another VW product.

Use better parts.