1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
VW New Beatle
By gilandis on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have has several problems with the vehicle. The most recurring problem has been with the windows switches. They have been replaced three times; two under warranty and once at my expense. The battery needed replacement after 3 years.

excellent car
By luke m. on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

no problems got 50,000 mil. now what a car. Get it. No problems at all. Just small break problem but that`s my own fault for buying cheap breakes.

Don't make a mistake!
By NissanOwner on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

What a waste of money and time! This car was a problem from the minute I got it (new). As have others, I could list a long list of problem parts which were replaced. They never could fix the howling sound that came out of the A/C - from the first time it was used. Obviously VW knew they didn't have a reliable car when they only offered a 2 year warrenty. I'd never buy a VW or Audi again.

A Great Little Car
By HappyOwner on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my red 1999 GLS 5-speed used with 17,000 miles on it. The car has been nothing but reliable. I now have over 61,000 miles on it and it continues to drive and run flawlessly. Nothing has broken on it other than two headlights. The bulbs cost about $7.00 and are easy to replace once you figure out what you're doing. Everything works, none of the switches have fallen out or broken and the power windows work just fine. The air conditioning works great. I guess some cars are lemons, but mine has been every bit as reliable as my wife's Honda Civic (she sold the Honda and bought a Cabrio).

A Great Little Car
By happyowner on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Exellent Car!!!
By nubugman on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I don't know what these other people have done to there car, but I have 90000 miles on mine and very few proplems. I had to replace the window regulator at 84000 miles and it only cost my $100 plus 1/2hr labor. Other than that is has run perfect. Fun car to drive.

Very frustrated!! Don't buy
By fjklajdfkdl on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

7 trips to the repair shop, with 9 problems and it only has 26,000 miles. 3 window problems, 3 dead batteries, oxygen sensor, air flow meter, rock shield on underside of car rips off when you go over speed bumps even at a slow speed. Driver's side mirror blocks your view of other vehicles, especially at 4 way stops. I love driving the vehicle, but just too many problems.

Don't miss the repair shop
By Robinowitz on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

There was no greater fan of this car than me. I waited breathlessly for six years after seeing the prototype to buy it and loved it from the get go. Then all hell broke loose...literally. The whole A/C system had to be replaced at 2 years ($1200), the passenger seat lift lever broke off at 6 mos., the interior roof's compartment door broke off within 2 months, the locking fuel tank door broke around 2.5 yrs, the locking mechanism started doing a freakdance and a year after replacing the A/C system, it went out again. Had to dump it for the reliability of a good ol' Nissan.

German Engineering? Yea right!!!!
By goingback2 on 09/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I don't even know where to begin...At 10000 miles a brake light switch went out not covered under warranty! Then at 25000 battery went dead and thanks to VW for the special size, that was a nice $200 bill(again not under warranty). I have battled with the power window switches that are tempermental, the auto door lock at 7mph that works half the time, the driver's side window that doesn't want to go up, the gas door that won't latch and have I mentioned the horrible rattling and vibration at any speed over 25mph? The interior pieces are notorious for falling off. This car turned to junk after 6 months of ownership.

Never again...
By Mandys on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

If you are considering it, don't. At this point, I doubt that anything more could go wrong with it...4 power window switches, 2 Oxygen Sensors, 1 power mirror switch 1 uncontrollable dead battery right after crappy 2 year warranty expired, knicks all over fenders after 1st week off lot, no warning when I leave lights on, when locking doors w/ remote the car beeps, but the doors do not lock, brakes replaced by VW, they now squeak, and apparently nothing can be done about this, it is terribly embarrassing