Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Beetles are Extremely Uncomfortable
By baileym12

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1999 Volkswagen Beetle because I was looking for a car with good gas milage three months ago. I have to comute at least 60 miles one way to work. The seats are extremely uncomfratable, to the point where I have extreme back pain and I have to use a towel to support my lower back. The quality inside stinks, it is very poorly designed, has bad cup holders, and everything is plastic and falls off. The side mirrors are postioned very high so there is a big blind spot when you take left turns, which is very dangerous at night. The only thing that the Beetle has going for is its gas milage and reliablity. It says 32 mpg, but I can manage 34-36mpg. I haven't had any problems mechanically, but the unbearable cabin design forced me to trade it in.

Decent gas mileage.

Give it better seats, cup holders, center console, higher seating, eliminate the blind spots, improve the build quality, give it a lower reving engine (it is loud over 55 mph). The back trunk shuts if you don't catch it in time and the locks do not lock the first time w/the remote. the only good thing about this car is the engine.

Fun Car / Not Reliable
By m_dsdrc

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I love the design of the 1999 Volkswagen Beetle. It's the cutest car ever made. But it is poorly put together. What ever is made of plastic in that car is going to break. I have had to replace all the window switches in it. And now I cant use my CD player because the plastic switches on the radio have broken. My flex plate in the engine craked and had to be replaced. The actual part only cost $36 but it ended up costing me $800 after labor. So it's not that the parts are expensive is the difficulty to replace things in the car. I had to also replace my alternator, air conditioner, and the window units. My fuel door will not open from the inside If they would just fix all these minor problems it would be an exellent car!

I love the design inside and out. I also love how it handles. It goes around curves really well, it feels like you are stuck to the road. The car does not vibrate when you reach higher speeds for on the intersate. It has plenty of room inside.

Make the stuff (ex. switches, and radio buttons) that are made of plastic stronger. Better leather. The leather tends to get wear down quickly.

Monday - Friday car?
By li'l buggy

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I'd like to start by saying I love VW Beetles, always have but my little bug has given me a bit of trouble. Is it the year? Is it the day of week it was built? I have had to replace the cooling system ($$$), oil pan, airconditioner ($$$), both windows due to motor failure ($$). And the little things...fuel door won't open from inside, and knob to adjust outside mirrors is broken. It is also expensive to replace the headlights (poor design). I'm wondering if I should get another Beetle, and if Volkswagon has made any improvements in these cute cars. I love the way the Beetle maneuvers expecially on curves and in parking lots. Love to share info with anyone out there.

Love the way the Beetle handles. It handles curves with ease. It drives like it is glued to the road. I love the pick up, doesn't drag going up hills. I love the 5-speed stick, very tight with minimal roll-back. I installed a CD player, love the sound. Also love the windows - lots of visual.

I would suggest to make the car more sturdier. Get rid of the plastic knobs and make sure that things like the mirror adjustment knob, gas door opener switch and window motors last the lifetime of the car. Most importantly, PLEASE, raise the bug off the ground a few more inches.

So disappointed
By Andrea

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This car was bought with 32,000 miles. It now has 56,000. Let me put it this way, I will never buy a VW again. I hope this will help some poor soul from making a $5000 dollar mistake. That was $5,000 dollars in repairs. Too many to list. Worst was mass air flow sensor and fuel injectors. Who ever heard of replacing fuel injectors!?

5-speed is fun but I guess any 5-speed would be.

Go back to the same engineering as in' 69.

Great.....at the begining
By Aryn

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

At first I loved my bug, and now I still love the way it looks. I haven't had any major mechanical problems, but my headlights went out and I took it to Tires Plus and they had the hardest time trying to put new headlights in and didn't get them fixed the first time so I had to go twice. I also have never had all of my break lights work, even 10 minutes after they are replaced. The trunk release has not worked since I bought it. And I can't go over 60 without it reving to 3,000 rpm. So gas milage isn't what you would expect. The worst thing is the cost of maintenance! But after a year and a half I am still attached, that must say something.

I just love the way it looks! I get looks every time I am driving it. All my friends are jealous!

Make it easier to get to the headlights! Do something about the high reving at low speeds. A standard CD player would be nice.