Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Breakable
By SS

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had my 1999 Volkswagen Beetle for six years and I have had to replace a little bit of everything. Everything that can go wrong with a car has. It is fun to drive a Bug, but it has so many blind spots.

I love the blue and red lights on the gages and radio.

The plastic parts need to go. Not being able to change head lights on my own is a pain. The interior stains too easily.

Cut My Losses
By Crazy for Buying

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1999 Volkswagen Beetle for my daughter and the car was OK for 50,000 miles. Then it started having major repair bills. It overheated and cost $1,200 to replace the heads, after which it still did not work right. New brakes cost $300. We had to replace three headlights at $45 each. The motor kept giving her trouble. We spend another $1,200 on it and then it died. We put in a different motor had all kinds electrical problems. Eventually the car caught on fire and was totaled. Don't buy this car unless you want a money pit.

It is cute to look at, but high maintenence.

the interior is not comfortable and the cup holders are in a terrible location.

Beetles are Extremely Uncomfortable
By baileym12

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1999 Volkswagen Beetle because I was looking for a car with good gas milage three months ago. I have to comute at least 60 miles one way to work. The seats are extremely uncomfratable, to the point where I have extreme back pain and I have to use a towel to support my lower back. The quality inside stinks, it is very poorly designed, has bad cup holders, and everything is plastic and falls off. The side mirrors are postioned very high so there is a big blind spot when you take left turns, which is very dangerous at night. The only thing that the Beetle has going for is its gas milage and reliablity. It says 32 mpg, but I can manage 34-36mpg. I haven't had any problems mechanically, but the unbearable cabin design forced me to trade it in.

Decent gas mileage.

Give it better seats, cup holders, center console, higher seating, eliminate the blind spots, improve the build quality, give it a lower reving engine (it is loud over 55 mph). The back trunk shuts if you don't catch it in time and the locks do not lock the first time w/the remote. the only good thing about this car is the engine.

Fun Car / Not Reliable
By m_dsdrc

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I love the design of the 1999 Volkswagen Beetle. It's the cutest car ever made. But it is poorly put together. What ever is made of plastic in that car is going to break. I have had to replace all the window switches in it. And now I cant use my CD player because the plastic switches on the radio have broken. My flex plate in the engine craked and had to be replaced. The actual part only cost $36 but it ended up costing me $800 after labor. So it's not that the parts are expensive is the difficulty to replace things in the car. I had to also replace my alternator, air conditioner, and the window units. My fuel door will not open from the inside If they would just fix all these minor problems it would be an exellent car!

I love the design inside and out. I also love how it handles. It goes around curves really well, it feels like you are stuck to the road. The car does not vibrate when you reach higher speeds for on the intersate. It has plenty of room inside.

Make the stuff (ex. switches, and radio buttons) that are made of plastic stronger. Better leather. The leather tends to get wear down quickly.

Monday - Friday car?
By li'l buggy

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I'd like to start by saying I love VW Beetles, always have but my little bug has given me a bit of trouble. Is it the year? Is it the day of week it was built? I have had to replace the cooling system ($$$), oil pan, airconditioner ($$$), both windows due to motor failure ($$). And the little things...fuel door won't open from inside, and knob to adjust outside mirrors is broken. It is also expensive to replace the headlights (poor design). I'm wondering if I should get another Beetle, and if Volkswagon has made any improvements in these cute cars. I love the way the Beetle maneuvers expecially on curves and in parking lots. Love to share info with anyone out there.

Love the way the Beetle handles. It handles curves with ease. It drives like it is glued to the road. I love the pick up, doesn't drag going up hills. I love the 5-speed stick, very tight with minimal roll-back. I installed a CD player, love the sound. Also love the windows - lots of visual.

I would suggest to make the car more sturdier. Get rid of the plastic knobs and make sure that things like the mirror adjustment knob, gas door opener switch and window motors last the lifetime of the car. Most importantly, PLEASE, raise the bug off the ground a few more inches.