Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Great Car - If you get just the basics
By Christian Hoy

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new in 1999, and I still own it. All in all, it’s a great car, and has never let me down. I got the GL version in order to avoid too many electrical motors and gadgets that could break down in the future and cause costly repairs. I also wanted hand-cranked windows. So far, the only thing that has failed is electirc-operated gas cap cover. I haven’t fixed it, because it’s easy to open the gas cover manually. It’s a great car to drive - turns corners on a dime and feels stable at higher speeds. As for the looks, this car looks awesome. It looks like something that flew out of a science-fiction movie.

Great Retro-Futuristic looks. Amazing utility for one person with the roof rack. Decent gas mileage. Fun to drive. Sheds rain and mositure well. Can carry a kayak or canoe well due to it's symmetrical side profile. Crash safety.

Some cheap plasic parts in high-use areas (why?) Front cup holder makes a better spare change holder, wierd set up of glove compartment interior (every time you open, stuff falls out) Too much automation for every-day easy use things (door locks, fuel cap, trunk)

Not What They Used To Be
By Rebecca

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

This is my 4th Beetle and my favorite thing about the new Beetle is that the heater works. Here's a list of things that no longer work in the car; drivers side window no longer goes up and down, tape player stopped working, antenna fell off, passenger side window motor had to be replaced (as well as driver's side, but still doesn't work because the button broke off), side view mirror button broke off, trunk doesn't latch, hood latch occasionally doesn't work, locking gas door no longer locks, A/C no longer operating. This is unbelievable considering I am the only driver of this vehicle and am no kid. Also, most importantly its oil consumption worrisome at best.

Reliability and it has a heater!

Lay off the "bells & whistles" until improvements are made.

Breakable
By SS

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had my 1999 Volkswagen Beetle for six years and I have had to replace a little bit of everything. Everything that can go wrong with a car has. It is fun to drive a Bug, but it has so many blind spots.

I love the blue and red lights on the gages and radio.

The plastic parts need to go. Not being able to change head lights on my own is a pain. The interior stains too easily.

Cut My Losses
By Crazy for Buying

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1999 Volkswagen Beetle for my daughter and the car was OK for 50,000 miles. Then it started having major repair bills. It overheated and cost $1,200 to replace the heads, after which it still did not work right. New brakes cost $300. We had to replace three headlights at $45 each. The motor kept giving her trouble. We spend another $1,200 on it and then it died. We put in a different motor had all kinds electrical problems. Eventually the car caught on fire and was totaled. Don't buy this car unless you want a money pit.

It is cute to look at, but high maintenence.

the interior is not comfortable and the cup holders are in a terrible location.

Beetles are Extremely Uncomfortable
By baileym12

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1999 Volkswagen Beetle because I was looking for a car with good gas milage three months ago. I have to comute at least 60 miles one way to work. The seats are extremely uncomfratable, to the point where I have extreme back pain and I have to use a towel to support my lower back. The quality inside stinks, it is very poorly designed, has bad cup holders, and everything is plastic and falls off. The side mirrors are postioned very high so there is a big blind spot when you take left turns, which is very dangerous at night. The only thing that the Beetle has going for is its gas milage and reliablity. It says 32 mpg, but I can manage 34-36mpg. I haven't had any problems mechanically, but the unbearable cabin design forced me to trade it in.

Decent gas mileage.

Give it better seats, cup holders, center console, higher seating, eliminate the blind spots, improve the build quality, give it a lower reving engine (it is loud over 55 mph). The back trunk shuts if you don't catch it in time and the locks do not lock the first time w/the remote. the only good thing about this car is the engine.