1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Don't Be Fooled By Good Looks
By bobk on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I've owned two older Beetles (63-69)and a 91 Jetta. As you can see I like VW's. I fell in love with the New Beetle's looks and overlooked its flaws. After 66k miles I have to admit I made a huge and costly mistake. Problems include 2 blown headlights, both power window switches broken, passenger power window won't go up, uses alot of oil, dead battery while driving, replace starter and moisture in oil. I've found out since that these are normal problems for New Beetle owners. During all of this VW won't do anything!

liked it in general but several problems
By cchrissyy on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I enjoyed driving the beetle because it was responsive and comfortable. However, we had reliability probems literally from day 1 until the last day, when we picked it up from a service apointment and drove it to be traded-in! I would have kept it longer but we outgrew it- afetr 4 weeks of a baby riding in the back, enouh was enough! we needed a 4-door.

I love this car
By sammyjack on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

This is the best car I have ever driven for the money. Mine even has heated leather seats, which are so nice. I even bought the car used, and it is in great condition.

I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER VOLKSWAGON AGAIN
By joeydee on 01/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

THIS IS THE MOST UNRELIABLE CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!I HAVE BEEN TO THE SHOP A COUNTLESS NUMBER OF TIMES FOR EVERYTHING FROM MINOR ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS(POWER WINDOW REGULATORS,RADIO MALFUNCTIONS,FAULTY TAIL LAMPS) TO MAJOR ENGINE PROBLEMS(UNEXPECTED ENGINE THRUSTING DUE TO A DEFECTIVE THROTTLE BODY AND THE CAR JUST NOT STARTING- UNKNOWN CAUSE).

VW New Beatle
By gilandis on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have has several problems with the vehicle. The most recurring problem has been with the windows switches. They have been replaced three times; two under warranty and once at my expense. The battery needed replacement after 3 years.

Love It ! Coooool Car
By New Beetle Lover on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

Love the car, it's cute as can be! After 4 years I'm still getting compliments on the look. Have had no negative problems. Some parts can be expensive, but that true on any foreign car.

excellent car
By luke m. on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

no problems got 50,000 mil. now what a car. Get it. No problems at all. Just small break problem but that`s my own fault for buying cheap breakes.

best car
By meagan on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

get it youl like it

Don't make a mistake!
By NissanOwner on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

What a waste of money and time! This car was a problem from the minute I got it (new). As have others, I could list a long list of problem parts which were replaced. They never could fix the howling sound that came out of the A/C - from the first time it was used. Obviously VW knew they didn't have a reliable car when they only offered a 2 year warrenty. I'd never buy a VW or Audi again.

Exellent Car!!!
By nubugman on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I don't know what these other people have done to there car, but I have 90000 miles on mine and very few proplems. I had to replace the window regulator at 84000 miles and it only cost my $100 plus 1/2hr labor. Other than that is has run perfect. Fun car to drive.