Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

What a fun car!
By Alice

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my Beetle. It is fun to drive...like driving a big go cart. I have had to have the transmission replaced and a new starter. That is all that has been replaced and it has almost 91,000 miles on it. If it had better gas mileage that would be good. It is a great little car. I will definitely buy another...only it will be a manual with a sunroof or convertible.

The whole thing.

Better gas mileage.

The Bug that just kept Going...
By javbw

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have a 1999 (2/24/99) GLS bug with 200,000 miles on it, and I drive the heck out of it. I drive it fast, hard, and occaisionally offroad. (get the sport springs). I'm very hard on the things I own, and the fact my Bug is still with me is a testament to it's inital design and early warranty recalls (window switches and a couple sensors back around year 2) - all the "bells and whisles" worriers can forget about it for their next car - and get auto door locks and windows already! All of my issues have stemmed from things thrown at my car on the freeway (rocks, ladders, etc) and as long as you keep up with the maintaince, shocks, and a failed engine sensor every year, you're good.

I love the good cabin room, design, dhape, front seats, handling (after sport springs), fit of build, overall engineering of the car and individual pieces. It is better than any US car I've ever sat in / drove (and yeah, I've owned 'em).

Improve the engine access, make it easier to remove the front clip? automatic transmission fluid level and filler cap please! no 100$ trips to the dealership so they can use a water bottle and a hose to add fluid - I can do that! My car currently leaks fluid from oil and ATF fluid the dealership can't find it (boo!)

Great Car - If you get just the basics
By Christian Hoy

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new in 1999, and I still own it. All in all, it’s a great car, and has never let me down. I got the GL version in order to avoid too many electrical motors and gadgets that could break down in the future and cause costly repairs. I also wanted hand-cranked windows. So far, the only thing that has failed is electirc-operated gas cap cover. I haven’t fixed it, because it’s easy to open the gas cover manually. It’s a great car to drive - turns corners on a dime and feels stable at higher speeds. As for the looks, this car looks awesome. It looks like something that flew out of a science-fiction movie.

Great Retro-Futuristic looks. Amazing utility for one person with the roof rack. Decent gas mileage. Fun to drive. Sheds rain and mositure well. Can carry a kayak or canoe well due to it's symmetrical side profile. Crash safety.

Some cheap plasic parts in high-use areas (why?) Front cup holder makes a better spare change holder, wierd set up of glove compartment interior (every time you open, stuff falls out) Too much automation for every-day easy use things (door locks, fuel cap, trunk)

Not What They Used To Be
By Rebecca

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

This is my 4th Beetle and my favorite thing about the new Beetle is that the heater works. Here's a list of things that no longer work in the car; drivers side window no longer goes up and down, tape player stopped working, antenna fell off, passenger side window motor had to be replaced (as well as driver's side, but still doesn't work because the button broke off), side view mirror button broke off, trunk doesn't latch, hood latch occasionally doesn't work, locking gas door no longer locks, A/C no longer operating. This is unbelievable considering I am the only driver of this vehicle and am no kid. Also, most importantly its oil consumption worrisome at best.

Reliability and it has a heater!

Lay off the "bells & whistles" until improvements are made.

Breakable
By SS

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had my 1999 Volkswagen Beetle for six years and I have had to replace a little bit of everything. Everything that can go wrong with a car has. It is fun to drive a Bug, but it has so many blind spots.

I love the blue and red lights on the gages and radio.

The plastic parts need to go. Not being able to change head lights on my own is a pain. The interior stains too easily.