1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Amazing Car
By BeRocketMan on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

This is one of the most trustworthy cars I've ever driven. The only downside is that it's rather low to the ground and can cause problems on bad pavement, but you will have that with any low car. Overall this is an excellent car!

Best looking car ever
By cpapakon on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

No problems until 30,000 miles Everythings works like new. Awesome car.

LOVE MY BUG!!!
By VW LOVER on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY VW BEETLE....SURE, I'VE HAD A FEW PROBLEMS WITH IT, BUT WHO DOSEN'T HAVE ANY CAR PROBLEMS?? MY WINDOW BROKE BUT THEY REPLACED IT & ALSO WENT AHEAD & REPLACED MY OTHER ONE, BECAUSE THEY HAD A NEW, IMPROVED MOTOR FOR THE WINDOWS. I LOVE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD & SEEING PEOPLE LOOK & SMILE AT ME!!! I WOULDN'T TRADE MINE FOR THE WORLD.

My Yellow TDi Bug
By Manu/nothias on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

Lots of head turning, and a fast bug with 49 mpg. Could not have asked more. Have some interior youth defaults, fixed on the newer models. 83000 miles and still going like new. Love passing on the left lane, and seing the SUV stopping for gas. Love that Bug even if I did not really want one, was the only TDi on the lot.

Fun Car...with lots of problems.
By ytaK on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

The VW Beetle is, without a doubt, a fun car to look at and drive. I love seeing the smiles on other peoples' faces as I drive by. That's not the only reason to drive a car, though. Just six days after buying this car, I stalled out in a parking lot. After 3 days of arguing with the manager of my dealership and the service department, they finally figured out that the air flow meter was nonfunctioning. Both power window switches broke within 6 months. The cap to the parking brake fell off just a few months ago. The A/C doesn't run cool enough, and makes a loud squeaking noise, which no one can seem to correct. This poor car is falling apart piece by piece.

Run away now. Don't buy
By joe smith jones on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

This vehicle is complete garbage. The vehicle seems to be in the shop more then out. If it wasn't that my wife loves the style,it would be gone. I wildest dream is that I wake up one morning it it was stolen from my driveway. No such luck.. Even thieves don't it. I have had problems with the diesiel engine, more times then I can image, replaced AC, power windows at least two times on each side, along with numerous other patrs. brakes lasted 20000 miles. Service has been horrible at best. Want to make lots of money, open a trustworthy VW shop in Baltimore. The best I could do for this vehilce is schedule it for a crusher at a local junk yard.

DON'T BUY!!!!
By had enough on 03/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Spend way to much time in the shop. Some problems kept coming back over and over again. The color of yellow was a good color for this car.

Love the body, HATE its guts!
By kmad on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

It is constantly running out of oil. Just had to put in 2 quarts yesterday. The door locks work only when they want to and the AC doesn't seem to be a cold as it should. Trying to work with the service departments can make a person go bald. (from pulling your hair out). They actually told me that my car was using up oil because oil in the US is different from oil in Germany so I need to check it often and add oil as needed. They estimated 1 quart every 800 miles. If this were true I'm sure VW would be importing SPECIAL German oil for VW owners, put an outragous price on it per quart and make a huge profit on it. My car only has 40k miles on it!!!

New Beetle
By rosey on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Lots of little things go wrong with it.....power windows, hub caps fall off, signals don't work, leak in cooling system. Poor warrenty.

The car is cool!!
By ldfuller on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've wanted a Beetle from the first time I heard about them. I got my wish. The only problems I've had with the car were not because of manufacturing it was because the dealership sold me a car that had been damaged and repaired. I absolutely LOVE my Beetle. Everyone should drive one. Okay not everyone, Just me the PRINCESS :D