Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle
By zoomzoom06

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Ok, so I loved this car when I first got it. Fun to drive, envy of friends, etc. Well, then the problems started. This car eats fluids like crazy, the oil and anitfreeze especially. The fuse for the brakelights blew. The 'check engine' and ABS lights stay on for no reason. I have heard these are common problems, but come on, you'd think they would have fixed them. Also, I hate pumping it with gas. If the pump's nozzle is not in just the right position, the stupid thing stops because the sensor says the tank is full although it is not. There are so many more problems I could list, but there is not enough room to put them all down! Reconsider whether or not to purchase, and don't do it!

Favorite Features

Sooo fun to drive, very sturdy exterior, easy to manuever due to small build, large interior - great for tall people like me, love the sound of the engine on acceleration, cools quickly when ac is on.

Suggested Improvements

Fewer blind spots, fix the quality of the engine, smoother ride - bumps are hard to take in this.

The Bug
By Stuntman

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

VW Beetles are great cars. They are solid and fun to drive. Handling-wise the stock H rated tires crimp them a little, but upgrade to a Y, or Z rated tire and WOW she handles better then my Toyota MR2. Drivetrain-wise the gears are perfect for the power. She will scoot up to 60 in about 7-8 sec (manual 2.0). This is a heck of a fun car to drive on a windy road. It gets great gas mileage, 30-32 mpg highway.

Favorite Features

The design, power, handling, solid build materials, and oh yeah did I mention they are German!

Suggested Improvements

Give it a little more power (speed freak here). It should have a metal water pump impeller (the stock one is plastic and will fail at 95,000 - 108,000 miles)

Little Things...
By Ladys Bug

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my '99 Beetle with 38,000 miles on it. It now has 52,000 miles. It is pretty good overall, despite the little "Mickey Mouse" problems that most bug owners complain about (cup holders, visors, etc.). The cloth seats do stain easily. The plastic does melt and scratch/break easily. The lights are iffy, however they are not as hard to replace as most think. Get a Haynes Repair manual (about $12 at any auto shop). My car's headlight was replaced in 10 minutes and for only $3 (the cost of the bulb). Everything seems to be working fine except for the CD player which is located in the trunk and a leak in my a.c. evaporator. The shop quoted me about $2,000 to fix it. I said "no thanks" and just added freon. It's good for now until it all leaks out again, in which case i will add more freon.

Favorite Features

The acceleration, handling on curves and turns, exterior styling, good gas mileage, front seats are roomy, good sound system, interior lights, and how it shifts easily.

Suggested Improvements

It should have better cup holders, smaller blind spots, bigger sun visors, and and what's up with the cheap plastic?!?! How about something that doesn't melt? I should have more room in the backseat, maybe some power seats? The turny knob to adjust the seat is a pain in the butt. It should have a bigger trunk and easier engine access.

Good Car
By Alisa

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've owned my '99 for seven months. I had a '98 Beetle for a year and half before I got this one. When I got into an accident there was no doubt I was getting another Bug. It's a great car, and it does well in the mountains and on long high trips. I've had to change both headlight bulbs, window motors, serpentine belts and the AC has a leak. Aside from these minor things (which I've come to find EVERY car manufacturer has) the car runs great, is fun to drive, and I get tons of compliments on my cute red car. I'm hoping to upgrade to a newer, higher model soon.

Favorite Features

The space, three-way adjusting seats, telescoping steering wheel, easy to shift, and the "zippiness" of the 2.0 liter engine.

Suggested Improvements

This car is hard to work on for do it yourselfers, the sun visors are useless, the cloth upholstery is hard to keep clean, and wish I had leather and a sunroof.

What a fun car!
By Alice

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my Beetle. It is fun to drive...like driving a big go cart. I have had to have the transmission replaced and a new starter. That is all that has been replaced and it has almost 91,000 miles on it. If it had better gas mileage that would be good. It is a great little car. I will definitely buy another...only it will be a manual with a sunroof or convertible.

Favorite Features

The whole thing.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.