1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Heartbreaker
By RachieSLC on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I was so excited when I bought my Beetle. I had wanted one since they came out in 1998. I had about a good 2 months until I realized the air conditioning didn't work, which was just the beginning of my repair woes. I have had my car in THREE times to have the air conditioner fixed along with the windows and window switches, the gas and trunk hatches, the temperature guage, and other problems. In the two years I owned this car, I took it to have it fixed TEN TIMES. My clutch went out and it cost $1400 to have it fixed. The week after that, my check engine light came on. I sold that lemon and bought a Civic Si.

love bugs
By mssktty18 on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Its wonderful fun to drive,You don't have to worry every week about filling your gas tank.its great!They drive quite and run wonderfully.

Calling Dr.Porsche
By BuySwedish on 01/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

You can spend millions if not billions on quirky,Mtv like commercials, but you can't build a quality car?I have to say it is by far the worse car I have ever owned.This is coming from a guy who has owned three Saab 900's.Why is this? Well,Everything falls apart,everything from the side mirrors to the shift knob, to the gas door, to the window switches, to the melted fuses to the terrible radio(hasn't worked in a year)

ode to a new beetle
By lansing on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

While it was love at first sight, the affair turned out to fade with higher maintenance costs than my second wife. The Dick Dean has a shabby, little practice of adding 10% more to the overall price as a 'market adjustment", which since cured me of ever buying a VW from them again. Their only saving grace is their service department, which treats customers as if they matter. The only problem with the service department, is I see too much of them. After 32,000 miles, every thing on the car started falling apart, or needed replacing at $92/hour. Now that the romance has faded, I will never fall in love again with anything on the lot at Dick Dean VW.

Owners found short love affair
By Terry Poole on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

This car started out as a gem. The problem experienced are the same as most bug owners( window switch, window track, mirror knob, dead battery, trim coming off, abnormal tire wear, The worst being it burns oil and intermittantly runs hot. The dealers cant seem to correct the the last two issues.

Bought mine used and no problems
By Bananarama on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

bought my little GLS used with 40000 miles on it, and no problems to tell you about...As stated in other reviews, the cupholders need work, needs a bigger windshield mirror, and the 2.0GLS needs a 6 speed tranny...the 5 speed revs at 4000 rpms at 80 mph, sounds like the engine is going to blow!...All together, a very fun, reliable, gas worthly car to drive.

It's horrible!!
By lucy99 on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

Just like every other Beetle owner i've talked to, I have had nothing but problems with this car. Besides the horrible designs on the inside (cd changer in the trunk, cup holders unreachable, giant blind spots in every corner), i find new problems every day. After slightly over 3 years, we had to buy a new engine and there's been even more problems since we got it. There has been too many recalled parts to even count. The dealers are horrible and have broken more stuff than they have fixed. I just traded in this timebomb for a reliable toyota and will never buy another VW.

Save Yourself
By Thomas Davis on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

The reliablity of this model is far below expectations, requiring over $5,000 of repairs in the past 4 years especially exhaust windows and amenities and gear shift/gear train. Stay away from this lemon!

No where to go
By Slugbug flu on 09/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Problems from the start. The gas cap will not release. Battery died just after 2 years old. Dont ever jump start! A/C fan is dead. Starter dead. Brake cover fell off as did the mirrow button. Now the car has been in the shop 5 times for a over heating problem that they cant even seem to fix. The car has been a problem from the start. I have so many other things just no more room. VW hirer better engineers.

Fun. downside: window/lock switches.
By jjd on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

The only crticism of this fun-to-drive car is the window and lock switches were of poor quality. The difficulty in changing headlamps is a myth (even the owner's manual tells owners to take it to the dealership--I got a $53 estimate to change it). I found a procedure on the inernet and changed the passenger side headlamp quickly and for $7--the cost of the bulb.