Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Love this bug
By tb

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I love my yellow color bug. No problems, fantastic on gas. I love all the features on the car. My car is a 1999 VW Bug. I love how the inside dash board lights up blue at night. The seats are really comfortable. When you get on the highway it really responds fast. The car has been mantained.

The dash board lighting up blue. The intermittent wipers. The daytime running lights.

Not my Grandma's '58
By straightliner

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

First VW I've owned. Purchased used w/55K and doubled the mileage. Not bad in the beginning, but repairs have been escalating. Went through three water pumps, mass air flow sensor failed, intake leak (causing check engine light and failed emissions), radiator replacement. Funny, but all the electrical glitches and broken plastic others complain about haven't been a problem. The alarm system never seemed to work as advertised, trunk latch doesn't always catch and I got stranded w/the valet key once, but otherwise OK. Fun to drive, love the stick and still turns heads after all these years. I'm glad I tried it, but approaching 110K and $4,000 in repairs, I'm ambivalent.

Cute styling, fun factor, non-turbo nets an extra 10 mpg (I get about 30 with city/hwy mix, but have seen as high as 37 pure hwy), cool way the seats fold fwd, spacious interior and head/leg room (in front only!).

Need a big quality improvement. Three gang cupholders under console are ridiculous for cups, but are perfect for a coin holder, small bottle of hand lotion, and cell phone.

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle
By zoomzoom06

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Ok, so I loved this car when I first got it. Fun to drive, envy of friends, etc. Well, then the problems started. This car eats fluids like crazy, the oil and anitfreeze especially. The fuse for the brakelights blew. The 'check engine' and ABS lights stay on for no reason. I have heard these are common problems, but come on, you'd think they would have fixed them. Also, I hate pumping it with gas. If the pump's nozzle is not in just the right position, the stupid thing stops because the sensor says the tank is full although it is not. There are so many more problems I could list, but there is not enough room to put them all down! Reconsider whether or not to purchase, and don't do it!

Sooo fun to drive, very sturdy exterior, easy to manuever due to small build, large interior - great for tall people like me, love the sound of the engine on acceleration, cools quickly when ac is on.

Fewer blind spots, fix the quality of the engine, smoother ride - bumps are hard to take in this.

The Bug
By Stuntman

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

VW Beetles are great cars. They are solid and fun to drive. Handling-wise the stock H rated tires crimp them a little, but upgrade to a Y, or Z rated tire and WOW she handles better then my Toyota MR2. Drivetrain-wise the gears are perfect for the power. She will scoot up to 60 in about 7-8 sec (manual 2.0). This is a heck of a fun car to drive on a windy road. It gets great gas mileage, 30-32 mpg highway.

The design, power, handling, solid build materials, and oh yeah did I mention they are German!

Give it a little more power (speed freak here). It should have a metal water pump impeller (the stock one is plastic and will fail at 95,000 - 108,000 miles)

Little Things...
By Ladys Bug

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my '99 Beetle with 38,000 miles on it. It now has 52,000 miles. It is pretty good overall, despite the little "Mickey Mouse" problems that most bug owners complain about (cup holders, visors, etc.). The cloth seats do stain easily. The plastic does melt and scratch/break easily. The lights are iffy, however they are not as hard to replace as most think. Get a Haynes Repair manual (about $12 at any auto shop). My car's headlight was replaced in 10 minutes and for only $3 (the cost of the bulb). Everything seems to be working fine except for the CD player which is located in the trunk and a leak in my a.c. evaporator. The shop quoted me about $2,000 to fix it. I said "no thanks" and just added freon. It's good for now until it all leaks out again, in which case i will add more freon.

The acceleration, handling on curves and turns, exterior styling, good gas mileage, front seats are roomy, good sound system, interior lights, and how it shifts easily.

It should have better cup holders, smaller blind spots, bigger sun visors, and and what's up with the cheap plastic?!?! How about something that doesn't melt? I should have more room in the backseat, maybe some power seats? The turny knob to adjust the seat is a pain in the butt. It should have a bigger trunk and easier engine access.