1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

So disappointed
By Andrea

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This car was bought with 32,000 miles. It now has 56,000. Let me put it this way, I will never buy a VW again. I hope this will help some poor soul from making a $5000 dollar mistake. That was $5,000 dollars in repairs. Too many to list. Worst was mass air flow sensor and fuel injectors. Who ever heard of replacing fuel injectors!?

Favorite Features

5-speed is fun but I guess any 5-speed would be.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the same engineering as in' 69.

Great.....at the begining
By Aryn

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

At first I loved my bug, and now I still love the way it looks. I haven't had any major mechanical problems, but my headlights went out and I took it to Tires Plus and they had the hardest time trying to put new headlights in and didn't get them fixed the first time so I had to go twice. I also have never had all of my break lights work, even 10 minutes after they are replaced. The trunk release has not worked since I bought it. And I can't go over 60 without it reving to 3,000 rpm. So gas milage isn't what you would expect. The worst thing is the cost of maintenance! But after a year and a half I am still attached, that must say something.

Favorite Features

I just love the way it looks! I get looks every time I am driving it. All my friends are jealous!

Suggested Improvements

Make it easier to get to the headlights! Do something about the high reving at low speeds. A standard CD player would be nice.

Never Again
By JJ

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

This my LAST VW. I have electrical problems galore. Now the headliner is coming off and some of the leather on the driver's door is coming unglued. What terrible quality for a German car, and VW won't stand behind their own work after a measly three years. I am going back to the Japanese cars. They know how to make quality and stand behind their products.

Favorite Features

Good looks.

Suggested Improvements

Design and build a car to last. I had better quality from Detroit!

Bugged Out
By dbug

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have owned the car for two years. I bought it with 33k miles on it and it now has 86k. The major problem I had with the car was the plastic grill. A plastic highway cone hit the front grill and broke it. $3600 dollars worth of damage! Then a week after I got the car back the compressor failed. The VW dealership who did the work claimed that one didnít affect the other but since they had to take the entire front of the car apart it seems rather suspect. They want $1700 for a new compressor. Everything on the car is plastic and either breaks or falls off. I wonít be buying another VW product.

Suggested Improvements

Use better parts.

VW Luv my bug
By NancyP

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Okay, only owned it for 2 months, but what a joy to drive! Responsive in traffic- big plus. Shifting a breeze with the 5-speed. Cuter than cute! Safe, fun, performs when asked-- what more could you ask for?

Favorite Features

Style, easy access back seats, have I mentioned that it it sooo cute?

Suggested Improvements

Two words- cup holders. What were they thinking? Not only under the dash, but break one and it'll cost you $49 to replace.

Lotsa small problems
By joeynemo

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Fun car, a lot of Micky Mouse little things that fall apart; Cables, hoses, plastic bits. Everything is held together with plastic, while replacing normal wear and tear items the plastic just breaks during disassembly or reassemmbly. This car is not built to last very long. After 100k miles nothing major has needed to be done but it seems that is just around the corner. Has always burnt oil and has some hesitation while accelerating.

Favorite Features

The handling and smooth drive.

Suggested Improvements

Quality parts and workmanship.

Back to the future
By LionJR

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Highly reliable, efficient, fun to drive transportation. It is very adaptable to carrying people, pets, and lots of tailgating stuff. Gets more looks than my neighbor's BMW. Great gas mileage. A good car to run around town or travel distances. Finding good tires has been the only challenge.

Favorite Features

4 speed, low to the ground, corners well, great gas mileage, good sound system, body is easy to care for, great safety cage.

Suggested Improvements

Better, larger, sun visors to cover more of the large windshield.

Great Car
By psfriend

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

This car has been the best that I have owned....very clever design features, loads of headroom (I am 6'4" tall) and good handling...excellent reliability. I would recommend this make/model for folks who want a fun and relatively inexpensive mode of transportation.

Favorite Features

Head room, Styling.

Suggested Improvements

Fabric on seats seems to stain a bit too easily.....I would opt for leather seats.

Good stuff
By Robert94114

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have not had any problems with this car. The only pet peves I have is the cup holders and the reverse takes so long to shift the gear on the automatic.

Suggested Improvements

Raise the nose guard up a bit

Don't get one
By RollTide

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

My VW is fun to drive howeever I am not sure I can afford to drive it... Although I did purchase an extended warranty I am out over $1000.00 in one year. Knobs fall off, lights go bad, 27 miles to the gallon, Radio Sux, Poor workmanship

Favorite Features

Sporty, a head turner, when it runs very good performance.

Suggested Improvements

I understand that on newer models VW has improved workmanship and reliabilty.