1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
So disappointed
By Andrea on 07/31/05 21:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This car was bought with 32,000 miles. It now has 56,000. Let me put it this way, I will never buy a VW again. I hope this will help some poor soul from making a $5000 dollar mistake. That was $5,000 dollars in repairs. Too many to list. Worst was mass air flow sensor and fuel injectors. Who ever heard of replacing fuel injectors!?

Great.....at the begining
By Aryn on 02/16/05 18:20 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

At first I loved my bug, and now I still love the way it looks. I haven't had any major mechanical problems, but my headlights went out and I took it to Tires Plus and they had the hardest time trying to put new headlights in and didn't get them fixed the first time so I had to go twice. I also have never had all of my break lights work, even 10 minutes after they are replaced. The trunk release has not worked since I bought it. And I can't go over 60 without it reving to 3,000 rpm. So gas milage isn't what you would expect. The worst thing is the cost of maintenance! But after a year and a half I am still attached, that must say something.

Never Again
By JJ on 12/21/04 22:10 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

This my LAST VW. I have electrical problems galore. Now the headliner is coming off and some of the leather on the driver's door is coming unglued. What terrible quality for a German car, and VW won't stand behind their own work after a measly three years. I am going back to the Japanese cars. They know how to make quality and stand behind their products.

Bugged Out
By dbug on 11/10/04 16:50 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have owned the car for two years. I bought it with 33k miles on it and it now has 86k. The major problem I had with the car was the plastic grill. A plastic highway cone hit the front grill and broke it. $3600 dollars worth of damage! Then a week after I got the car back the compressor failed. The VW dealership who did the work claimed that one didnít affect the other but since they had to take the entire front of the car apart it seems rather suspect. They want $1700 for a new compressor. Everything on the car is plastic and either breaks or falls off. I wonít be buying another VW product.

VW Luv my bug
By NancyP on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Okay, only owned it for 2 months, but what a joy to drive! Responsive in traffic- big plus. Shifting a breeze with the 5-speed. Cuter than cute! Safe, fun, performs when asked-- what more could you ask for?

Lotsa small problems
By joeynemo on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Fun car, a lot of Micky Mouse little things that fall apart; Cables, hoses, plastic bits. Everything is held together with plastic, while replacing normal wear and tear items the plastic just breaks during disassembly or reassemmbly. This car is not built to last very long. After 100k miles nothing major has needed to be done but it seems that is just around the corner. Has always burnt oil and has some hesitation while accelerating.

Back to the future
By LionJR on 06/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Highly reliable, efficient, fun to drive transportation. It is very adaptable to carrying people, pets, and lots of tailgating stuff. Gets more looks than my neighbor's BMW. Great gas mileage. A good car to run around town or travel distances. Finding good tires has been the only challenge.

Great Car
By psfriend on 04/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

This car has been the best that I have owned....very clever design features, loads of headroom (I am 6'4" tall) and good handling...excellent reliability. I would recommend this make/model for folks who want a fun and relatively inexpensive mode of transportation.

Good stuff
By Robert94114 on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have not had any problems with this car. The only pet peves I have is the cup holders and the reverse takes so long to shift the gear on the automatic.

Don't get one
By RollTide on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

My VW is fun to drive howeever I am not sure I can afford to drive it... Although I did purchase an extended warranty I am out over $1000.00 in one year. Knobs fall off, lights go bad, 27 miles to the gallon, Radio Sux, Poor workmanship