Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

A true gem
By sunnygirl

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

After the purchase of our 99 beetle we have only been back to the dealership for oil changes, nothing else. We purchased the car through the CPO program and never looked back. This car is the best car we have ever owned, hands down!

We love the fuel economy and the fun it adds to my wife's drive to work every day.

Advertise more, the VW brand could be much stronger in the US.

I have gotten my money's worth!
By Emilee

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought my bug used on Ebay for $6500 with 75,000 miles on it. It now has $130K miles and is still going strong. I have maintained this vehicle and it only broke down once when some board fried out and cost me $238. The AC Compressor did go out and the dealership quoted $1200 to replace it. Instead I bought a compressor on Ebay for $200 and my mechanic put it in for $200 and its been working fine. It seems like the headlights and brake lights go out a lot and are very expensive to replace. Poor design that allows water intrusion. The trunk latch and gas cap latch stopped working at 100K and the alarm has never worked right. Minor issues overall! I still love it & would buy another.

Fold down seat, consistent gas mileage of 26 mpg in the city, overall comfort, sporty design

Interior plastic, redesign lights, fix freaky alarm

Never Again
By vw99

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car used from a VW dealership, said it had been checked out and was in great condition. 6 months later came in for extensive engine repairs, have been back to the service department at least 4 times a year since then for random electrical failures. Check engine light is on at least once a month for no reason, I go in and pay $90 for them to turn it off. Have spent over half of what I paid for the car in repairs and that is with taking it to cheaper garages instead of paying the ridiculous prices at the dealership. It is very cute and fun to drive but extremely poor quality and the most unreliable car I've ever driven. Do not make the same mistake!

Blue dash lights, heated leather seats, fun to drive

VW needs to step up their quality and stand by their work. Service departments unhelpful and overpriced by hundreds.

Love-Bug
By JerseyShore524

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Love my car! I can fit 3 adults (me included) and a car seat quite comfortably. It hugs turns and is quick as a bunny. German cars are really made better!!

Blue dash lights...ample power outlets..cute fold away key.

Was not thrilled about not being able to fit my child's stroller in the trunk. Drink holders are kind of useless unless you have a can. Tape deck outdated.

A good and a bad car.
By Tara

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

A week ago I wrote a review for me bug and a couple of days when I wrote the review I have noticed that the transmission is doing some weird noises.

the blue and red on the dashboard