1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
TDI Diesel Beetle After Seven Years
By diesel on 08/18/06 16:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

After seven years of daily use, I am still very happy with my Beetle. Other New Beetles have had reliability problems, but I have had no problems with the engine or transmission. I have had minor problems with the window switches breaking, but the replacements seem to have held up. This is a much better engine than the 2.0L gas, and it gives far better economy. The downside is whenever we go somewhere I always have to drive!

What a fun car!
By Alice on 07/15/06 13:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my Beetle. It is fun to drive...like driving a big go cart. I have had to have the transmission replaced and a new starter. That is all that has been replaced and it has almost 91,000 miles on it. If it had better gas mileage that would be good. It is a great little car. I will definitely buy another...only it will be a manual with a sunroof or convertible.

The Bug that just kept Going...
By javbw on 05/31/06 23:21 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have a 1999 (2/24/99) GLS bug with 200,000 miles on it, and I drive the heck out of it. I drive it fast, hard, and occaisionally offroad. (get the sport springs). I'm very hard on the things I own, and the fact my Bug is still with me is a testament to it's inital design and early warranty recalls (window switches and a couple sensors back around year 2) - all the "bells and whisles" worriers can forget about it for their next car - and get auto door locks and windows already! All of my issues have stemmed from things thrown at my car on the freeway (rocks, ladders, etc) and as long as you keep up with the maintaince, shocks, and a failed engine sensor every year, you're good.

Great Car - If you get just the basics
By Christian Hoy on 05/03/06 11:13 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new in 1999, and I still own it. All in all, itís a great car, and has never let me down. I got the GL version in order to avoid too many electrical motors and gadgets that could break down in the future and cause costly repairs. I also wanted hand-cranked windows. So far, the only thing that has failed is electirc-operated gas cap cover. I havenít fixed it, because itís easy to open the gas cover manually. Itís a great car to drive - turns corners on a dime and feels stable at higher speeds. As for the looks, this car looks awesome. It looks like something that flew out of a science-fiction movie.

Not What They Used To Be
By Rebecca on 03/05/06 01:50 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

This is my 4th Beetle and my favorite thing about the new Beetle is that the heater works. Here's a list of things that no longer work in the car; drivers side window no longer goes up and down, tape player stopped working, antenna fell off, passenger side window motor had to be replaced (as well as driver's side, but still doesn't work because the button broke off), side view mirror button broke off, trunk doesn't latch, hood latch occasionally doesn't work, locking gas door no longer locks, A/C no longer operating. This is unbelievable considering I am the only driver of this vehicle and am no kid. Also, most importantly its oil consumption worrisome at best.

Breakable
By SS on 01/14/06 23:18 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had my 1999 Volkswagen Beetle for six years and I have had to replace a little bit of everything. Everything that can go wrong with a car has. It is fun to drive a Bug, but it has so many blind spots.

Cut My Losses
By Crazy for Buying on 01/14/06 13:31 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1999 Volkswagen Beetle for my daughter and the car was OK for 50,000 miles. Then it started having major repair bills. It overheated and cost $1,200 to replace the heads, after which it still did not work right. New brakes cost $300. We had to replace three headlights at $45 each. The motor kept giving her trouble. We spend another $1,200 on it and then it died. We put in a different motor had all kinds electrical problems. Eventually the car caught on fire and was totaled. Don't buy this car unless you want a money pit.

Beetles are Extremely Uncomfortable
By baileym12 on 10/05/05 19:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1999 Volkswagen Beetle because I was looking for a car with good gas milage three months ago. I have to comute at least 60 miles one way to work. The seats are extremely uncomfratable, to the point where I have extreme back pain and I have to use a towel to support my lower back. The quality inside stinks, it is very poorly designed, has bad cup holders, and everything is plastic and falls off. The side mirrors are postioned very high so there is a big blind spot when you take left turns, which is very dangerous at night. The only thing that the Beetle has going for is its gas milage and reliablity. It says 32 mpg, but I can manage 34-36mpg. I haven't had any problems mechanically, but the unbearable cabin design forced me to trade it in.

Fun Car / Not Reliable
By m_dsdrc on 09/24/05 00:19 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I love the design of the 1999 Volkswagen Beetle. It's the cutest car ever made. But it is poorly put together. What ever is made of plastic in that car is going to break. I have had to replace all the window switches in it. And now I cant use my CD player because the plastic switches on the radio have broken. My flex plate in the engine craked and had to be replaced. The actual part only cost $36 but it ended up costing me $800 after labor. So it's not that the parts are expensive is the difficulty to replace things in the car. I had to also replace my alternator, air conditioner, and the window units. My fuel door will not open from the inside If they would just fix all these minor problems it would be an exellent car!

Monday - Friday car?
By li'l buggy on 08/25/05 11:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I'd like to start by saying I love VW Beetles, always have but my little bug has given me a bit of trouble. Is it the year? Is it the day of week it was built? I have had to replace the cooling system ($$$), oil pan, airconditioner ($$$), both windows due to motor failure ($$). And the little things...fuel door won't open from inside, and knob to adjust outside mirrors is broken. It is also expensive to replace the headlights (poor design). I'm wondering if I should get another Beetle, and if Volkswagon has made any improvements in these cute cars. I love the way the Beetle maneuvers expecially on curves and in parking lots. Love to share info with anyone out there.