Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

In Love with the Beetle
By Beetle Bill

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car back in 1999 drove it until our daughter turned 16 and gave it to her. She took it to college and her first job. I took it back when it had water pump problem at 100,000 miles. Otherwise the engine runs like a Swiss watch. A couple of buttons have broken but I figure that to be expected after 10 years. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

The dashboard lights, the flower vase, the huge dashboard where one can puts an entire pizza box.

Love it so far!
By Dangercart82

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Just got my 1999- cyber green- 2.0 -5 speed with 82k miles. So far I love it! For a 10 year old car it looks outstanding, (Cyber green faded slightly but that is to be expected) It had one previous owner and was well maintained. I had to replace the timing belt right away because it had never been done and the motor for the window/lock on the drivers side was dead (also to be expected.) The ABS light is always on, not sure if that's a big deal or not yet the brakes seem to work fine. Other than all that she is perfect :)

Favorite Features

I love the cyber green, even slightly faded it looks great, turns heads. The 5-speed is peppy, lots of get up and go, engine is quiet as a mouse, VW factory sound system sounds great, surprisingly roomy interior, power everything is cool and I like how the trunk sounds like a space pod opening

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders! Who approved that? No one drinks cans in the car and thats all that will fit. Also the blind spot is much bigger than my old subcompact ford zx2 and kind of caught me offgaurd. An armrest or something between the driver and passenger seats would have been nice too.

My Review
By Patman89

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 1999 Red New Beetle for almost two years now... The first year I never had any problems! But my car overheated and dummy me I kept driving with the red coolant light on for about 20 minutes on interstate 80. Luckily no serious damaged was done, but I paid $1100 for labor and the replacements. But I love my Beetle, I really want a newer one thats redesigned, I'm always jealous when I see them. I've been lucky to not have major problems. However, the sun visors on the top do not block the sun at all! The cup holders don't work well since it's under the dashboard. And I notice my seats are that comfy compared to a 2005 model and for long drives my back hurts.

Favorite Features

My key, interior lights, sound system,

Suggested Improvements

Thankfully, in the 2006+ models the cup holders area changed. I paid $5,500 for mine on 11/2007 with 117k miles, now I have 143k

You Pay for the performance of a VW
By jay

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought it used with 40K miles. Have used it for commuting and drive it hard over two mountains every day. The speed, handling and torque is outstanding. Use V or Z rated tires for better handling. Great in snow! I average 36mpg with an automatic driving hard. Body still looks new. Needs extended sun visors!!! Now the negatives....from 92K to 135K was about $4K in maintainence-- exhaust;cat. converter; axle boots; plus the ENIGINE LIGHT at least 2 time per year at a cost of 3-400 each time! Now faced at 145K whether to keep to dump as I can still pass everyone on the road and go uphills at incredible speed and confidence. Plus--an incredible stereo and safety features for a 10 yr car

Favorite Features

The get up and Go!

Suggested Improvements

Sun visors and cup holders! Many broken knobs, etc.

A true gem
By sunnygirl

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

After the purchase of our 99 beetle we have only been back to the dealership for oil changes, nothing else. We purchased the car through the CPO program and never looked back. This car is the best car we have ever owned, hands down!

Favorite Features

We love the fuel economy and the fun it adds to my wife's drive to work every day.

Suggested Improvements

Advertise more, the VW brand could be much stronger in the US.