1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
No trouble at all
By Tara on 04/22/08 07:06 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have a yellow bug for a year now and I have no trouble with it yet. I just love the bug. It has a lot of miles on it and I am afraid one day the bug is going to give up so I am thinking of selling it and getting a Volkswagen Cabrio.

VW longevity
By lisa'sVW on 12/10/07 22:05 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have wanted a VW since I was a child. In 2000 I purchased my first beetle. I am still driving it to this day. The bug has over 110,000 miles on it. The only problems I have had are the buttons on the radio snapped off inside the dash and I had to have it repaired, my heater died, and one sensor when bad. I can not stress enough to have only a VW dealership work on your car for any repair. I recently had new belts, spark plugs and wires, and few other things done to my car, only because I wanted to be a good "mommy" and take care of my baby. The garage was not a VW repair shop. To fix what they messed up has costed me over 1500. I have learnt my lesson.

I love my yellow Beetle
By tara on 12/05/07 19:53 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have to say my bug is running good even thought it has 137,000 miles on it no major problems yet. And this is the first bug I ever owned and I love it. Great on gas. But the light bulbs have to be changed every time one goes out. I just love my bug, it's a fantastic car when nothing goes wrong with it.

Great car
By e on 09/29/07 23:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I love my car. It's been great - it's got about 166,000 miles on it at this point, same clutch! Needs only the basic maintenance, nothing special. Fun to drive. Paint still looks great, still running strong. Will easily make it past 200,000. No doubt.

Love this bug
By tb on 09/07/07 08:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I love my yellow color bug. No problems, fantastic on gas. I love all the features on the car. My car is a 1999 VW Bug. I love how the inside dash board lights up blue at night. The seats are really comfortable. When you get on the highway it really responds fast. The car has been mantained.

Not my Grandma's '58
By straightliner on 08/27/07 22:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

First VW I've owned. Purchased used w/55K and doubled the mileage. Not bad in the beginning, but repairs have been escalating. Went through three water pumps, mass air flow sensor failed, intake leak (causing check engine light and failed emissions), radiator replacement. Funny, but all the electrical glitches and broken plastic others complain about haven't been a problem. The alarm system never seemed to work as advertised, trunk latch doesn't always catch and I got stranded w/the valet key once, but otherwise OK. Fun to drive, love the stick and still turns heads after all these years. I'm glad I tried it, but approaching 110K and $4,000 in repairs, I'm ambivalent.

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle
By zoomzoom06 on 08/07/07 22:34 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Ok, so I loved this car when I first got it. Fun to drive, envy of friends, etc. Well, then the problems started. This car eats fluids like crazy, the oil and anitfreeze especially. The fuse for the brakelights blew. The 'check engine' and ABS lights stay on for no reason. I have heard these are common problems, but come on, you'd think they would have fixed them. Also, I hate pumping it with gas. If the pump's nozzle is not in just the right position, the stupid thing stops because the sensor says the tank is full although it is not. There are so many more problems I could list, but there is not enough room to put them all down! Reconsider whether or not to purchase, and don't do it!

The Bug
By Stuntman on 01/18/07 13:07 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

VW Beetles are great cars. They are solid and fun to drive. Handling-wise the stock H rated tires crimp them a little, but upgrade to a Y, or Z rated tire and WOW she handles better then my Toyota MR2. Drivetrain-wise the gears are perfect for the power. She will scoot up to 60 in about 7-8 sec (manual 2.0). This is a heck of a fun car to drive on a windy road. It gets great gas mileage, 30-32 mpg highway.

Little Things...
By Ladys Bug on 11/30/06 22:03 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my '99 Beetle with 38,000 miles on it. It now has 52,000 miles. It is pretty good overall, despite the little "Mickey Mouse" problems that most bug owners complain about (cup holders, visors, etc.). The cloth seats do stain easily. The plastic does melt and scratch/break easily. The lights are iffy, however they are not as hard to replace as most think. Get a Haynes Repair manual (about $12 at any auto shop). My car's headlight was replaced in 10 minutes and for only $3 (the cost of the bulb). Everything seems to be working fine except for the CD player which is located in the trunk and a leak in my a.c. evaporator. The shop quoted me about $2,000 to fix it. I said "no thanks" and just added freon. It's good for now until it all leaks out again, in which case i will add more freon.

Good Car
By Alisa on 11/16/06 17:23 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've owned my '99 for seven months. I had a '98 Beetle for a year and half before I got this one. When I got into an accident there was no doubt I was getting another Bug. It's a great car, and it does well in the mountains and on long high trips. I've had to change both headlight bulbs, window motors, serpentine belts and the AC has a leak. Aside from these minor things (which I've come to find EVERY car manufacturer has) the car runs great, is fun to drive, and I get tons of compliments on my cute red car. I'm hoping to upgrade to a newer, higher model soon.