Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Maine New Beetle
By VW Flashback

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought new, my daily driver for almost 11 years. Great headroom, & visibility except on some corners the "A" pillars are a massive blind spot. Car has too many plastic bits, started falling off early e.g. overhead bin button & the fuel cap. Recurring check engine light the past few years, garage clears it on oil changes & it's OK for a few months. Lousy in the snow (Maine), use studded snow tires to deal with that. Still I'd rather drive the Bug than anything else in the yard.

Compact, comfortable, reliable, looks good & handles great. Kids *still* wave & go "punch-buggy!" when they see one.

Quality, quality, quality. VW has a horrible rep for quality thru the 90's, which has obviously affected resale value. Apparently mine is one of the good ones, with only a few problems. Still I love my Bug & will probably buy another in a year or 2.

never again for me either
By cademan1

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as a computer just before gas went crazy the first time in '03. I'm a big guy and I fit very well. I didn't want to but Japanese. I should have recognized the omen of the check engine light coming on during the test drive. The car is regularly in the shop. The dealer cashier knows my voice on the phone without me telling her. The VW dealer could never fix it the first time usually taking three times until I gave up. The independent shop is marginally better, mostly because he costs about 50% less.

interior space for the driver, and front passenger. Incredibly headroom. TDI fuel economy, who needs a hybrid! When its running well, a lot of fun to drive

very, very poor reliability. multiple repeated repairs on same systems. very hard to fix due to compact design. Very expensive to fix (think Mercedes) and no one seems to know how.

In Love with the Beetle
By Beetle Bill

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car back in 1999 drove it until our daughter turned 16 and gave it to her. She took it to college and her first job. I took it back when it had water pump problem at 100,000 miles. Otherwise the engine runs like a Swiss watch. A couple of buttons have broken but I figure that to be expected after 10 years. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

The dashboard lights, the flower vase, the huge dashboard where one can puts an entire pizza box.

Love it so far!
By Dangercart82

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Just got my 1999- cyber green- 2.0 -5 speed with 82k miles. So far I love it! For a 10 year old car it looks outstanding, (Cyber green faded slightly but that is to be expected) It had one previous owner and was well maintained. I had to replace the timing belt right away because it had never been done and the motor for the window/lock on the drivers side was dead (also to be expected.) The ABS light is always on, not sure if that's a big deal or not yet the brakes seem to work fine. Other than all that she is perfect :)

I love the cyber green, even slightly faded it looks great, turns heads. The 5-speed is peppy, lots of get up and go, engine is quiet as a mouse, VW factory sound system sounds great, surprisingly roomy interior, power everything is cool and I like how the trunk sounds like a space pod opening

The cup holders! Who approved that? No one drinks cans in the car and thats all that will fit. Also the blind spot is much bigger than my old subcompact ford zx2 and kind of caught me offgaurd. An armrest or something between the driver and passenger seats would have been nice too.

My Review
By Patman89

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 1999 Red New Beetle for almost two years now... The first year I never had any problems! But my car overheated and dummy me I kept driving with the red coolant light on for about 20 minutes on interstate 80. Luckily no serious damaged was done, but I paid $1100 for labor and the replacements. But I love my Beetle, I really want a newer one thats redesigned, I'm always jealous when I see them. I've been lucky to not have major problems. However, the sun visors on the top do not block the sun at all! The cup holders don't work well since it's under the dashboard. And I notice my seats are that comfy compared to a 2005 model and for long drives my back hurts.

My key, interior lights, sound system,

Thankfully, in the 2006+ models the cup holders area changed. I paid $5,500 for mine on 11/2007 with 117k miles, now I have 143k