Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Ughhh so disappointed
By iloveu21

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

i 1st bought my car from a used dealership..i loved my buggy and was so excited...BUT the 1st week i bought my car my gadge for my gas was not telling me the proper amount of gas in my car since my car still had a warranty the dealer fixed it. 4 months after that my check engine light came on,and ever since then my car never has been the same...check engine light comes on sometimes for no reason, my cars alternator broke, my engine system broke, and i have gotten to a small car accident which just broke my radiator which just cost me $150...but still it was ridiculous and now after having it for just a year my transmission is DONE and now all that money wasted on fixing my car is nothing now

Always Broke Down
By HOLLY

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my car new in '99 & was so happy for about 2 yrs. The wipers never really cleared the windshield sufficiently & the radio never picked up ANY stations. Cup holders were a joke & the emergency brake would stick when it was cold out (makes it hard to warm up a standard when you can't set the brake) Heater took too long to warm up & if the ac fan was on high forget accelerating. The brake and headlights were a constant hassle as was the O2 sensor (replaced it 3Xs & only the 2nd was covered by a recall) I had 3 breakdowns while traveling, costing thousands. Melted fuse box, blown motor, peeling interior & exterior. I cared for this car properly but always wanted to push it off a cliff!!

Favorite Features

Handling. I loved that the seats hopped up and forward to access the back seat.

Suggested Improvements

I would hope that since '99 improvements have been made. Side mirrors are right in a persons line of sight, very dangerous!

1999 Beetle- would buy again!
By VW girl

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

have had this car for years, love it! just got totaled in a major hail storm, will buy it back and keep driving it! minor flaws: driver mirrors too high for shorter people (I'm 5'4") impairs view when turning. cup holders are for change etc. or small bottles. was in moderate wreck few yrs back hit in rear 40 mph by SUV pushed into ford f250. beetle came out out great! I had very minor injuries! safe car! passing it on to my daughter today.

Favorite Features

style, safety, economy, reliability! very happy with VW service dept as well.

Suggested Improvements

outside mirrors and real cup holders, rear passengers hit head if they are over say 5'2??

I love my bug but some complaints
By paul

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I believe as a VW lover you kinda don't worry about some of the problems/I have realized after owning 3 VW's that they have a lot of electrical problems and you would think they would get the hint and fix these problems. But...I bought my 99 bug used of course and it runs great/fun little 5 speed/love the dash/hate the dang cup holders/I agree with other review they stink due to not being able to get anything in the cup holders and when you do the holder comes off with the can!/and also it just feels like it should have a arm rest/but I have 2 kids and I'm surprised at how easy it is to get them in and out of the back/I do worry that it will tear up and I will not have anyone to fix it.

Favorite Features

Dash, fun to drive, lots of room

Suggested Improvements

I have not looked at the new bugs but on the 99 they could have put a cup holder toward the middle closer to driver because I'm really not worried about the people behind me/very bad blind spot from front posts/headliner falling down

Maine New Beetle
By VW Flashback

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought new, my daily driver for almost 11 years. Great headroom, & visibility except on some corners the "A" pillars are a massive blind spot. Car has too many plastic bits, started falling off early e.g. overhead bin button & the fuel cap. Recurring check engine light the past few years, garage clears it on oil changes & it's OK for a few months. Lousy in the snow (Maine), use studded snow tires to deal with that. Still I'd rather drive the Bug than anything else in the yard.

Favorite Features

Compact, comfortable, reliable, looks good & handles great. Kids *still* wave & go "punch-buggy!" when they see one.

Suggested Improvements

Quality, quality, quality. VW has a horrible rep for quality thru the 90's, which has obviously affected resale value. Apparently mine is one of the good ones, with only a few problems. Still I love my Bug & will probably buy another in a year or 2.