1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
never again for me either
By cademan1 on 11/11/09 08:35 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as a computer just before gas went crazy the first time in '03. I'm a big guy and I fit very well. I didn't want to but Japanese. I should have recognized the omen of the check engine light coming on during the test drive. The car is regularly in the shop. The dealer cashier knows my voice on the phone without me telling her. The VW dealer could never fix it the first time usually taking three times until I gave up. The independent shop is marginally better, mostly because he costs about 50% less.

In Love with the Beetle
By Beetle Bill on 11/07/09 19:49 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car back in 1999 drove it until our daughter turned 16 and gave it to her. She took it to college and her first job. I took it back when it had water pump problem at 100,000 miles. Otherwise the engine runs like a Swiss watch. A couple of buttons have broken but I figure that to be expected after 10 years. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Love it so far!
By Dangercart82 on 09/12/09 22:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Just got my 1999- cyber green- 2.0 -5 speed with 82k miles. So far I love it! For a 10 year old car it looks outstanding, (Cyber green faded slightly but that is to be expected) It had one previous owner and was well maintained. I had to replace the timing belt right away because it had never been done and the motor for the window/lock on the drivers side was dead (also to be expected.) The ABS light is always on, not sure if that's a big deal or not yet the brakes seem to work fine. Other than all that she is perfect :)

My Review
By Patman89 on 08/26/09 14:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 1999 Red New Beetle for almost two years now... The first year I never had any problems! But my car overheated and dummy me I kept driving with the red coolant light on for about 20 minutes on interstate 80. Luckily no serious damaged was done, but I paid $1100 for labor and the replacements. But I love my Beetle, I really want a newer one thats redesigned, I'm always jealous when I see them. I've been lucky to not have major problems. However, the sun visors on the top do not block the sun at all! The cup holders don't work well since it's under the dashboard. And I notice my seats are that comfy compared to a 2005 model and for long drives my back hurts.

You Pay for the performance of a VW
By jay on 05/14/09 07:20 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought it used with 40K miles. Have used it for commuting and drive it hard over two mountains every day. The speed, handling and torque is outstanding. Use V or Z rated tires for better handling. Great in snow! I average 36mpg with an automatic driving hard. Body still looks new. Needs extended sun visors!!! Now the negatives....from 92K to 135K was about $4K in maintainence-- exhaust;cat. converter; axle boots; plus the ENIGINE LIGHT at least 2 time per year at a cost of 3-400 each time! Now faced at 145K whether to keep to dump as I can still pass everyone on the road and go uphills at incredible speed and confidence. Plus--an incredible stereo and safety features for a 10 yr car

A true gem
By sunnygirl on 07/16/08 18:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

After the purchase of our 99 beetle we have only been back to the dealership for oil changes, nothing else. We purchased the car through the CPO program and never looked back. This car is the best car we have ever owned, hands down!

I have gotten my money's worth!
By Emilee on 07/12/08 08:21 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought my bug used on Ebay for $6500 with 75,000 miles on it. It now has $130K miles and is still going strong. I have maintained this vehicle and it only broke down once when some board fried out and cost me $238. The AC Compressor did go out and the dealership quoted $1200 to replace it. Instead I bought a compressor on Ebay for $200 and my mechanic put it in for $200 and its been working fine. It seems like the headlights and brake lights go out a lot and are very expensive to replace. Poor design that allows water intrusion. The trunk latch and gas cap latch stopped working at 100K and the alarm has never worked right. Minor issues overall! I still love it & would buy another.

Never Again
By vw99 on 06/09/08 08:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car used from a VW dealership, said it had been checked out and was in great condition. 6 months later came in for extensive engine repairs, have been back to the service department at least 4 times a year since then for random electrical failures. Check engine light is on at least once a month for no reason, I go in and pay $90 for them to turn it off. Have spent over half of what I paid for the car in repairs and that is with taking it to cheaper garages instead of paying the ridiculous prices at the dealership. It is very cute and fun to drive but extremely poor quality and the most unreliable car I've ever driven. Do not make the same mistake!

Love-Bug
By JerseyShore524 on 05/16/08 12:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Love my car! I can fit 3 adults (me included) and a car seat quite comfortably. It hugs turns and is quick as a bunny. German cars are really made better!!

A good and a bad car.
By Tara on 04/30/08 09:38 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

A week ago I wrote a review for me bug and a couple of days when I wrote the review I have noticed that the transmission is doing some weird noises.