Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Heartbreaker
By RachieSLC

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I was so excited when I bought my Beetle. I had wanted one since they came out in 1998. I had about a good 2 months until I realized the air conditioning didn't work, which was just the beginning of my repair woes. I have had my car in THREE times to have the air conditioner fixed along with the windows and window switches, the gas and trunk hatches, the temperature guage, and other problems. In the two years I owned this car, I took it to have it fixed TEN TIMES. My clutch went out and it cost $1400 to have it fixed. The week after that, my check engine light came on. I sold that lemon and bought a Civic Si.

Favorite Features

It's a fun car with lots of personality. I LOVED the turbo charged engine. That car can outrun just about any sports car on the road. I loved the seat warmers, the roomy, comfortable interior and, the blue/purple interior lights. All the standard power features are nice, too.

Suggested Improvements

Change the cheap-looking plastic on the inside. The mechanical stuff is so hard to get at that it's hard to find a non-VW service mechanic. Make something that doesn't break all the time.

love bugs
By mssktty18

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Its wonderful fun to drive,You don't have to worry every week about filling your gas tank.its great!They drive quite and run wonderfully.

Favorite Features

The vase,and the awesome dash lights

Suggested Improvements

sun roof on all models

Calling Dr.Porsche
By BuySwedish

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

You can spend millions if not billions on quirky,Mtv like commercials, but you can't build a quality car?I have to say it is by far the worse car I have ever owned.This is coming from a guy who has owned three Saab 900's.Why is this? Well,Everything falls apart,everything from the side mirrors to the shift knob, to the gas door, to the window switches, to the melted fuses to the terrible radio(hasn't worked in a year)

Favorite Features

My favorite thing about this car is it is not an Audi, it would have burnt down on the side of the road from an electrical fire years ago. Trading it in on a used Volvo.

Suggested Improvements

Dump this model, you blew it in the '70s and you're blowing it now.Sales are down 25%,wake up and smell the oil. Reallocate that advertising budget to get back to making the People's Car(Volkswagen).Try this new slogan:"Engineers Wanted"

ode to a new beetle
By lansing

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

While it was love at first sight, the affair turned out to fade with higher maintenance costs than my second wife. The Dick Dean has a shabby, little practice of adding 10% more to the overall price as a 'market adjustment", which since cured me of ever buying a VW from them again. Their only saving grace is their service department, which treats customers as if they matter. The only problem with the service department, is I see too much of them. After 32,000 miles, every thing on the car started falling apart, or needed replacing at $92/hour. Now that the romance has faded, I will never fall in love again with anything on the lot at Dick Dean VW.

Favorite Features

Love the design inside and out. Great technology for a small hatchback, just not reliable enough to appreciate a minute longer than the warranty.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to audit their dealers on sales practices and either raise prices/margins or do away with "market adjustments". VW designers need to figure out how to improve the product reliability in their gee-thats-neat technology.

Bought mine used and no problems
By Bananarama

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

bought my little GLS used with 40000 miles on it, and no problems to tell you about...As stated in other reviews, the cupholders need work, needs a bigger windshield mirror, and the 2.0GLS needs a 6 speed tranny...the 5 speed revs at 4000 rpms at 80 mph, sounds like the engine is going to blow!...All together, a very fun, reliable, gas worthly car to drive.

Favorite Features

style, corners like it's on rails, great on gas

Suggested Improvements

6 speed transmission for 2.0 GLS. Cupholders Armrest in center console.