1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
good for the price
By Cinders on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

This was a 1999 leftover with only a few miles on it. I've been very happy except for the very, very squeeky brakes. The dealer, after a few visits, told me there's nothing they can do, breaks are fine, and gave me a pamphlet explaining why they squeek. The noise is so bad I can't drive with the windows open and I'm trading it in. Also, the side view mirrors are too high. I see that's been redesigned in the new models.

THIS CAR IS AWSOME!
By Teve Torbs on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

This has to be one of the greatest cars EVER created...

Could ANYTHING else break on this car???
By T. on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

When I purchased this car, I was under the impression that Volkswagon made reliable cars. Not the case. I have spent thousands of dollars in repairs in the last six months. I have had a new oil pan, power window mechanisms, power lockes replaced, air flow something or other, fuel injector corrected, exhaust system replaced, vanity mirrors light mechanism had to be replaced, on and on and on. Just when you think you are past the repair slump, something else happens! Now, I am dumping this car and buying a Toyota again!

More room than you think
By Collin on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

People think this car has nothing to offer on the outside, but all you have to do is take it for a drive and see just how much headroom you have that you won't find in other cars. Plus what is truly amazing is just how quite and and deceptively fast this car feels. You'll find yourself driving down the highway thinking you are going 70mph when in actuality you are going around 90 or more. And when it comes to a quiet ride, it is amazing. Its nice riding and quick responsive when turning or switch lanes. This car handles just like a little sports car and as such i find myself driving it that way. Take it for a test drive, you will not be disappointed at all.

Fun car with a few minor bugs
By fourfish on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've enjoyed this car since buying it new in 99. Door rattles were and window switches were all fixed under warranty. Had an $650 repair at 41K to replace a gas tank breather tube (engine check light was on). Overall, it's a fun car.

I AGREE WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE COMPLAINTS
By SYR on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

THIS CAR IS A PIECE OF S... THANK GOD HAS A WARRATY COVERAGE. AS SOON AS MY WARRANTY IS UP, I'M SELLING IT.

New Beetle TDI
By Kristian on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car with 19,000 miles now with 24,000 this car has been great. It's fun to drive. The FUEL milege is great. I'm averaging about 47 mpg town and highway. The Newbeetle is also a very safe car, so the insurance company gave me $100 of my bills. I never owned a diesel car. This is my first, And I have to say that I'm very happy with it. There are always some down sides ofcourse. The oil for this car is not cheep. But you don't have to change it every 3000 mile.(every 5000-6000). Also I have been have some problems with the windows.. Not a big deal but the right window goes up slower then the other. Other then that. It's a great car.

I love my Beetle!
By Jenni on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Before I had a Beetle, I thought they were cute, but not for me. When I saw one at a dealership, I thought I would just check it out. Love at first site. Good looking, sporty, fun, and safe for my kids, just what I wanted in a car!

A Mexican car with plastic fenders.
By GaryinVT on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Leased my New Beetle new. I've only had a few problems (gas gauge and oxygen sensor), but the after owning it for a while I can tell everything was built to the minimum standard. If you've ever had a Honda or Toyota you would laugh at this flimsy thing. Thankfully mine is just the 2.0 liter, as the turbos and diesels need a new clutch every 20- 30k miles.

Stay Away
By iinsic on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I made the unfortunate decision to buy this car based on it's design. Build quality has been horrible. I have had to replace window reg., 2 window switches, 3 O2 sensors, had an oil leak, replace a rear brake caliper at 40K miles (!?), now the air conditioning does not work. Fun to drive, terrible to own.