Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Breakable
By SS

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had my 1999 Volkswagen Beetle for six years and I have had to replace a little bit of everything. Everything that can go wrong with a car has. It is fun to drive a Bug, but it has so many blind spots.

I love the blue and red lights on the gages and radio.

The plastic parts need to go. Not being able to change head lights on my own is a pain. The interior stains too easily.

Heartbreaker
By RachieSLC

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I was so excited when I bought my Beetle. I had wanted one since they came out in 1998. I had about a good 2 months until I realized the air conditioning didn't work, which was just the beginning of my repair woes. I have had my car in THREE times to have the air conditioner fixed along with the windows and window switches, the gas and trunk hatches, the temperature guage, and other problems. In the two years I owned this car, I took it to have it fixed TEN TIMES. My clutch went out and it cost $1400 to have it fixed. The week after that, my check engine light came on. I sold that lemon and bought a Civic Si.

It's a fun car with lots of personality. I LOVED the turbo charged engine. That car can outrun just about any sports car on the road. I loved the seat warmers, the roomy, comfortable interior and, the blue/purple interior lights. All the standard power features are nice, too.

Change the cheap-looking plastic on the inside. The mechanical stuff is so hard to get at that it's hard to find a non-VW service mechanic. Make something that doesn't break all the time.

LOVE MY BUG!!!
By VW LOVER

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY VW BEETLE....SURE, I'VE HAD A FEW PROBLEMS WITH IT, BUT WHO DOSEN'T HAVE ANY CAR PROBLEMS?? MY WINDOW BROKE BUT THEY REPLACED IT & ALSO WENT AHEAD & REPLACED MY OTHER ONE, BECAUSE THEY HAD A NEW, IMPROVED MOTOR FOR THE WINDOWS. I LOVE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD & SEEING PEOPLE LOOK & SMILE AT ME!!! I WOULDN'T TRADE MINE FOR THE WORLD.

THE LOOKS, INSIDE & OUT

IN DASH CD CHANGER. I HAVE MINE IN THE TRUNK & IT'S NOT VERY CONVENIENT.