Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Follow Up - from May 2006 Review
By christianhoy

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Well, it's been 14 years. Bought it new in June of '99 because it was the "futuristic looking concept car that you could drive". The silver beetle really took the cake, spurred on with the commercial "Reverse engineered from U.F.O.'s." Now 14 years later, it runs and looks like the day I bought it. I wanted all manual - so I got the GL. It's hauled all kinds of cargo - kayaks, canoes, fish aquariums, metal house roofing, it even tows a small sailboat. Get the factory roof rack. Have it serviced by a knowledgeable dealer every year, and keep up on the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. No Problems, No Issues, just miles and miles of adventure and fun.

Looks - It still looks futuristic to me, even today - a silver pod flying through space. The series Futurama has hovering New Beetles. Performance - It's a heavy little car, but the 2.0 engine does fine with it. Great for car-topping kayaks or canoes because the center of the boat is at the center of the car, boat ends don't stick out, no flags! Corners quick and agile. Stable at higher speeds. Never felt I needed more power. Family members are happy passengers. Silver is the best color if kept waxed.

I hate plastic parts in cars that are in frequently used areas. If they break, superglue won't cut it. You will need to buy a new part or deal with it. My factory tape cassette player - well - is behind the times, but you can get an adapter to play your mp3 player. Still don't like the glove compartment. It's set up with a thin shelf at the top to put your maps, and they fall out every time I open the glove compartment. I only have 3 maps! I don't know how many times I wanted open the passenger door, and had to walk around the car to the drivers side to unlock it! All these are just dinky little things. Compared to what other car owners deal with, they are trivial.

one tough beetle!
By roman_capps

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

At first the beetle looks girly and cheap. girly to some, but cheap only in cosmetics. for the 13 years of it's life it has been ragged out by a teenage girl and my father. Both have been over revved before they change gears. my father changes gears at 9000 or 90000 revolutions (can't remember) and it sends chills up my spine when he goes up hills. Not one transmission replacement to me that is amazing it sits at 195k miles. Rockwell is a great company, only in mechanical. The cosmetics on this car are absolutely cheap and plastic the entire door panel has been torn off. It's true how Volkswagen has been given to the beetle it is truly the people's car.

The body is timeless especially the convertibles, great mechanical work, built in Mexico

Better cosmetics I wish Volkswagen would come out with a luxury beetle.

Been 10 great years
By trazy

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I purchased mine back in 03' from a dealership with 35k miles. I just crossed the 110k mark. So far I've had nothing I'd consider a "major" problem. At 90k miles the water pump went out. I also replaced the tensioner and belt. Yesterday it started misfiring bad and learned the coil pack had gone bad. I also replaced the spark plugs and the wires while having that replaced. Aside from that just changing the oil, brake pads, filters...etc. Only needing 2 sub $500 repairs in 10 years of ownership. To me, that's great. Little things have broke though. Switches, trunk latch, knobs. But those are little DIY cheap repairs.

Car handles exceptionally well which despite it not being that fast makes it's extremely fun to drive. It's a smaller car but the backseats laying down does wonders for storage space. I can lug around my full drum kit in it.

I've never found the seats very comfortable for long commutes. Head rest is far back and can't ever lean your head against it. The front cup holders are directly under the center console with not much clearance space, so only shorter drinks can fit into them.

Debt.
By savannahb

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

We bought this car as a first car, and at first, it was great... Until about two months later when we spent $1200 on engine, heating, and oil repairs. (Mind you, $1200 is a little less than half of what we paid for it.) Then the buggy worked fine until the window rolled down and wouldn't roll back up... And the tail light bulb burst... And the battery kept dying. If I had the choice, I'd sell it to my now-well-known VW repair man for spare parts and buy a RELIABLE car.

None that I can think of.

Don't waste your time, go buy a different car.

1999 Beetle- would buy again!
By VW girl

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

have had this car for years, love it! just got totaled in a major hail storm, will buy it back and keep driving it! minor flaws: driver mirrors too high for shorter people (I'm 5'4") impairs view when turning. cup holders are for change etc. or small bottles. was in moderate wreck few yrs back hit in rear 40 mph by SUV pushed into ford f250. beetle came out out great! I had very minor injuries! safe car! passing it on to my daughter today.

style, safety, economy, reliability! very happy with VW service dept as well.

outside mirrors and real cup holders, rear passengers hit head if they are over say 5'2??