1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Follow Up - from May 2006 Review
By christianhoy on 07/16/13 14:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Well, it's been 14 years. Bought it new in June of '99 because it was the "futuristic looking concept car that you could drive". The silver beetle really took the cake, spurred on with the commercial "Reverse engineered from U.F.O.'s." Now 14 years later, it runs and looks like the day I bought it. I wanted all manual - so I got the GL. It's hauled all kinds of cargo - kayaks, canoes, fish aquariums, metal house roofing, it even tows a small sailboat. Get the factory roof rack. Have it serviced by a knowledgeable dealer every year, and keep up on the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. No Problems, No Issues, just miles and miles of adventure and fun.

one tough beetle!
By roman_capps on 06/08/13 18:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

At first the beetle looks girly and cheap. girly to some, but cheap only in cosmetics. for the 13 years of it's life it has been ragged out by a teenage girl and my father. Both have been over revved before they change gears. my father changes gears at 9000 or 90000 revolutions (can't remember) and it sends chills up my spine when he goes up hills. Not one transmission replacement to me that is amazing it sits at 195k miles. Rockwell is a great company, only in mechanical. The cosmetics on this car are absolutely cheap and plastic the entire door panel has been torn off. It's true how Volkswagen has been given to the beetle it is truly the people's car.

Been 10 great years
By trazy on 06/01/13 17:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I purchased mine back in 03' from a dealership with 35k miles. I just crossed the 110k mark. So far I've had nothing I'd consider a "major" problem. At 90k miles the water pump went out. I also replaced the tensioner and belt. Yesterday it started misfiring bad and learned the coil pack had gone bad. I also replaced the spark plugs and the wires while having that replaced. Aside from that just changing the oil, brake pads, filters...etc. Only needing 2 sub $500 repairs in 10 years of ownership. To me, that's great. Little things have broke though. Switches, trunk latch, knobs. But those are little DIY cheap repairs.

Debt.
By savannahb on 05/27/13 07:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

We bought this car as a first car, and at first, it was great... Until about two months later when we spent $1200 on engine, heating, and oil repairs. (Mind you, $1200 is a little less than half of what we paid for it.) Then the buggy worked fine until the window rolled down and wouldn't roll back up... And the tail light bulb burst... And the battery kept dying. If I had the choice, I'd sell it to my now-well-known VW repair man for spare parts and buy a RELIABLE car.

1999 Beetle- would buy again!
By VW girl on 05/26/10 21:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

have had this car for years, love it! just got totaled in a major hail storm, will buy it back and keep driving it! minor flaws: driver mirrors too high for shorter people (I'm 5'4") impairs view when turning. cup holders are for change etc. or small bottles. was in moderate wreck few yrs back hit in rear 40 mph by SUV pushed into ford f250. beetle came out out great! I had very minor injuries! safe car! passing it on to my daughter today.

Maine New Beetle
By VW Flashback on 01/03/10 13:19 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought new, my daily driver for almost 11 years. Great headroom, & visibility except on some corners the "A" pillars are a massive blind spot. Car has too many plastic bits, started falling off early e.g. overhead bin button & the fuel cap. Recurring check engine light the past few years, garage clears it on oil changes & it's OK for a few months. Lousy in the snow (Maine), use studded snow tires to deal with that. Still I'd rather drive the Bug than anything else in the yard.

In Love with the Beetle
By Beetle Bill on 11/07/09 19:49 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car back in 1999 drove it until our daughter turned 16 and gave it to her. She took it to college and her first job. I took it back when it had water pump problem at 100,000 miles. Otherwise the engine runs like a Swiss watch. A couple of buttons have broken but I figure that to be expected after 10 years. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Love it so far!
By Dangercart82 on 09/12/09 22:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Just got my 1999- cyber green- 2.0 -5 speed with 82k miles. So far I love it! For a 10 year old car it looks outstanding, (Cyber green faded slightly but that is to be expected) It had one previous owner and was well maintained. I had to replace the timing belt right away because it had never been done and the motor for the window/lock on the drivers side was dead (also to be expected.) The ABS light is always on, not sure if that's a big deal or not yet the brakes seem to work fine. Other than all that she is perfect :)

You Pay for the performance of a VW
By jay on 05/14/09 07:20 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought it used with 40K miles. Have used it for commuting and drive it hard over two mountains every day. The speed, handling and torque is outstanding. Use V or Z rated tires for better handling. Great in snow! I average 36mpg with an automatic driving hard. Body still looks new. Needs extended sun visors!!! Now the negatives....from 92K to 135K was about $4K in maintainence-- exhaust;cat. converter; axle boots; plus the ENIGINE LIGHT at least 2 time per year at a cost of 3-400 each time! Now faced at 145K whether to keep to dump as I can still pass everyone on the road and go uphills at incredible speed and confidence. Plus--an incredible stereo and safety features for a 10 yr car

A true gem
By sunnygirl on 07/16/08 18:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

After the purchase of our 99 beetle we have only been back to the dealership for oil changes, nothing else. We purchased the car through the CPO program and never looked back. This car is the best car we have ever owned, hands down!