1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Follow Up - from May 2006 Review
By christianhoy on 07/16/13 14:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Well, it's been 14 years. Bought it new in June of '99 because it was the "futuristic looking concept car that you could drive". The silver beetle really took the cake, spurred on with the commercial "Reverse engineered from U.F.O.'s." Now 14 years later, it runs and looks like the day I bought it. I wanted all manual - so I got the GL. It's hauled all kinds of cargo - kayaks, canoes, fish aquariums, metal house roofing, it even tows a small sailboat. Get the factory roof rack. Have it serviced by a knowledgeable dealer every year, and keep up on the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. No Problems, No Issues, just miles and miles of adventure and fun.

one tough beetle!
By roman_capps on 06/08/13 18:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

At first the beetle looks girly and cheap. girly to some, but cheap only in cosmetics. for the 13 years of it's life it has been ragged out by a teenage girl and my father. Both have been over revved before they change gears. my father changes gears at 9000 or 90000 revolutions (can't remember) and it sends chills up my spine when he goes up hills. Not one transmission replacement to me that is amazing it sits at 195k miles. Rockwell is a great company, only in mechanical. The cosmetics on this car are absolutely cheap and plastic the entire door panel has been torn off. It's true how Volkswagen has been given to the beetle it is truly the people's car.

Been 10 great years
By trazy on 06/01/13 17:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I purchased mine back in 03' from a dealership with 35k miles. I just crossed the 110k mark. So far I've had nothing I'd consider a "major" problem. At 90k miles the water pump went out. I also replaced the tensioner and belt. Yesterday it started misfiring bad and learned the coil pack had gone bad. I also replaced the spark plugs and the wires while having that replaced. Aside from that just changing the oil, brake pads, filters...etc. Only needing 2 sub $500 repairs in 10 years of ownership. To me, that's great. Little things have broke though. Switches, trunk latch, knobs. But those are little DIY cheap repairs.

Debt.
By savannahb on 05/27/13 07:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

We bought this car as a first car, and at first, it was great... Until about two months later when we spent $1200 on engine, heating, and oil repairs. (Mind you, $1200 is a little less than half of what we paid for it.) Then the buggy worked fine until the window rolled down and wouldn't roll back up... And the tail light bulb burst... And the battery kept dying. If I had the choice, I'd sell it to my now-well-known VW repair man for spare parts and buy a RELIABLE car.

1999 VW Beetle (2.0 Engine, GLS, Automatic)
By hulahips2 on 12/18/12 14:56 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Love my buggie!!!!!!!!!! I bought this used with approximately 55,000 miles on it back in 2010. Now my mileage is @ 75,000 and it has held up nicely. My buggie can move when I need it to, stop when I need it too. Suspension is awesome! I can fit into any stall with ease. And i think the quality is top notch (excluding switches, etc.), however, the German glass is top notch, so is the body from rust and the door closes nicely. in fact I really like the way VW makes the doors close, that certain sound it makes! LOL I'm truly a VW believer.

Ughhh so disappointed
By iloveu21 on 01/23/11 18:35 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

i 1st bought my car from a used dealership..i loved my buggy and was so excited...BUT the 1st week i bought my car my gadge for my gas was not telling me the proper amount of gas in my car since my car still had a warranty the dealer fixed it. 4 months after that my check engine light came on,and ever since then my car never has been the same...check engine light comes on sometimes for no reason, my cars alternator broke, my engine system broke, and i have gotten to a small car accident which just broke my radiator which just cost me $150...but still it was ridiculous and now after having it for just a year my transmission is DONE and now all that money wasted on fixing my car is nothing now

Always Broke Down
By HOLLY on 09/03/10 09:12 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my car new in '99 & was so happy for about 2 yrs. The wipers never really cleared the windshield sufficiently & the radio never picked up ANY stations. Cup holders were a joke & the emergency brake would stick when it was cold out (makes it hard to warm up a standard when you can't set the brake) Heater took too long to warm up & if the ac fan was on high forget accelerating. The brake and headlights were a constant hassle as was the O2 sensor (replaced it 3Xs & only the 2nd was covered by a recall) I had 3 breakdowns while traveling, costing thousands. Melted fuse box, blown motor, peeling interior & exterior. I cared for this car properly but always wanted to push it off a cliff!!

1999 Beetle- would buy again!
By VW girl on 05/26/10 21:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

have had this car for years, love it! just got totaled in a major hail storm, will buy it back and keep driving it! minor flaws: driver mirrors too high for shorter people (I'm 5'4") impairs view when turning. cup holders are for change etc. or small bottles. was in moderate wreck few yrs back hit in rear 40 mph by SUV pushed into ford f250. beetle came out out great! I had very minor injuries! safe car! passing it on to my daughter today.

I love my bug but some complaints
By paul on 02/12/10 13:32 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I believe as a VW lover you kinda don't worry about some of the problems/I have realized after owning 3 VW's that they have a lot of electrical problems and you would think they would get the hint and fix these problems. But...I bought my 99 bug used of course and it runs great/fun little 5 speed/love the dash/hate the dang cup holders/I agree with other review they stink due to not being able to get anything in the cup holders and when you do the holder comes off with the can!/and also it just feels like it should have a arm rest/but I have 2 kids and I'm surprised at how easy it is to get them in and out of the back/I do worry that it will tear up and I will not have anyone to fix it.

Maine New Beetle
By VW Flashback on 01/03/10 13:19 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought new, my daily driver for almost 11 years. Great headroom, & visibility except on some corners the "A" pillars are a massive blind spot. Car has too many plastic bits, started falling off early e.g. overhead bin button & the fuel cap. Recurring check engine light the past few years, garage clears it on oil changes & it's OK for a few months. Lousy in the snow (Maine), use studded snow tires to deal with that. Still I'd rather drive the Bug than anything else in the yard.