Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

GLS TDi 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Manual - (7 reviews )

never again for me either
By cademan1

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as a computer just before gas went crazy the first time in '03. I'm a big guy and I fit very well. I didn't want to but Japanese. I should have recognized the omen of the check engine light coming on during the test drive. The car is regularly in the shop. The dealer cashier knows my voice on the phone without me telling her. The VW dealer could never fix it the first time usually taking three times until I gave up. The independent shop is marginally better, mostly because he costs about 50% less.

interior space for the driver, and front passenger. Incredibly headroom. TDI fuel economy, who needs a hybrid! When its running well, a lot of fun to drive

very, very poor reliability. multiple repeated repairs on same systems. very hard to fix due to compact design. Very expensive to fix (think Mercedes) and no one seems to know how.

TDI Diesel Beetle After Seven Years
By diesel

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

After seven years of daily use, I am still very happy with my Beetle. Other New Beetles have had reliability problems, but I have had no problems with the engine or transmission. I have had minor problems with the window switches breaking, but the replacements seem to have held up. This is a much better engine than the 2.0L gas, and it gives far better economy. The downside is whenever we go somewhere I always have to drive!

The engine is the best thing about this car. It gets great fuel economy and has great torque. I can pass almost everything on the long uphills, especially at high altitude. Everyone who drives it is impressed with the power. The styling never changes, which is good.

Cons: Many impractical features due to the design, I wish it had bought a Golf instead. For instance, car does not have a rectangular trunk - cannot carry golf bag. Also, the rear seat headroom is not good. The front pillars interfere with visibility. Finally, it badly needs extensions for the sun visors.

It's horrible!!
By lucy99

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

Just like every other Beetle owner i've talked to, I have had nothing but problems with this car. Besides the horrible designs on the inside (cd changer in the trunk, cup holders unreachable, giant blind spots in every corner), i find new problems every day. After slightly over 3 years, we had to buy a new engine and there's been even more problems since we got it. There has been too many recalled parts to even count. The dealers are horrible and have broken more stuff than they have fixed. I just traded in this timebomb for a reliable toyota and will never buy another VW.

good gas mileage, even though it's about 10mpg less than what it should be.

VW needs to make reliability a much higher priority if they want to keep customers.

My Yellow TDi Bug
By Manu/nothias

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

Lots of head turning, and a fast bug with 49 mpg. Could not have asked more. Have some interior youth defaults, fixed on the newer models. 83000 miles and still going like new. Love passing on the left lane, and seing the SUV stopping for gas. Love that Bug even if I did not really want one, was the only TDi on the lot.

The Diesel TDi is really nice to drive, the look of the car makes people smile in yellow.

Changes some of the plastics inside. Please import the 115 HP and 150 HP TDi

Love It ! Coooool Car
By New Beetle Lover

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

Love the car, it's cute as can be! After 4 years I'm still getting compliments on the look. Have had no negative problems. Some parts can be expensive, but that true on any foreign car.

Handles GREAT - Roomy for it's size - SAVE loads of $$$$$$$$$$ on gas or should i say Diesel :)

Mirror adjustment broke of ASAP - VW fixed with no problem - Cup holders could be better placed. Keep hitting my HEAD on the hatchback when open OUCH !!!