1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

GLS TDi 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Manual - (7 reviews )
never again for me either
By cademan1 on 11/11/09 08:35 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as a computer just before gas went crazy the first time in '03. I'm a big guy and I fit very well. I didn't want to but Japanese. I should have recognized the omen of the check engine light coming on during the test drive. The car is regularly in the shop. The dealer cashier knows my voice on the phone without me telling her. The VW dealer could never fix it the first time usually taking three times until I gave up. The independent shop is marginally better, mostly because he costs about 50% less.

TDI Diesel Beetle After Seven Years
By diesel on 08/18/06 16:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

After seven years of daily use, I am still very happy with my Beetle. Other New Beetles have had reliability problems, but I have had no problems with the engine or transmission. I have had minor problems with the window switches breaking, but the replacements seem to have held up. This is a much better engine than the 2.0L gas, and it gives far better economy. The downside is whenever we go somewhere I always have to drive!

It's horrible!!
By lucy99 on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

Just like every other Beetle owner i've talked to, I have had nothing but problems with this car. Besides the horrible designs on the inside (cd changer in the trunk, cup holders unreachable, giant blind spots in every corner), i find new problems every day. After slightly over 3 years, we had to buy a new engine and there's been even more problems since we got it. There has been too many recalled parts to even count. The dealers are horrible and have broken more stuff than they have fixed. I just traded in this timebomb for a reliable toyota and will never buy another VW.

My Yellow TDi Bug
By Manu/nothias on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

Lots of head turning, and a fast bug with 49 mpg. Could not have asked more. Have some interior youth defaults, fixed on the newer models. 83000 miles and still going like new. Love passing on the left lane, and seing the SUV stopping for gas. Love that Bug even if I did not really want one, was the only TDi on the lot.

Love It ! Coooool Car
By New Beetle Lover on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

Love the car, it's cute as can be! After 4 years I'm still getting compliments on the look. Have had no negative problems. Some parts can be expensive, but that true on any foreign car.

best car
By meagan on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

get it youl like it

New Beetle TDI
By Kristian on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car with 19,000 miles now with 24,000 this car has been great. It's fun to drive. The FUEL milege is great. I'm averaging about 47 mpg town and highway. The Newbeetle is also a very safe car, so the insurance company gave me $100 of my bills. I never owned a diesel car. This is my first, And I have to say that I'm very happy with it. There are always some down sides ofcourse. The oil for this car is not cheep. But you don't have to change it every 3000 mile.(every 5000-6000). Also I have been have some problems with the windows.. Not a big deal but the right window goes up slower then the other. Other then that. It's a great car.