1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
1999 VW Beetle (2.0 Engine, GLS, Automatic)
By hulahips2 on 12/18/12 14:56 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Love my buggie!!!!!!!!!! I bought this used with approximately 55,000 miles on it back in 2010. Now my mileage is @ 75,000 and it has held up nicely. My buggie can move when I need it to, stop when I need it too. Suspension is awesome! I can fit into any stall with ease. And i think the quality is top notch (excluding switches, etc.), however, the German glass is top notch, so is the body from rust and the door closes nicely. in fact I really like the way VW makes the doors close, that certain sound it makes! LOL I'm truly a VW believer.

Ughhh so disappointed
By iloveu21 on 01/23/11 18:35 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

i 1st bought my car from a used dealership..i loved my buggy and was so excited...BUT the 1st week i bought my car my gadge for my gas was not telling me the proper amount of gas in my car since my car still had a warranty the dealer fixed it. 4 months after that my check engine light came on,and ever since then my car never has been the same...check engine light comes on sometimes for no reason, my cars alternator broke, my engine system broke, and i have gotten to a small car accident which just broke my radiator which just cost me $150...but still it was ridiculous and now after having it for just a year my transmission is DONE and now all that money wasted on fixing my car is nothing now

Always Broke Down
By HOLLY on 09/03/10 09:12 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my car new in '99 & was so happy for about 2 yrs. The wipers never really cleared the windshield sufficiently & the radio never picked up ANY stations. Cup holders were a joke & the emergency brake would stick when it was cold out (makes it hard to warm up a standard when you can't set the brake) Heater took too long to warm up & if the ac fan was on high forget accelerating. The brake and headlights were a constant hassle as was the O2 sensor (replaced it 3Xs & only the 2nd was covered by a recall) I had 3 breakdowns while traveling, costing thousands. Melted fuse box, blown motor, peeling interior & exterior. I cared for this car properly but always wanted to push it off a cliff!!

I love my bug but some complaints
By paul on 02/12/10 13:32 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I believe as a VW lover you kinda don't worry about some of the problems/I have realized after owning 3 VW's that they have a lot of electrical problems and you would think they would get the hint and fix these problems. But...I bought my 99 bug used of course and it runs great/fun little 5 speed/love the dash/hate the dang cup holders/I agree with other review they stink due to not being able to get anything in the cup holders and when you do the holder comes off with the can!/and also it just feels like it should have a arm rest/but I have 2 kids and I'm surprised at how easy it is to get them in and out of the back/I do worry that it will tear up and I will not have anyone to fix it.

My Review
By Patman89 on 08/26/09 14:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 1999 Red New Beetle for almost two years now... The first year I never had any problems! But my car overheated and dummy me I kept driving with the red coolant light on for about 20 minutes on interstate 80. Luckily no serious damaged was done, but I paid $1100 for labor and the replacements. But I love my Beetle, I really want a newer one thats redesigned, I'm always jealous when I see them. I've been lucky to not have major problems. However, the sun visors on the top do not block the sun at all! The cup holders don't work well since it's under the dashboard. And I notice my seats are that comfy compared to a 2005 model and for long drives my back hurts.

Never Again
By vw99 on 06/09/08 08:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car used from a VW dealership, said it had been checked out and was in great condition. 6 months later came in for extensive engine repairs, have been back to the service department at least 4 times a year since then for random electrical failures. Check engine light is on at least once a month for no reason, I go in and pay $90 for them to turn it off. Have spent over half of what I paid for the car in repairs and that is with taking it to cheaper garages instead of paying the ridiculous prices at the dealership. It is very cute and fun to drive but extremely poor quality and the most unreliable car I've ever driven. Do not make the same mistake!

A good and a bad car.
By Tara on 04/30/08 09:38 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

A week ago I wrote a review for me bug and a couple of days when I wrote the review I have noticed that the transmission is doing some weird noises.

No trouble at all
By Tara on 04/22/08 07:06 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have a yellow bug for a year now and I have no trouble with it yet. I just love the bug. It has a lot of miles on it and I am afraid one day the bug is going to give up so I am thinking of selling it and getting a Volkswagen Cabrio.

VW longevity
By lisa'sVW on 12/10/07 22:05 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have wanted a VW since I was a child. In 2000 I purchased my first beetle. I am still driving it to this day. The bug has over 110,000 miles on it. The only problems I have had are the buttons on the radio snapped off inside the dash and I had to have it repaired, my heater died, and one sensor when bad. I can not stress enough to have only a VW dealership work on your car for any repair. I recently had new belts, spark plugs and wires, and few other things done to my car, only because I wanted to be a good "mommy" and take care of my baby. The garage was not a VW repair shop. To fix what they messed up has costed me over 1500. I have learnt my lesson.

I love my yellow Beetle
By tara on 12/05/07 19:53 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have to say my bug is running good even thought it has 137,000 miles on it no major problems yet. And this is the first bug I ever owned and I love it. Great on gas. But the light bulbs have to be changed every time one goes out. I just love my bug, it's a fantastic car when nothing goes wrong with it.