Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

1999 VW Beetle (2.0 Engine, GLS, Automatic)
By hulahips2

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Love my buggie!!!!!!!!!! I bought this used with approximately 55,000 miles on it back in 2010. Now my mileage is @ 75,000 and it has held up nicely. My buggie can move when I need it to, stop when I need it too. Suspension is awesome! I can fit into any stall with ease. And i think the quality is top notch (excluding switches, etc.), however, the German glass is top notch, so is the body from rust and the door closes nicely. in fact I really like the way VW makes the doors close, that certain sound it makes! LOL I'm truly a VW believer.

Favorite Features

The drive, the handling, the looks, the quality of how its made, the way the door closes, the glass they use on the windshield is top notch, there are no water mark stains and clear like new!

Suggested Improvements

Make more accessories!!! And keep the beetle alive!!!!!!

Ughhh so disappointed
By iloveu21

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

i 1st bought my car from a used dealership..i loved my buggy and was so excited...BUT the 1st week i bought my car my gadge for my gas was not telling me the proper amount of gas in my car since my car still had a warranty the dealer fixed it. 4 months after that my check engine light came on,and ever since then my car never has been the same...check engine light comes on sometimes for no reason, my cars alternator broke, my engine system broke, and i have gotten to a small car accident which just broke my radiator which just cost me $150...but still it was ridiculous and now after having it for just a year my transmission is DONE and now all that money wasted on fixing my car is nothing now

Always Broke Down
By HOLLY

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my car new in '99 & was so happy for about 2 yrs. The wipers never really cleared the windshield sufficiently & the radio never picked up ANY stations. Cup holders were a joke & the emergency brake would stick when it was cold out (makes it hard to warm up a standard when you can't set the brake) Heater took too long to warm up & if the ac fan was on high forget accelerating. The brake and headlights were a constant hassle as was the O2 sensor (replaced it 3Xs & only the 2nd was covered by a recall) I had 3 breakdowns while traveling, costing thousands. Melted fuse box, blown motor, peeling interior & exterior. I cared for this car properly but always wanted to push it off a cliff!!

Favorite Features

Handling. I loved that the seats hopped up and forward to access the back seat.

Suggested Improvements

I would hope that since '99 improvements have been made. Side mirrors are right in a persons line of sight, very dangerous!

I love my bug but some complaints
By paul

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I believe as a VW lover you kinda don't worry about some of the problems/I have realized after owning 3 VW's that they have a lot of electrical problems and you would think they would get the hint and fix these problems. But...I bought my 99 bug used of course and it runs great/fun little 5 speed/love the dash/hate the dang cup holders/I agree with other review they stink due to not being able to get anything in the cup holders and when you do the holder comes off with the can!/and also it just feels like it should have a arm rest/but I have 2 kids and I'm surprised at how easy it is to get them in and out of the back/I do worry that it will tear up and I will not have anyone to fix it.

Favorite Features

Dash, fun to drive, lots of room

Suggested Improvements

I have not looked at the new bugs but on the 99 they could have put a cup holder toward the middle closer to driver because I'm really not worried about the people behind me/very bad blind spot from front posts/headliner falling down

My Review
By Patman89

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 1999 Red New Beetle for almost two years now... The first year I never had any problems! But my car overheated and dummy me I kept driving with the red coolant light on for about 20 minutes on interstate 80. Luckily no serious damaged was done, but I paid $1100 for labor and the replacements. But I love my Beetle, I really want a newer one thats redesigned, I'm always jealous when I see them. I've been lucky to not have major problems. However, the sun visors on the top do not block the sun at all! The cup holders don't work well since it's under the dashboard. And I notice my seats are that comfy compared to a 2005 model and for long drives my back hurts.

Favorite Features

My key, interior lights, sound system,

Suggested Improvements

Thankfully, in the 2006+ models the cup holders area changed. I paid $5,500 for mine on 11/2007 with 117k miles, now I have 143k