1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: No Major Complaints

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

No Major Complaints
By Derek71 on

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

Considering my experience with VW as well as that of friends who own one, I'm not so sure I'd buy another. I say this because it depends heavily on the individual car you get. I have had almost no trouble with my Beetle which is rapidly approaching the 6 year mark. My complaints are limited to minor frustrations. The lightbulbs burn out rather frequently and cost $75 to replace. You try getting at them yourself. Also, the tapedeck is junk. Even when you use CD or AM/FM the tapedeck decides to engage and tell you "No Tape". Yeah, thanks for the update. I replaced the automatic window switches myself ($40 part + a screwdriver to pop it off).

Stiff suspension and great handling. Well geared (5 speed). Responsive acceleration. Front leg room. Telescoping steering wheel. Strong engine.

Easier access to lightbulbs. Either that or equip the car with bulbs that don't burn out every 5 or 6 months. Contract another vendor for the radio. What a piece of junk!