1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: It's worth the few flaws!!

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Review

It's worth the few flaws!!
By kassidyheath on

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car last year with 100,000 miles on it, and throughout the additional 16,000 miles i've driven, the problems have been minor, few, and far between. I felt confident buying it with so many miles already on it because Volkswagen engines seem to be bulletproof. Initially when idling, the engine would have a tendency to overheat in the Florida summers but having a mechanic for a father and adjusting the cooling system there haven't been any problems since. The transmission is a little rough during acceleration and deceleration, but it's 14 years old. I rear ended a pickup once pretty hard and the truck suffered a lot worse than the Beetle! Very safe, love this car.

I love the lengthy dashboard, and the trunk is surprisingly spacey! The front seats have plenty of foot room and the backseats aren't as cramped as they'd seem from the outside. The car itself has a lot of personality, it's really easy to park in tight spaces, the handling is really reliable and I feel very safe while driving. I love, love my beetle!

The cup holders are pretty lame, because the dashboard extends so low there's no room for any bottles or cups. I wish the backseat windows rolled down. The roof in the back is a pretty low and my tall friends complain about hitting their heads when we carpool. Also, I wish I got better mileage. At 22 mpg, it's disappointingly wasteful for its size. I don't own the diesel version, but it gets around 50 mpg and for a thousand or so more it would have been a wiser investment. Also if you're really into music, I recommend updating the sound system. Since it's got such a small cabin it doesn't need much as far as amplification, and i'm so happy with it!! :)