1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Don't Waste Your Money

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

Base 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Don't Waste Your Money
By CalPolyJustin on

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

This car is a total piece of junk. So many things went wrong with this car that I almost lost track of how many times it was towed into the Volkswagen dealer. The driver side window motor had to be replaced twice, the headlights continually burned out, the coating on the interior door handles peeled off, it blew a head gasket, the radiator cracked, this piece of plastic fell off the dash, the radio had terrible reception, the interior (light beige) got dirty just looking at it, the buttons fell off the alarm fob, and it costs over $100 to have a key made. All of this happened with less than 60,000 miles on it.

Honestly nothing. I ignored the negative reviews before I bought this car and thought I would be optimistic that nothing bad would happen to me. Unfortunately, after owning it for one year and spending over $4000 in repairs, I wasn't that lucky.

Maybe they aught to spend a little more money on these cars and assemble them in Germany like some other Volkswagens, rather that relying on the inferior slave-labor of Mexico. Please take my advice and don't buy a New Beetle or any other Volkswagen for that matter.