1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
woo hoo!
By gogoguerilla on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I think the bug is the ULTIMATE road trip car in that it's just a blast to drive... it has its quirks, but so do all cars.. and I prefer to see these "quirks" as "character"... It's a great car for med-long commutes as well as sporting arond town.. as aforementioned, it's also done a few long hauls with me with no major problems. it's a car that you instantly make a part of the family... i would recommend it to anyone who's not in dire need of tons of trunk space, but loves an airy, roomy, comfy, super fun car... i'd definitely also consider doing some upgrades, too (i.e. performance chip, exhaus improvement, etc.)

VW Bug
By Francois on 09/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Great fun car, easy to drive and feeling of sportyness and safty

Bugbug
By Greta on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Fun to drive, not enough power, dash too long.

Happy Since I Sold It....
By SFborn on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I'm so delighted I dumped this car. What a loser! I spent close to $9,000 to repair some suspension problem, the engine burned a quart of oil every 750 miles and Volkswagen would do nothing about it, and yup, I too had the pealing interior problem, the engine fan seemed to run all the time and the air conditioning vents broke. Got tired of trying to figure out what would go wrong next. Bought a Mercedes - smart move. I dumped this lemon while I could still get money for it - I suggest you do the same!

fun but there is a price to pay
By johnblaze03 on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I was so excited when I picked up my black 98 Beetle from the dealership. However, this feeling quickly turned to frustration after multiple problems with this "car"... 1) car would not start--later determined the engine fan was running almost 24 hours a day, thus killing the battery. 2) "check engine" light came on, nothing determined to be wrong with the car at that time. Very frustrating problem that causes many headaches. 3) drivers side window would not come up, part took over 3 weeks to get in. 4) when I shifted to 4th gear, and odd clicking noise would come from the engine

My Red Bug
By jbm on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This is our third car. I drive a Cadillac Seville and the husband drives a Chevy Tahoe...actually it is our 4th car...we also have a 1973 Super Beetle Convertible. I have so much fun in this car. I don't drive it much...only 16,000 miles in four years. I'll keep it forever I guess.

A typical experience
By debug on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I love this car, it's so fun. Use it as a 3rd car -about to sell it since it's hard to get a car seat into the back. Window switch problem, peeling door handles (no lotion here!), badly designed cup holders, had MANY headlights and harnesses, plus electrical problem I had to go to war over...defective killed the battery within 48 hours. They told me I should "drive it more!" (how, since it was always dead?) After calling VW and causing a scene at the dealer they finally diagnosed the problem. It is cute, fun, very good pickup. I still love it after all that. Good design, German-style steering. And it fits my 6'4" spouse.

Used to like it....
By Gettin_an_Audi... on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I am the original owner of a Blue New Beetle, we have had to Replace the 02 sensor, the windoew controls twice, window regulator, and just yesterday, door latch sensor, air conditioning filter, mass air sensor, etc - most of which were all out of warrenty. The car was decent - I got it as my first car. The safety was definetly a selling factor. But, if we would have known all the issues it was going to have, we never would have bought it. My interior door handles are peeling too, and I don't use lotion... VW sure gives everyone the run around.

Runs great...BUT
By l8dybug on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I haven't had any of the electical problems mentioned in the other reviews. My complaints are about mostly cosmetic problems. The interior door handles are peeling...I'm told it's from the lotion I use (?), the antennae is getting corroded, the gas cover has broken 3 times, I've had to replace the pegs on the hatchback twice. Also the doors are causing nicks in the paint on the front fender. Irritating little things, but overall I like the car.

Love My Bug
By TTopper on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought my bug during the Beetle Maddness of 1998. I've owned it for 4 years and have really enjoyed the experience. This is my 5th VW, and this one hasn't disappointed. The car is roomy, spacious, good on gas, handles well and great on a long trip