1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
meh
By cantcomplain on 05/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I got this car for my 16th birthday. It was the car I always wanted...cute, fun...until you drive it. It had 30,000 on it when we bought it. Since then, we've replaced both window switches, both O2 sensors, radiator and engine mounts. The check engine light pops on periodically. We didn't recieve a maintenance record with the car. I don't think we would have bought the car if there was one. It's an electrical attrocity. If I've learned one thing, its not to buy a prototype.

Don't Waste Your Money
By CalPolyJustin on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car is a total piece of junk. So many things went wrong with this car that I almost lost track of how many times it was towed into the Volkswagen dealer. The driver side window motor had to be replaced twice, the headlights continually burned out, the coating on the interior door handles peeled off, it blew a head gasket, the radiator cracked, this piece of plastic fell off the dash, the radio had terrible reception, the interior (light beige) got dirty just looking at it, the buttons fell off the alarm fob, and it costs over $100 to have a key made. All of this happened with less than 60,000 miles on it.

pure waste of money
By monkey mike on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Worst excuse for a car I have ever seen. Interior is cheap and everything breaks (glovebox latch, power window buttons, etc) plus the seats fade really quickly. On the mechanical side, this car is a nightmare. Power window on drivers side went out, and the window actually shattered inside the door panel. Took a month to get a new regulator in. Engine makes popping noises that the dealer can't figure out how to remedy. Check engine light keeps coming on. Trunk button on inside of car does not actually release the trunk latch. I guess that will fully break pretty soon. Also, the interior of the car is full of rattles and squeaks.

Lease return or Purchase Offer???
By B & J Buffington on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

After reading others' experience with this car the decision to make an offer to the lessor or return the car will not be easy. There appear to be a substantial number of "lemons" in the 1998 model year. Problems since our purchase included a faulty A/C compressor, door regulator arm, and the battery.The lease "residual" is $13,400 and based on the current market valuation our offer to purchase will likely be roughly $9,000 (plus or minus $500). Like the Ford Focus this car has great engineering but inconsistent component quality and/or production assembly problems.

Fun car/Poor Qualty
By Treva Hagstrom on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This is a fun car but has been towed in several times. Several Headlights 5-8 Many window regulars 5 Electronic key entry About $350. This car has had 3 Batteries. This can only be installed by the dealer.They have to reset the computer. This cost about $135. Several other people have had the same Problem. We are not happy with the qualty.

First and last VW
By SweetStellarS on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought my VW in Sept of 1998 and so far I know all the service department employees at 3 different VW dealerships in the area. I bought a lemon but the BBB didn't think so, they also thought that my extended warranty was good enough if anything broke on the car after the manufacture's warranty ran out. So far it has covered ONE minor thing, honestly it was a waste of $1000! My 1989 Ford Escort was more reliable! The bugs at the dealership now because I almost KILLED myself making a right hand turn when the vehicle completely turned off making me go straight into on coming traffic! You name it, I've had the problem! My advice, DON'T EVER BUY A VW!

I Love THE VW!
By Calley on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I have my very own black one and it is great! i wouldn't want another car they are to cute!

beetle disapointment
By Carrie on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I was very excited about my New Beetle. After it hit 30,000 miles, total disapointment. Window controls broke off, trunk open light stayed on, battery died, speedometer stopped working, and dash light went out. At 35,000 miles the window support gave out and window got stuck inside door. Poor interior electrical everything.

1998 VWBeetle--Pass it up
By jonesy on 10/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

The 1998 VW Beetle is the worst car I ever had. My mechanic told me with all the repairs I have had, I could have bought a Jaquar. Maybe I'll buy a Jag for my next car. Might as well.

The New Beetle is Falling Apart
By Mike Cleary on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I am in my late 40's, the "Only" driver. Hood latch broke. Dealer said - "Never saw that before." Hmmmm Cable to shifter broke. Dealer said - "Never saw that before." Hmmmm # 2 Window switches - will be replacing again. Just a plain Hmmm from dealer. Interrior is comming unglued; hand brake button gone. Very disappointed with the quality of interrior. Replacing front headlight bulbs requires the dexterity of a surgeon. Now have a serious rattle coming from underneath when it is started.