1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Never buy another
By bonerrick on 12/15/09 18:00 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

first, this car sets so low to the ground that I scraped the bottom and broke the oil pan, 2x. costly repairs! Then the it overheated and the timing belt, pump had to be replaced, another costly repair. The windows don't work, especially in winters. The door doesn't open on the passenger side and a rock hit the windshield and put a big round crack on the driver side. Now, the check engine lights comes on and when I put it for diagnosis, it says that a valve is going in the wrong direction. What next!!!! the door lining is falling down on me when I drive so have to use duck tape to keep it in place. never will I buy another german made car, made in Mexico...

If your not a mechanic don't buy the Bug
By Not a mech don't buy on 08/19/09 19:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Windows failed out of warranty, rip off repair. A/C quit needed new compressor, condenser and expansion valve, I put them in. Front wheel bearing right side went bad, I put new one in. Lights fail alot hard to change both rear and front lights. Parking brakes cables stuck from rust, I replaced. Rear brakes wear way too fast, calipers go bad for no reason. Water pumps fail randomly, I replaced that. Beetle needs may parts redesigned for reliability. Simple things cost too much, center of hub caps emblems fall off cost 30 dollars way too much for nothing. Gas door gets stuck, adjusted alot to make it work right. VW engineers have no clue on design for easy of maintenance nor reliability.

Lemon
By Paisley Jane on 07/08/09 14:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I only had this car for 6 years, 2 of which it was only driven about once a month by my parents because I lived out of the country. Despite this, it had 1000s of dollars worth of repairs needed every year. One month after purchase it needed $1000 worth of repairs. The final straw came yesterday when they told me I needed $5000 worth of repairs to ABS system, some fuel thing, etc. I took it directly to Toyota and traded it in.

11 years and still a great car
By Pinky on 05/11/09 10:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car when it first came out and now, at 105,000 miles, it still runs great. A few repairs here- and-there, but great overall quality and driving experience. The mileage remains consistent, the look is still classic and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Excellent
By brit_008 on 09/29/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I absolutely love my bug! I've had it for almost 2 years. Never really had any problems. Except for the rear brake lights. In case other '98 owners didn't know, the brake switch was recalled on all 98 bugs. (lights stay on, etc.) my lights had been staying on and I searched it out and found out that's what it was. I'm the second owner, and the first never had any problems with it. So, I took it to my local vdub dealer and they fixed it right up. Never had any trouble since. Great car, love they way it handles. Very fun to drive.

One Happy Beetle Owner
By petra on 09/07/08 18:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I've had her for 9 years now. Try to take good care of her. Change my oil every 3000 mi. Do all the other stuff too. Bottom line, for what I need in a car, this one is perfect and I shall drive her for another 10 years at least.

1998 VW Beetle Hatchback
By onexrn on 04/15/07 12:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Thoroughly enjoy driving my VW Beetle, drives like a dream, hugs the road nicely. Would like to see better mileage. I get only 19mi/gal.

More trouble!
By John on 04/06/07 10:54 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Early on we experienced electrical problems, rattles and other issues with this car. We should have sold it! Now, we are replacing the clutch every year. We are now on the fourth clutch for this vehicle. It's going this time!

Bug
By JR on 11/16/06 08:10 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

The Volkswagen Beetle is a car with good room, power, gas mileage, and design. It is fun to drive and easy to park, which is a real plus in city driving and living.

Love the Look, Hate the Repair Bills.
By paige on 09/26/06 16:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I love the look of the Beetle, it looks like a smiling face. I however, am not smiling anymore because of the numerous repair bills, including replacing the tail, head, and brake light bulbs all of the time. I have replaced the auto window switches numerous times. I have had my car for 8+ years and I expect to replace and repair things, but this car is nickel and dimeing me to death! It's a horrible feeling taking your car somewhere and not being sure you will be able to get back home. I had to replace a plastic component in the gear shift that broke and I could not get out of third gear, then some months later, a gear shift cable broke and I couldn't get out of 2nd gear. Time for a new car!