Used 1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

207k still running
By GJR

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

cant believe its 12 yrs old. Held up great, but, so many repairs and each was very costly,$400-$800. Fun car to drive, but too many simple flaws that were too costly to bother fixing, ie:gas cap not closing. and breaking of same parts-bargain price, but too costly to maintain after a few years. Although many parts still original and reliable car, ends dont justify the means.

Favorite Features

Great tight handling, like a go-cart- great parking in NYC

Suggested Improvements

arm rest, interior lights, has none.

The Money Pit
By Diana

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

All my daughter wanted after she turned 16 was a VW Bug. We found one in Albuquerque, New Mexico where we are originally from and my husband drove it back to Texas. The night he arrived the clutch went out. ($2000) Repairs were delayed due to the engine hood latch broke and couldn't open it. It is now in the repair shop again with a busted oil pan which we are finding is very hard to find without the sensor hole in it. These are the major expenses that have incurred in the very short time of ownership. The little expenses are endless. I am so disappointed in VW I thought they were better car manufactures than this.

Bug of my dreams?
By bob

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I've always wanted a bug, found the one i was looking for but as soon as i took it home everything went wrong. electrical problems, engine problems, right window wont roll up. to think this car is cute your totally wrong. major regret

Favorite Features

color & gas

Suggested Improvements

everything

Lemon
By 1998 new beetle

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car has been a lemon since we purchased. We have spent over 22 thousand dollars in repairs. As we speak the car is broken again. We spent more in repairs than we paid for the car. I called the corporate office for Volkswagen, their comment was that they could do nothing about. The car has been broken down ever few months apart from the lat. Each visit is always 1 or 2 thousand if not more. I would not take another one of these cars if it was given to me.

Favorite Features

The outside of the car

Suggested Improvements

Keep the thing running with less repairs. And stand good by the product. Take better care of unhappy customers

Eh, it's ok
By whitney1313

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

My 1998 bug now has 72,000 miles (bought it with 5,000 miles). So far, I have replaced the timing belt, spark plugs / wires, window regulators multiple times, alternator ($$$$$$$), wheel ball bearings, taillight (twice). The list is endless. Some of the parts that have been replaced are normal wear items, but even my mechanics have said that the car shouldn't be doing this with only 75,000 miles. Also, about every interior trim piece is sitting in the back seat. If you do buy one, be prepared to take the three layer door apart often to fix the window problems- they're notorious.

Favorite Features

The car is fun to drive, like a go-kart. The gas mileage is ok as well.

Suggested Improvements

Volkswagen should definitely redesign the interior trim parts and fix the darn windows!