Used 1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

My very 1st Car !!!
By jjnj

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car is a great 1st car . I'm in love with my Red Buggy! Having to refill the gas tank can be kind of hectic but it's a very cute and enough room for me and my friends to ride in comfortably. It's not for a group of 5 at all, I love the long dashboard and how I can adjust the seat just right so I can get comfortable. My car is 18 years old my parents bought it through a friend and when we got it , it barely worked now it runs as good as any car on the road today just needs tint and a paint job and she'll be back to good.

This car has been reliable as ever
By Michael

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car has been so reliable from the start of purchase. The engine runs great and the only time I have problems with it is when you have to fix what needs to be fixed.

3rd owner 98 beetle TDI
By Hadyn

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

If you can buy one used these days, do it. I got mine for under 3k and it has 180k miles on it. I got it because I found it at such a great price and VW mechanic owned.

I never expected I'd ever like owning a new beetle and just saw it as a cheap, clean car that gets incredible gas Mileage.

Being 6'2" I usually would never have bought a car this small but I do have a good 6 inches of headroom between the top of my head and the headliner.

It's not fast, but it's quick. The torque is a lot for that little bug and it really does get around.

Overall I'm very happy with my second hand purchase and maybe I just got a good one by the looks of the mixed reviews here.

Don't Do It!
By smn

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1998 Beetle, 5 speed manual transmission from my neighbor.
They saw me coming!
The car now has 112,000 miles on it and the control module, catalytic converter and ignition module all went out.
It is going to cost me more to fix it than its worth.
Don't bother with VW.
The glove box and trunk release are broken.
The clear coat has peeled off.
Regretting spending $3K on this car.
My Honda has 200,000 miles on it and runs like a top!!

Rough around the edges but never one to let me down :)
By koypond

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car to go back and fourth to university with. Its a pretty good little car for one person if you ask me, it drives smooth and is easy to maneuver. the interior is a bit vexing, but easy to accept given the lovable exterior :) would never wanna sell it! its become my partner in crime.

compact size, speedy little engine, cute exterior add up to a good car :)

a few minor problems with some of the little features and the mileage isn't as good as you'd think, but still not the worst I've had