1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Don't Do It!
By smn

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1998 Beetle, 5 speed manual transmission from my neighbor. They saw me coming! The car now has 112,000 miles on it and the control module, catalytic converter and ignition module all went out. It is going to cost me more to fix it than its worth. Don't bother with VW. The glove box and trunk release are broken. The clear coat has peeled off. Regretting spending $3K on this car. My Honda has 200,000 miles on it and runs like a top!!

Rough around the edges but never one to let me down :)
By koypond

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car to go back and fourth to university with. Its a pretty good little car for one person if you ask me, it drives smooth and is easy to maneuver. the interior is a bit vexing, but easy to accept given the lovable exterior :) would never wanna sell it! its become my partner in crime.

Favorite Features

compact size, speedy little engine, cute exterior add up to a good car :)

Suggested Improvements

a few minor problems with some of the little features and the mileage isn't as good as you'd think, but still not the worst I've had

It's worth the few flaws!!
By kassidyheath

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car last year with 100,000 miles on it, and throughout the additional 16,000 miles i've driven, the problems have been minor, few, and far between. I felt confident buying it with so many miles already on it because Volkswagen engines seem to be bulletproof. Initially when idling, the engine would have a tendency to overheat in the Florida summers but having a mechanic for a father and adjusting the cooling system there haven't been any problems since. The transmission is a little rough during acceleration and deceleration, but it's 14 years old. I rear ended a pickup once pretty hard and the truck suffered a lot worse than the Beetle! Very safe, love this car.

Favorite Features

I love the lengthy dashboard, and the trunk is surprisingly spacey! The front seats have plenty of foot room and the backseats aren't as cramped as they'd seem from the outside. The car itself has a lot of personality, it's really easy to park in tight spaces, the handling is really reliable and I feel very safe while driving. I love, love my beetle!

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are pretty lame, because the dashboard extends so low there's no room for any bottles or cups. I wish the backseat windows rolled down. The roof in the back is a pretty low and my tall friends complain about hitting their heads when we carpool. Also, I wish I got better mileage. At 22 mpg, it's disappointingly wasteful for its size. I don't own the diesel version, but it gets around 50 mpg and for a thousand or so more it would have been a wiser investment. Also if you're really into music, I recommend updating the sound system. Since it's got such a small cabin it doesn't need much as far as amplification, and i'm so happy with it!! :)

our 98 Beetle
By ourlibby

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

We like our's, runs great, good on gas, inside is a joke ! But for a good sound,,, take off the muffler just run the cat :)

Favorite Features

The sound

Suggested Improvements

inside trim.

Do not waste your time on Beetles PLEASE
By lylarose13

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I beg you. I have spent over 3000 and now need a new transmission (everybody seems to need these with these cars.) The car only has 70 K's and when I bought it only had 39,000. NOTHING BUT A MONEY PIT of problems and every time I turn around I see more and more people with the EXACT same issues as me to a, "t." Like others have said, it should be illegal to make a car this unsafe, and unreliable. Even though my car is older there are similar problems with newer models of this car. I can't think of a worse car to own then this one. Seriously.

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

They should just learn to make reliable cars like Japanese makers. Seriously my favorite car is a BMW but after owning a German car with this many problems, I WILL NEVER EVER EVER own one even if it was given to me for free.

207k still running
By GJR

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

cant believe its 12 yrs old. Held up great, but, so many repairs and each was very costly,$400-$800. Fun car to drive, but too many simple flaws that were too costly to bother fixing, ie:gas cap not closing. and breaking of same parts-bargain price, but too costly to maintain after a few years. Although many parts still original and reliable car, ends dont justify the means.

Favorite Features

Great tight handling, like a go-cart- great parking in NYC

Suggested Improvements

arm rest, interior lights, has none.

The Money Pit
By Diana

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

All my daughter wanted after she turned 16 was a VW Bug. We found one in Albuquerque, New Mexico where we are originally from and my husband drove it back to Texas. The night he arrived the clutch went out. ($2000) Repairs were delayed due to the engine hood latch broke and couldn't open it. It is now in the repair shop again with a busted oil pan which we are finding is very hard to find without the sensor hole in it. These are the major expenses that have incurred in the very short time of ownership. The little expenses are endless. I am so disappointed in VW I thought they were better car manufactures than this.

Bug of my dreams?
By bob

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I've always wanted a bug, found the one i was looking for but as soon as i took it home everything went wrong. electrical problems, engine problems, right window wont roll up. to think this car is cute your totally wrong. major regret

Favorite Features

color & gas

Suggested Improvements

everything

Lemon
By 1998 new beetle

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car has been a lemon since we purchased. We have spent over 22 thousand dollars in repairs. As we speak the car is broken again. We spent more in repairs than we paid for the car. I called the corporate office for Volkswagen, their comment was that they could do nothing about. The car has been broken down ever few months apart from the lat. Each visit is always 1 or 2 thousand if not more. I would not take another one of these cars if it was given to me.

Favorite Features

The outside of the car

Suggested Improvements

Keep the thing running with less repairs. And stand good by the product. Take better care of unhappy customers

Eh, it's ok
By whitney1313

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

My 1998 bug now has 72,000 miles (bought it with 5,000 miles). So far, I have replaced the timing belt, spark plugs / wires, window regulators multiple times, alternator ($$$$$$$), wheel ball bearings, taillight (twice). The list is endless. Some of the parts that have been replaced are normal wear items, but even my mechanics have said that the car shouldn't be doing this with only 75,000 miles. Also, about every interior trim piece is sitting in the back seat. If you do buy one, be prepared to take the three layer door apart often to fix the window problems- they're notorious.

Favorite Features

The car is fun to drive, like a go-kart. The gas mileage is ok as well.

Suggested Improvements

Volkswagen should definitely redesign the interior trim parts and fix the darn windows!