Used 1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Don't Do It!
By smn

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1998 Beetle, 5 speed manual transmission from my neighbor. They saw me coming! The car now has 112,000 miles on it and the control module, catalytic converter and ignition module all went out. It is going to cost me more to fix it than its worth. Don't bother with VW. The glove box and trunk release are broken. The clear coat has peeled off. Regretting spending $3K on this car. My Honda has 200,000 miles on it and runs like a top!!

Rough around the edges but never one to let me down :)
By koypond

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car to go back and fourth to university with. Its a pretty good little car for one person if you ask me, it drives smooth and is easy to maneuver. the interior is a bit vexing, but easy to accept given the lovable exterior :) would never wanna sell it! its become my partner in crime.

compact size, speedy little engine, cute exterior add up to a good car :)

a few minor problems with some of the little features and the mileage isn't as good as you'd think, but still not the worst I've had

It's worth the few flaws!!
By kassidyheath

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car last year with 100,000 miles on it, and throughout the additional 16,000 miles i've driven, the problems have been minor, few, and far between. I felt confident buying it with so many miles already on it because Volkswagen engines seem to be bulletproof. Initially when idling, the engine would have a tendency to overheat in the Florida summers but having a mechanic for a father and adjusting the cooling system there haven't been any problems since. The transmission is a little rough during acceleration and deceleration, but it's 14 years old. I rear ended a pickup once pretty hard and the truck suffered a lot worse than the Beetle! Very safe, love this car.

I love the lengthy dashboard, and the trunk is surprisingly spacey! The front seats have plenty of foot room and the backseats aren't as cramped as they'd seem from the outside. The car itself has a lot of personality, it's really easy to park in tight spaces, the handling is really reliable and I feel very safe while driving. I love, love my beetle!

The cup holders are pretty lame, because the dashboard extends so low there's no room for any bottles or cups. I wish the backseat windows rolled down. The roof in the back is a pretty low and my tall friends complain about hitting their heads when we carpool. Also, I wish I got better mileage. At 22 mpg, it's disappointingly wasteful for its size. I don't own the diesel version, but it gets around 50 mpg and for a thousand or so more it would have been a wiser investment. Also if you're really into music, I recommend updating the sound system. Since it's got such a small cabin it doesn't need much as far as amplification, and i'm so happy with it!! :)

our 98 Beetle
By ourlibby

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

We like our's, runs great, good on gas, inside is a joke ! But for a good sound,,, take off the muffler just run the cat :)

The sound

inside trim.

Do not waste your time on Beetles PLEASE
By lylarose13

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I beg you. I have spent over 3000 and now need a new transmission (everybody seems to need these with these cars.) The car only has 70 K's and when I bought it only had 39,000. NOTHING BUT A MONEY PIT of problems and every time I turn around I see more and more people with the EXACT same issues as me to a, "t." Like others have said, it should be illegal to make a car this unsafe, and unreliable. Even though my car is older there are similar problems with newer models of this car. I can't think of a worse car to own then this one. Seriously.

NONE

They should just learn to make reliable cars like Japanese makers. Seriously my favorite car is a BMW but after owning a German car with this many problems, I WILL NEVER EVER EVER own one even if it was given to me for free.