Used 1998 Volkswagen New Beetle TDi Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

TDi 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )

My Love Bug!
By funnymermaid

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

I've got around 80,000 miles on it. I bought it approx 5 yrs ago, when it had 50,000 miles, from my elderly Mom. We've both took great care of it, kept it maintained. I've had very few problems, just regular normal problems. I've just now had to replace the AC compressor due to small leak, only $400! I still love, love, love my Bug!

Good gas mileage, cute, fun to drive....

Only complaint is the seat comfort. Edmunds review didn't include 2.0 automatic in choice's of model, only manual. I have 2.0 automatic.....

My poor Beetle
By Brian

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my TDI brand new back in 1998. loved the car but boy it did not take long to start sinking shop time and money into it. from headlights to window motors, to dash lights. I have had this car to the shop so many times they told me that all these beetles were doing the same thing. I have done a mass air flow sensor, I sill have the engine light on. timing belt and by the way its like 1100.00 for that at the VW dealership. they have to change all the parts on the front of the motor so they will stand behind there work. 2 cd players 2nd one is still not working. I paid 17,500.00 for this car and prob will have 8,000.00 in repairs soon. great idea for a car but a money pit......

Handling, fuel economy.

Ditch the car and start over.

Lots to like in a small car + 47 MPG
By rickf

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

I see a lot of complaining about New Beetles in here, but reviews are created by the people who love and the people who hate the car. So you get either side... I have a 1998 Beetle that has 104K miles on it. Yes, it is 11 years old, yes it needs a little this or a little that, but honestly... show me any 11 year old car that starts every time even in sub zero weather, gets great gas mileage, and all in all is a great car. Take care of your vehicles and they will take care of you.

MPG 47+, car doesn't age, great for small trips.

Ride could be smoother, but the short wheel base makes that difficult... ESP would have been a nice touch, but is now available on newer models.

VW in New England
By rwsotr

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

Costly repairs with the dealers. Much easier to buy parts online and use the neighbor to assist with repairs. Replaced injection pump x2, timing belt q60K, now need new drivers seat.

handles well in all weather conditions, fun to drive when the check engine light isnt on

raise it 2", use a metal dipstick tube so it can be plugged in, chip them up in the factory, use 1oz 2 cycle oil per gal of diesel, have replacable lenses for the fog lights

Own for 5 years
By garner61

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car Feb.1st of 1999 after waiting almost a year to get one. Great gas mileage - I have 106000 miles on it still get 44 mpg. The A.C. compressor has gone out twice. Left door window broke and have had lots of trouble with lights. But all told I have saved more on fuel than repairs. About 2100.00 so far on total repairs. Have changed belt out at 60k. Hope to run till 200k.

Great fuel mileage

Fix the A.C. fuel door still don't work. Lights give me a lot of trouble still. but would not trade it yet.