1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

TDi 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )
My Love Bug!
By funnymermaid on 05/23/11 17:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

I've got around 80,000 miles on it. I bought it approx 5 yrs ago, when it had 50,000 miles, from my elderly Mom. We've both took great care of it, kept it maintained. I've had very few problems, just regular normal problems. I've just now had to replace the AC compressor due to small leak, only $400! I still love, love, love my Bug!

My poor Beetle
By Brian on 08/07/09 11:44 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my TDI brand new back in 1998. loved the car but boy it did not take long to start sinking shop time and money into it. from headlights to window motors, to dash lights. I have had this car to the shop so many times they told me that all these beetles were doing the same thing. I have done a mass air flow sensor, I sill have the engine light on. timing belt and by the way its like 1100.00 for that at the VW dealership. they have to change all the parts on the front of the motor so they will stand behind there work. 2 cd players 2nd one is still not working. I paid 17,500.00 for this car and prob will have 8,000.00 in repairs soon. great idea for a car but a money pit......

Lots to like in a small car + 47 MPG
By rickf on 02/04/09 06:43 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

I see a lot of complaining about New Beetles in here, but reviews are created by the people who love and the people who hate the car. So you get either side... I have a 1998 Beetle that has 104K miles on it. Yes, it is 11 years old, yes it needs a little this or a little that, but honestly... show me any 11 year old car that starts every time even in sub zero weather, gets great gas mileage, and all in all is a great car. Take care of your vehicles and they will take care of you.

VW in New England
By rwsotr on 02/29/08 12:40 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

Costly repairs with the dealers. Much easier to buy parts online and use the neighbor to assist with repairs. Replaced injection pump x2, timing belt q60K, now need new drivers seat.

Own for 5 years
By garner61 on 01/19/05 13:15 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car Feb.1st of 1999 after waiting almost a year to get one. Great gas mileage - I have 106000 miles on it still get 44 mpg. The A.C. compressor has gone out twice. Left door window broke and have had lots of trouble with lights. But all told I have saved more on fuel than repairs. About 2100.00 so far on total repairs. Have changed belt out at 60k. Hope to run till 200k.

Silver 5 speed in VA
By phylnurs on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

I have had my vehicle for about 1 1/2 years. It only had 14000 miles on it at the time so I have spent alot of time in it. I am considering upgrading to a newer one of the same type. I bought for the fel efficiency and it has been great! People smile when they see on of these cars pull in near them. Kids love "punch buggies" too :)

overall a good car
By bigd on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

i bought the car used with 58k for 10k. My mechanic at 60k changed the belt for 600 bucks.The maintenance cost are high at the dealer.The Dealer replaced the headlight assembly 425.54.The fuel door was sticking so back to the dealer. Total parts with labor 204.30.I also had to change the battery about 75k.The bulb or light for the a/c panel doesnt work either at night.Also a new set of pads front and back 80 bucks and 4 new tires from discount. Basically this is a very good car.I have put 42k 1yr the car with no problems.It does handle very well.I have heard stories of people going over 100mph but mine just wont quite get there.

It's sooooooooo cute
By beeralert on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car almost 3 years ago and I want to hug it every day. This is TDI GLS version with an automatic transmission. Suprisingly good acceleration off the line (even with the automatic). I test drove a 5 speed and as expected the performance was more lively than the automatic.....but the automatic is good. Aside from regular oil changes (synthetic only) and a new set of front brakes, there have been absolutely no mechanical problems. (I think the TDI engine is bulletproof). I would highly recommend this car. I am getting about 530 miles out of a tank of gas (with a heavy foot).

Fantastic Commuter Car!
By dieselbreath on 03/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

I ordered this car Jan.1998 after sitting in one at the Vancouver International Auto Show (I'm 6'5"). But its so much better than just an economy car with headroom. Beetles handle well. The torque launches the car off traffic lights faster than most "performance" cars! Maneuvering in tight locations is a breeze, and there are parking spots it will fit into everywhere. LOW POINTS: - its low to the ground ... if you encounter lots of snow its not the car for you. - the suspension doesn't have the travel to soak up bumps like a typical German car. - the back seat is NOT for adults. (but kids love it) Other than that its reliable and economical.

Poor quality
By tracy on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDi 2dr Hatchback

I love my bug unfortunatly since the warranty has expired: I having a variety of problems. The electric window on the passenger side failled. The onboard computer is now having problems again after having been replaced under warranty. The cost for changing of a headlight was $500.00 ( an internal problem ) One of the headlight burned out again 3 months after replacement the other one after 6 months. The molding on the back window is falling off. Volkswagen has spent massive amounts of money on advertisements to make us forget about their not so good reputation. It appears to me that they are still unable to build a car without problems.