1998 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Don't Do It!
By smn on 01/31/14 22:20 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1998 Beetle, 5 speed manual transmission from my neighbor. They saw me coming! The car now has 112,000 miles on it and the control module, catalytic converter and ignition module all went out. It is going to cost me more to fix it than its worth. Don't bother with VW. The glove box and trunk release are broken. The clear coat has peeled off. Regretting spending $3K on this car. My Honda has 200,000 miles on it and runs like a top!!

Rough around the edges but never one to let me down :)
By koypond on 08/25/13 21:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car to go back and fourth to university with. Its a pretty good little car for one person if you ask me, it drives smooth and is easy to maneuver. the interior is a bit vexing, but easy to accept given the lovable exterior :) would never wanna sell it! its become my partner in crime.

It's worth the few flaws!!
By kassidyheath on 08/02/12 02:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car last year with 100,000 miles on it, and throughout the additional 16,000 miles i've driven, the problems have been minor, few, and far between. I felt confident buying it with so many miles already on it because Volkswagen engines seem to be bulletproof. Initially when idling, the engine would have a tendency to overheat in the Florida summers but having a mechanic for a father and adjusting the cooling system there haven't been any problems since. The transmission is a little rough during acceleration and deceleration, but it's 14 years old. I rear ended a pickup once pretty hard and the truck suffered a lot worse than the Beetle! Very safe, love this car.

our 98 Beetle
By ourlibby on 06/22/12 05:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

We like our's, runs great, good on gas, inside is a joke ! But for a good sound,,, take off the muffler just run the cat :)

Do not waste your time on Beetles PLEASE
By lylarose13 on 11/21/11 15:08 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

I beg you. I have spent over 3000 and now need a new transmission (everybody seems to need these with these cars.) The car only has 70 K's and when I bought it only had 39,000. NOTHING BUT A MONEY PIT of problems and every time I turn around I see more and more people with the EXACT same issues as me to a, "t." Like others have said, it should be illegal to make a car this unsafe, and unreliable. Even though my car is older there are similar problems with newer models of this car. I can't think of a worse car to own then this one. Seriously.

My Love Bug!
By funnymermaid on 05/23/11 17:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle TDi 2dr Hatchback

I've got around 80,000 miles on it. I bought it approx 5 yrs ago, when it had 50,000 miles, from my elderly Mom. We've both took great care of it, kept it maintained. I've had very few problems, just regular normal problems. I've just now had to replace the AC compressor due to small leak, only $400! I still love, love, love my Bug!

207k still running
By GJR on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

cant believe its 12 yrs old. Held up great, but, so many repairs and each was very costly,$400-$800. Fun car to drive, but too many simple flaws that were too costly to bother fixing, ie:gas cap not closing. and breaking of same parts-bargain price, but too costly to maintain after a few years. Although many parts still original and reliable car, ends dont justify the means.

The Money Pit
By Diana on 09/04/10 20:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

All my daughter wanted after she turned 16 was a VW Bug. We found one in Albuquerque, New Mexico where we are originally from and my husband drove it back to Texas. The night he arrived the clutch went out. ($2000) Repairs were delayed due to the engine hood latch broke and couldn't open it. It is now in the repair shop again with a busted oil pan which we are finding is very hard to find without the sensor hole in it. These are the major expenses that have incurred in the very short time of ownership. The little expenses are endless. I am so disappointed in VW I thought they were better car manufactures than this.

Bug of my dreams?
By bob on 07/19/10 03:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

I've always wanted a bug, found the one i was looking for but as soon as i took it home everything went wrong. electrical problems, engine problems, right window wont roll up. to think this car is cute your totally wrong. major regret

Lemon
By 1998 new beetle on 07/13/10 06:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

This car has been a lemon since we purchased. We have spent over 22 thousand dollars in repairs. As we speak the car is broken again. We spent more in repairs than we paid for the car. I called the corporate office for Volkswagen, their comment was that they could do nothing about. The car has been broken down ever few months apart from the lat. Each visit is always 1 or 2 thousand if not more. I would not take another one of these cars if it was given to me.