Used 1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

3rd owner 98 beetle TDI
By Hadyn

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

If you can buy one used these days, do it. I got mine for under 3k and it has 180k miles on it. I got it because I found it at such a great price and VW mechanic owned. I never expected I'd ever like owning a new beetle and just saw it as a cheap, clean car that gets incredible gas Mileage. Being 6'2" I usually would never have bought a car this small but I do have a good 6 inches of headroom between the top of my head and the headliner. It's not fast, but it's quick. The torque is a lot for that little bug and it really does get around. Overall I'm very happy with my second hand purchase and maybe I just got a good one by the looks of the mixed reviews here.

Don't Do It!
By smn

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1998 Beetle, 5 speed manual transmission from my neighbor. They saw me coming! The car now has 112,000 miles on it and the control module, catalytic converter and ignition module all went out. It is going to cost me more to fix it than its worth. Don't bother with VW. The glove box and trunk release are broken. The clear coat has peeled off. Regretting spending $3K on this car. My Honda has 200,000 miles on it and runs like a top!!

Rough around the edges but never one to let me down :)
By koypond

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car to go back and fourth to university with. Its a pretty good little car for one person if you ask me, it drives smooth and is easy to maneuver. the interior is a bit vexing, but easy to accept given the lovable exterior :) would never wanna sell it! its become my partner in crime.

compact size, speedy little engine, cute exterior add up to a good car :)

a few minor problems with some of the little features and the mileage isn't as good as you'd think, but still not the worst I've had

It's worth the few flaws!!
By kassidyheath

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car last year with 100,000 miles on it, and throughout the additional 16,000 miles i've driven, the problems have been minor, few, and far between. I felt confident buying it with so many miles already on it because Volkswagen engines seem to be bulletproof. Initially when idling, the engine would have a tendency to overheat in the Florida summers but having a mechanic for a father and adjusting the cooling system there haven't been any problems since. The transmission is a little rough during acceleration and deceleration, but it's 14 years old. I rear ended a pickup once pretty hard and the truck suffered a lot worse than the Beetle! Very safe, love this car.

I love the lengthy dashboard, and the trunk is surprisingly spacey! The front seats have plenty of foot room and the backseats aren't as cramped as they'd seem from the outside. The car itself has a lot of personality, it's really easy to park in tight spaces, the handling is really reliable and I feel very safe while driving. I love, love my beetle!

The cup holders are pretty lame, because the dashboard extends so low there's no room for any bottles or cups. I wish the backseat windows rolled down. The roof in the back is a pretty low and my tall friends complain about hitting their heads when we carpool. Also, I wish I got better mileage. At 22 mpg, it's disappointingly wasteful for its size. I don't own the diesel version, but it gets around 50 mpg and for a thousand or so more it would have been a wiser investment. Also if you're really into music, I recommend updating the sound system. Since it's got such a small cabin it doesn't need much as far as amplification, and i'm so happy with it!! :)

our 98 Beetle
By ourlibby

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

We like our's, runs great, good on gas, inside is a joke ! But for a good sound,,, take off the muffler just run the cat :)

The sound