2015 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great car, but lacks power.
By Carson Cusano

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Comparing this car to my 2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 2.5. Not many changes in between then and the 2015. The A/C is just as good, the design is pretty much the same. One thing they did better in the 2015 model, is putting the auxiliary port in front of the car, instead of in the center console. Compared to my car, this one lacks so much power! I seem to have to press the pedal to the metal just to accelerate at a rate that makes me seem like I'm not an old grandmother driving. Even then, it lacks power. I don't think I'd get a new Jetta. Maybe look at the new Passat or Golf.

Turbo Sedan Daily Driver
By Steve

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife was in need of a car, and we had 7 days to car shop. She insisted on a manual transmission. We looked at the Accord Sport (excellent car, a bit to big for her taste), Mazda 3 with the base engine (anemic/cheap) and a Subaru WRX (amazing). We already have a BRZ, so we decided the extra expense of the WRX was unnecessary. There were only two 1.8TSI 5 speed cars in Houston at the time, and the first one I test drove was already purchased when I came back a second time to buy. The second test drive sold me on the car. The engine has a beefy flat torque curve, and it's probably underrated. It can produce "neck snapping" torque that can move the car to where you want it. The car does not come with a TC off button. Surprisingly, with aggressive driving in low speed sharp turns, the traction control allows for an appropriate amount of wheel spin to get you around quickly, and the corrections don't slow you down too much. Its rare that you find 15" wheels on a new car, and I greatly appreciate them. They do well on rough roads, and overall comfort. The 15" wheels also fit more than adequate brakes. Up there with the brilliant engine is a phenomenal suspension. There is very little slop in the suspension, and it is tuned well. It's extremely comfortable and can handle rough terrain like a champ. Another thing it does well is maintain stability through high speed corners. It hunkers down and there is a good amount of grip, and it can be driven smoothly at a nice pace. Compared to Japanese/Korean luxury cars I have recently driven, I prefer the Jetta's suspension, and for that matter, the over all comfort. The cabin is vault like. The only thing lacking in this base model is the front seats. I find there is not enough lumbar support, and sometimes when I'm moving about, the construction of the seats feels cheap. On the positive side, the fabric is durable and the heaters work well. The clutch on this car is pretty light, and I'm not sure if its a VW thing, but it feels weak. It doesn't grab as well as the sports cars I have driven. It has hill start assist which is helpful, but on a big hill, I find myself using twice as much clutch as I need to use in my BRZ. The gear shift has a vague feeling to it, but once you hit gear, there is a bit of a satisfying engagement. I have probably shifted into 3rd instead of 1st about 5 times over the past two years, and stalled, easy to do with the "light" clutch. The overall value is questionable. I think the trade in value is around $12,000, and I paid $18,000 OTD interest free. Still, at that price, I don't think the power, and overall quality feel of this car can be matched. Not considering the new Civic, which was not available at the time of purchase. But with max torque across the board, this sleeper is a blast to drive, and you can surprise some big bad wolves for a 1/2 a second. This is a sub 7 second 0-60 vehicle. I'm hoping to keep this for 100,000 miles or more, but I will probably tire of the manual transmission in traffic. We have achieved 43 mpg on a tank of gas on the highways traveling 75 mph+ (wife was driving). In town I believe it gets somewhere above 30 mpg. With just me city driving on a tank, I returned 27 mpg, but I stay in the boost. It's addicting.

Great car for money.
By Alexander

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE PZEV w/Connectivity 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After multiple visits to a dealer I got the TSI model 1.4 Turbo for little over $15,000 plus MD taxes. Car is extremely easy to drive. I wish I bought Manual... because there is more power hidden under the hood but I am driving in Washington D.C. Engine has chain! No timing belt changes! Car is very quiet. Very. The interior is okay. Very pleased with ergonomics. Nothing fancy but solid. I can compare to Camry (horrible experience). Bottom line: we all love VW but tend to buy something else because... whatever reasons. I am very happy with the car. Don't care about scandals. Cons. signal switch is too soft. Heavy doors but this is for our safety. This is it.

Cheap car. Cheap thrills. Runs.
By 90048

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S w/Technology 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I leased this car for my mom who needed a new car quick - I gravitated towards the Jetta since VW offered its "sign and drive" event. What enticed me to this car was the bluetooth and backup camera. Not to mention, the stylish exterior lines and LED type lighting under the licence plate made this car a great modern option for around $250 a month and no money down. 1 year later, she doesn't need the car anymore, and I'm now in possession of it. This car drives awful. It has awful cheap suspension, cheap tires, and literally jerks during shifting as if I'm in a manual transmission car. I get car sick from driving. This is a great car for a teen driver, or someone that just needs a quick cheap car - but for someone that is used to luxury cars and trying to compromise by saving money - no way. Awful. I'm hoping to test drive a Passat and Toureg and trade it in on a new lease at the 1 year mark in December. Great gas milage, decent visibility. Decent looks - drives like a car in or below it's price range. I've also noticed paint chips and peeling - less than 1 year of ownership. Lease this car - don't purchase it!

****Update*****4/13/16: Edmunds emails me asking me to "update my review". Well, I still HATE this car. It's a cheap piece of metal. Drives terrible, the backup camera sometimes doesn't work, and I CAN'T WAIT till the lease ends. IT's a super cheap car, but I would never lease this again. I have a friend that pays over $300/mo (no down) on the Jetta GLI and loves it, however I'm not spending over $300 on a JETTA, even if it has leather, turbo engine, ect. No thanks. For that, I'd rather have a luxury car. I can't believe people actually LIKE this car. It drives horrible and feels so cheap. I don't drive it much (try not to) however every other week or so I take it on longer (2-3 hour) drive to San Diego from LA. It's not that great on gas. The only thing I like about it is the SIRUS radio.

Roomy, Solid Car for the Money
By MarvinH

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S w/Technology 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The interior room of the Jetta is pushing the size of a mid-size car, especially the rear seats. I'm 6'4" and my 5'11 son can sit behind me comfortably without nagging me to move the seat up. The car handles confidently at high speeds; I can tell this was built for the Autobahn. It seems to be more sure-footed the faster you go. The acceleration of the 1.8 turbo is exceptional. Granted, a good-sized V6 would be able to pull away, but I've gotten out of some tight spots because my car had the yank to put me ahead of cars and trucks whose drivers were probably playing Bubble Witch on their phones.

To be honest, I am a bit concerned about the long-term reliability though. Compared to a Honda or Toyota, I have a feeling it might be more costly in the long run. Time will tell. Some people seem to have really good experiences; others, not so much. For now, it seems to be very solid. No rattles or squeaks. It's more fun to drive than a Corolla or a Civic, and it's much roomier, so I'm happy for now. I'm going to take the advice of other VW owners--stay on top of maintenance. German cars don't seem to handle neglect well.