2014 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Dont Buy It

2014 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Dont Buy It
By mrturner on

2014 Volkswagen Jetta 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since Edmunds site crashed and lost my last review this will be brief.

Didnt really like anything about this car after a couple months. The negative far outwheighed the positive.

MPG claims are BOGUS! I get 28MPG mixed 75% highway- nowhere near the claims. I Never got more than 34MPG on long highway trips @ 65Mph Bluetooth stereo please? Power windows do auto-down when using up fucntion Transmistion does not sync- gears grind all the time Rain rolls of the roof right on door exits and soaks you Windows dont defor quickly Takes forever to produce heat Gas lid will not open in cold weather Engine idles rough Steering feedback at highway speeds is inpredictable and pulls! Dangerous! Brakes make a TON of noise whent he car hasnt been moved for more than 24hrs. Engine noise is significant in the cabin Stereo is difficult to use and lacks bluetooth
By micheleishome
on 07/08/14 14:10 PM (PDT)

I have the same model. I get 19 mpg mixed driving and lately, 13 mpg locally. VW of America said my car is running as designed. Why did they say I would get 28 mpg mixed? It does get the advertised highway mileage if you drive at 67 mph. Unfortunately, I either do just local (city) driving, or mixed. Wish I had my Honda back. Tried to trade it in, but the dealership wanted me to take a several thousand dollar depreciation hit after 1100 miles. This car, with the 2.0 engine, is crap! Don't buy it!

By jamievidd
on 01/12/15 12:26 PM (PST)

Who in their right mind would buy the anemic 115hp 2.0 Jetta S version? That's a 15yr old (or older) design and built for the rental fleets.....or those who don't know any better. Of course the mileage is bad......it's completely underpowered and trying to move a 3000lb car. The SE and TDI are great though.