2014 Jetta SE 1.8
By reminder on
2014 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Connectivity (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Picked up the car just before Thanksgiving. Covered 800 miles thus far. Handles well, but not a sports car. Has that 'tight' feeling of quality that German cars are often described as having. New turbo motor & the return of the independent rear suspension is the main reason I selected the Jetta over a '14 Mazda 6. The power of the new motor works well being mated to the auto trans. Engine is extremely smooth and revs freely. Transmission is quick to up-shift in pursuit of MPG's, but also downshifts quickly if you need to pick up the pace. Interior is clean with simple controls. Heated seats have been handy with the vinyl seats and the cold temps in my neck of the woods.
Favorite Features
The all new turbo engine was the main reason for the purchase. Like the heated seats & side mirrors. Very large trunk for its class & good front & rear leg room. Good stereo, but not great. Bluetooth & ipod connectivity are nice, but not special. Too early & cold to draw conclusions about fuel economy, but seems to be close to estimates.
Suggested Improvements
I have one significant issue related to ride quality that might have something to do with the factory tires. There is a vibration/up & down sensation that's apparent right around 45 mph especially when the vehicle is in 6th gear under light load. You can still feel it at higher speeds. Almost like a wheel is out of balance, but no way to tell for certain until I get it back to the dealership. I researched the factory tires to see if they are well-reviewed. They aren't. They are Bridgestone Turanza EL 400-02. I checked with Tire Rack & the vast majority of the customers rate these tires as poor. I'll find out tomorrow when I get to the dealership.
By patinthecity
on 02/28/14 06:19 AM (PST)

I understand that you think it's a "free-revving" engine, but the 1.8 is in fact not free-revving by technical standards. VW usually has rev-limiters on their engine preventing them from revving past a certain RPM. If you revved it to the red-line, the fuel delivery would cut out at the limit briefly. A good way to test if your engine has a rev-limiter: while sitting stationary, with the transmission in the "park" position, depress the accelerator as far as it will go. If it won't rev past a certain RPM (VW has it set at around 4000) then your engine has a rev-limiter which then makes it not free-revving. Honda engines are usually free-revving.

By reminder
on 02/28/14 17:36 PM (PST)

When an informed person says "free-revving" they aren't saying that the motor is without a rev-limiter. Thanks for trying to give me a lesson on modern engine management technology, but I'm fully aware of fuel and ignition cut-off system. Limiters came into the picture to keep morons from damaging engines. Honda uses this technology as well.

By patinthecity
on 03/01/14 12:20 PM (PST)

Don't be hurt by my comment. You're still a super star blogger/reviewer. Although, I think an informed person would have used the word "flexible" to describe the engine's powerband, not free-revving, which really means nothing because all engines rev freely. And your insult to people being morons for not damaging engines is contradictory because not all engine have cut-off systems and aren't used simply to keep people from blowing their engines, but more so because other mechanics such as the transmission or in some cases, driveshaft from failing. Not sure why an informed person bought a Jetta though. There's a head-scratcher.

By carbuilder1
on 03/09/14 06:57 AM (PDT)

Not sure why a Honda guy would be checking reviews on a Volkswagen..? I have had many makes of car, Honda,Volkswagen,Ford,Pontiac, Toyota and more... this car with the 1.8 t is my favorite. I have only had it four months and I imagine maintaining it 6 years from now might get pricey, but I leased it. I was not loyal to any particular brand and test drove many. This car was just a perfect balance of gas economy comfort and power... to think I almost didn't test drive it. Mazda 3 May handle sprightly better? Not even sure about that... small back seat though... Honda civic honestly was best competition. Personal preference. Chevy Cruz. Wasn't even close , fabric dash ,small back seat to name a few issues. Toyota corrolla had a great back seat and good fuel economy. It had no power and cvt Tran was ok... but for price this VW blew it out of the water. Seriously people, just try one yourself. Test drive this along with two others you like. I think you will be pleased.

By cars1974
on 08/28/14 11:44 AM (PDT)

I think "revs freely" means the engine rev quickly, it doesn't mean the car has a rev limiter or not. Generally German cars drive better than Japanese cars, but the reliability is not as good.