2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great so far
By kristin124 on 08/07/13 14:23 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've only had my 2013 Jetta SEL for two months, but it's been pretty great so far. I like that it's got a sporty look inside and out, and I like the leather interior. The acceleration is pretty good for 170HP and the ride is smooth overall. My main complaints are some cheap aspects of the interior - for the price I paid and having the premium trim line, I can't believe it doesn't have power seat adjustment. Also, to tilt the chair back, you have to pump this plastic pedal up and down (tacky). Also, even when you move the front seats all the way back, there isn't enough leg room for tall people over 6 feet. Not much head room for tall people either. Could have designed that better!

Great little car!
By thedriver93 on 08/04/13 05:43 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I traded my Corolla in for the top of the line Jetta SEL and I never looked back. Great product from VW! It had leatherette seats, heated, AMAZING Fender sound system, comfortable ride, NAV system was easy to use. MPG was lower than I expected, I was averaging 28 MPG 70% highway.

So disappointed at quality of VW.
By juyeop on 07/22/13 07:31 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought VW jetta 2013 SE automatic about two months ago and it has been nightmare driving the car with so many flaws. First of all, about two weeks ago, the car just stalled out in the middle of the road when I was driving 40 miles per hour. Did I get into an accident because of that? almost. Nearest dealership towed my car and had a look at it, but what they said was there was no problem found, so you need to drive with it. Second issue I'm having right now is grinding sound and from when gear changes. I've never had this experience from my previous car that I drove for two years. Last but not least, steering wheel has been off-centered since it came out of dealership. Don't buy VW jetta!!

Nothing hidden, "It is what it is..."
By cmc370 on 07/11/13 12:20 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased a manual SE w/ conv package a few months ago and have driven about 80 miles a day since, mostly highway and I have been satisfied by the MPG, transmission (wish it had a sixth gear, but the fifth and forth gears are rather tall) and features. If you expect high grade interior material, then you should understand that this car is a compromise, high value, high feature, something had to give, and that was the "plastic" nature of this car. I call it my plastic car (even the seats are plastic) but appreciate the good ride, decent acceleration and good transmission. The car is surprisingly fun to drive, but compliant as a highway cruiser.

Grinding Noise 2013 Jetta
By sparkfire on 06/09/13 17:32 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I really like the car, it handles very well in the city and on the road, however, it makes a grinding noise when simply driving 25-30 mph down a city street. The noise is right under my feet! At first they couldn't find anything so I had one of the guys ride with me and when he heard it he was puzzled. I was told to bring it back one day and they'll have a Tech ride with me so when I have a chance, I'll take it back! Had I known it was assembled in Mexico I never would have purchased it! I thought they were being assembled at least in Tenn. I'm so disappointed that I wished I had purchased a Chevy or Buick!

6,609 of 6,620 people found this review helpful
Surprisingly poor driving car
By dm3 on 04/15/13 21:09 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The 6 speed auto transmission is one of the most unresponsive that I have ever driven. The engine is underpowered. Throttle response is not smooth. Initially the car does nothing then surges. The transmission is too reluctant to downshift making for a frustrating drive. The transmission downshifts much too slowly. Mash the throttle and I sometimes forget that I've done it as the seconds count down (2-3 seconds). That can be dangerous is you try to jump lanes. Interior feels unusually cheap for a VW. No cup holders in the rear. No cruise control. Rear view mirror can obstruct.

Early Impressions - All positive
By TheMagicTiki on 04/01/13 08:39 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I was looking for a small commuter car that, while reasonably priced, had a bit of style and personality for the daily commute. While some excel in certain areas, nothing else we test drove had the same combination of features, and style that this Jetta has. After two weeks of ownership, we are very pleased so far. Plenty of interior room for adults (or big kids) in the front/back seat. Rides & responds like a solid German car should. Great torque and acceleration (I'll give up the 2-3 MPG for that over others in the class). SEL adds some great creature comforts. Sure, it's not a BMW... but it is close enough to stand out as a cut above the class of economy appliances in this segment.

Good car with great space.
By ecwhite on 12/01/12 05:17 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Prod. End 4/13 (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a big car for its class but needs the 2.5 litre to make it work. The 5 speed manual transmission seems too tall in an attempt to gain fuel mileage. An extra gear in the manual gear box is needed to bring some life to it. The space is off the charts compared to any competitor which is a big asset when you have a family to fit in the back seat and luggage in the trunk. The Civic and Elantra might win the "fun" category but the space, quiet ride and solid road performance in weather trump the fun factor for me. It is not a TDI (my previous car was a '05 Jetta TDI before the moose destroyed it) and if you can afford it, go with the TDI. The TDI is a Santa bag of fun with crazy torque!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan in WA is:

$212 per month*