Used 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

75K needs new timing belt
By Lawrence

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof, Prod. End 4/13 (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Be careful when looking at this car or you will end up like me. I bought this car new for the very reason I was looking for a car that can hold up to high mileage. Well what a mistake I made. The car has 75K miles on it now and the dealer says the timing chain is stretched and needs to be replaced. The dealer could not give me a reason why this happened. They did say that some screen came loose and jammed into the tension pulley of the timing chain and deprived it of oil. They told me that they have had others in with the same problem. The extended warranty people are fighting paying for the repair. The dealer could not give me a reason why this happened The repair is $2900. Not at all what I expected from a VW. It is sad that they do not back their cars. No reason for this to have happen

I love my jetta!
By trevsta18

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first VW. I have owned an X5 and two mini coopers. I have had my jetta 2.5 manual for 2 years. I am at 46k and i haven't had too many issues other than constantly battling the tire pressure light and regular maintainance. Ive noticed my breaks starting to squeak, the paint on the front bumper began to chip at 10k. I have white with tan interior and i constantly get compliments from co-workers and bosses that ride in it. They are also impressed when i whip it around a corner. I have achieved 43 mpg in my 2.5 SE. Overall i am impressed but small things like the front bumper paint shouldn't chip so easily.

5 speed, big buttons and 10k per oil change

The dash is cheap plastic and they should offer a panoramic sunroof

Great car! Second Jetta owned.
By d_vegas

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the second Jetta we owned and bought new. The first was a 2004 diesel that we traded at 224,000 miles. We decided not to get the diesel this time because we are driving less. This car averages 35 mpg on the freeway! We are very happy with the car. No mechanical issues, drives great, comfortable to sit in.

Exterior has clean lines and we like the ground effect package on our car. Looks sporty. Great MPG for an average gas car. The triptronic transmission (goes between auto and a modified stick shift without the clutch), is helpful when climbing hills. Good trunk size for a smaller car. Like the fold down cup holder/arm rest in the back seat. Bigger than our previous Jetta and more comfortable. Bluetooth for the cell phone to come over the radio. We like that we have a 2.5 litter 4 cylinder engine. Our last Jetta was a turbo and when that breaks, the car barely moves. It's nice to not have to worry about that. Three years maintenance included.

The interior plastic accents that look like metal are too shiny; the newer models look more matte. The regular interior plastic is not that high quality. The seats are leatherette, which is not like regular leather, but they have texture and are comfortable. Climbing hills can be cumbersome and it would be nice to have more torque or horsepower. The windshield is very slanted and seems to angle the sun on the driver.

One year old, already falling apart...
By eroesch

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this car a year ago and right when the warranty (3yr/36000) went out I started having problems cranking the car and turning it off. This is at 40,000 miles, only 4000 over the warranty. So I took it to the dealer to see what was wrong and they tell me that the ignition cylinder is worn out!! Okay, first of all there shouldn't be any parts worn out after only ONE YEAR of use. That's ridiculous. And because the warranty is out I have to pay for it! Tell me something isn't wrong with this picture. We've brought the car in for every maintenance time and take of it. Apparently, the construction is crap... Not a happy customer.

Roomy. Good fuel economy.

Build your parts for long-term reliability, even down to the small parts including but not limited to the ignition compartment!!!

Business-like
By rpauls

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 4/13 (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 2013 Jetta 2.5 SE with 4,000 miles on it four months ago and it now has 15,000 miles. I work as an outside salesperson and was looking for a car that would get great gas mileage and still have some style. I did not have a Jetta in mind, but the mileage and price were both right, so I test drove it and to my surprise liked it a lot despite it being fairly vanilla on the style front. After four months, this car represents who I am very well, a business man. The looks are nice and clean. Not too boring, but not extroverted. The ride is generally compliant, quite nice on the interstate but very firm on rough pavement. Impressed with the highway mileage which has been 37 mpg.

The best feature to me, of all things, is the steering wheel. It is just the right diameter, has a chuncky padded leather covering and is comfortable all day every day. The seats are a close second. The leatherette seats are very comfortable, look very much like a lower grade genuine leather and easy to keep clean. I like the ability to choose regular drive, sport mode and triptronic shifting. When accelerating on to the interstate, the sport mode gives a little extra "oomph" and the triptronic mode is good for fun every so often. Regular drive mode, of course, is best for gas mileage. The trunk is spacious, too. Higher than expected hwy gas mileage has been great.

The major improvement appears to have been addressed in most 2014 trims and it is cornering. The "fun to drive" factor when taking turns at anything more than slightly above average speeds puts a little fear in you. Maybe the base tires have something to do with it. The radio is as odd of one as I have ever had. Two FM stations sound wonderful and the rest sound sub-par at best. I live in Milwaukee, so it is not like I am listening to stations where reception is an issue. I guess the way a radio station sends its signal greatly affects the sound quality.

• SUV