2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great car! Second Jetta owned.
By d_vegas on 09/11/14 10:32 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the second Jetta we owned and bought new. The first was a 2004 diesel that we traded at 224,000 miles. We decided not to get the diesel this time because we are driving less. This car averages 35 mpg on the freeway! We are very happy with the car. No mechanical issues, drives great, comfortable to sit in.

1 year old and literally falling apart
By trevsta18 on 09/03/14 12:04 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Oh jeez where do I start?! First of all, I have owned this car for a year now. 30k. Falling apart. The front bumper paint is coming off, the tires that came on the car are crap. I am constantly resetting the tire pressure light, it's faulty or something. Headlights gone bad, center armrest is ripping and now, I have to get the engine mounts replaced after they charged me for the alignment and tire balance which they said would fix the shaking on the freeway. Are you kidding me?! It's a brand new car and the engine mounts are bad?? This is ridiculous and the first/last VW I buy.

One year old, already falling apart...
By eroesch on 07/22/14 10:40 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this car a year ago and right when the warranty (3yr/36000) went out I started having problems cranking the car and turning it off. This is at 40,000 miles, only 4000 over the warranty. So I took it to the dealer to see what was wrong and they tell me that the ignition cylinder is worn out!! Okay, first of all there shouldn't be any parts worn out after only ONE YEAR of use. That's ridiculous. And because the warranty is out I have to pay for it! Tell me something isn't wrong with this picture. We've brought the car in for every maintenance time and take of it. Apparently, the construction is crap... Not a happy customer.

Business-like
By rpauls on 06/17/14 19:14 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 4/13 (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 2013 Jetta 2.5 SE with 4,000 miles on it four months ago and it now has 15,000 miles. I work as an outside salesperson and was looking for a car that would get great gas mileage and still have some style. I did not have a Jetta in mind, but the mileage and price were both right, so I test drove it and to my surprise liked it a lot despite it being fairly vanilla on the style front. After four months, this car represents who I am very well, a business man. The looks are nice and clean. Not too boring, but not extroverted. The ride is generally compliant, quite nice on the interstate but very firm on rough pavement. Impressed with the highway mileage which has been 37 mpg.

Cheaply Built Junk
By wriley999 on 04/22/14 12:59 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Garbage. VW does not stand behind their product. Begins to fail immediately after warranty.

Great so far
By kristin124 on 08/07/13 14:23 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've only had my 2013 Jetta SEL for two months, but it's been pretty great so far. I like that it's got a sporty look inside and out, and I like the leather interior. The acceleration is pretty good for 170HP and the ride is smooth overall. My main complaints are some cheap aspects of the interior - for the price I paid and having the premium trim line, I can't believe it doesn't have power seat adjustment. Also, to tilt the chair back, you have to pump this plastic pedal up and down (tacky). Also, even when you move the front seats all the way back, there isn't enough leg room for tall people over 6 feet. Not much head room for tall people either. Could have designed that better!

Great little car!
By thedriver93 on 08/04/13 05:43 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I traded my Corolla in for the top of the line Jetta SEL and I never looked back. Great product from VW! It had leatherette seats, heated, AMAZING Fender sound system, comfortable ride, NAV system was easy to use. MPG was lower than I expected, I was averaging 28 MPG 70% highway.

So disappointed at quality of VW.
By juyeop on 07/22/13 07:31 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought VW jetta 2013 SE automatic about two months ago and it has been nightmare driving the car with so many flaws. First of all, about two weeks ago, the car just stalled out in the middle of the road when I was driving 40 miles per hour. Did I get into an accident because of that? almost. Nearest dealership towed my car and had a look at it, but what they said was there was no problem found, so you need to drive with it. Second issue I'm having right now is grinding sound and from when gear changes. I've never had this experience from my previous car that I drove for two years. Last but not least, steering wheel has been off-centered since it came out of dealership. Don't buy VW jetta!!

Nothing hidden, "It is what it is..."
By cmc370 on 07/11/13 12:20 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased a manual SE w/ conv package a few months ago and have driven about 80 miles a day since, mostly highway and I have been satisfied by the MPG, transmission (wish it had a sixth gear, but the fifth and forth gears are rather tall) and features. If you expect high grade interior material, then you should understand that this car is a compromise, high value, high feature, something had to give, and that was the "plastic" nature of this car. I call it my plastic car (even the seats are plastic) but appreciate the good ride, decent acceleration and good transmission. The car is surprisingly fun to drive, but compliant as a highway cruiser.

Grinding Noise 2013 Jetta
By sparkfire on 06/09/13 17:32 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I really like the car, it handles very well in the city and on the road, however, it makes a grinding noise when simply driving 25-30 mph down a city street. The noise is right under my feet! At first they couldn't find anything so I had one of the guys ride with me and when he heard it he was puzzled. I was told to bring it back one day and they'll have a Tech ride with me so when I have a chance, I'll take it back! Had I known it was assembled in Mexico I never would have purchased it! I thought they were being assembled at least in Tenn. I'm so disappointed that I wished I had purchased a Chevy or Buick!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan in VA is:

$163 per month*