2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Love my TDI!
By carcully on 05/21/14 09:52 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 4/13 (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We purchased our Toffee Brown 2013 Jetta TDI last summer, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. My folks have a 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, so I had the pleasure of driving their car on occasion, and was immediately hooked on its performance and power, with such incredible fuel economy. We have 2 sons, and it transports the 4 of us around very comfortably. I love that the actual MPG is even BETTER than what is advertised. We get about 38 around town, and have gotten 51 on freeway trips. Love the V-tex Leatherette interior--so easy to clean. Just a great all-around vehicle.

8 Month, 25,000 Mile Review
By bailey08 on 04/29/14 19:21 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I traded my 2004 Infiniti for a new Jetta TDI 8 months ago and currently have 25k miles on it. I bought it because of the gas mileage since I commute/travel 3k miles a month. With that said, I average between 38-40 mpg on my commute to and from work. Volkswagen advertises that you can get 609 miles to one tank and that is an understatement. I made it home from NC to the NJ on one tank of gas: 625 miles. (avg speed 70 mph). The DSG transmission is a lot of fun to drive. It offers every-day "Drive" mode or the more exciting "S" mode or for maximum power, you can switch to manual mode. If you are looking for a daily driver/commuter car that offers much more, you should definitely consider.

Very reliable, great mileage
By rrocks on 04/25/14 01:09 AM (PDT)

After 10 months and 9500 miles, all is excellent...upper 40s on the hwy, 29-30 in horrible suburban driving conditions where I live (a lot of stop and start). Absolutely no problems. I think it's a great, fun car for the money. A bit slow on the start, but it picks up speed quickly. I'm sold on diesel. The only thing I don't like is the odometer display. My wife claims she doesn't care about cars but I can tell she loves it.

volkswagen tdi 10,000 miles and going strong
By rp4042 on 04/12/14 18:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have put 10,000 + miles on my 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in about 9 months and the car is going strong, I have not had one single problem with this car, zero, zilch, nada . I have owned new Toyotas that were not this reliable in the first 10,000 miles. One reviewer stated that it was made in Mexico and was junk. Well the engine and transmission are made and assembled in Germany. The balance of the parts are made in Germany , Canada, and Mexico. It is assembled in Mexico. My point is that this is a car engineered in Germany and built to German standards. I have had no problems with paint, trim , or scuff marks not coming off plastic parts as some have stated.

The gooad and the bad
By maninva on 03/21/14 12:39 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Like other reviewers I had a bit of buyers remorse upon driving this car home from the dealer. No auto headlamps, compass, auto dimming review mirror or back up cam left me a little disappointed. The car grew on me once I got used to it. It is fun to drive and I enjoy getting 50mpg on the highway. At 8k the paint on the front bumper started to chip off very easily. After three different attempts to have VW repaint the bumper they refused to do so. This was my first VW and will be my last. I will not buy cars from a manufacturer that doesn't stand behind it's product.

I'm a believer
By stewsir on 11/26/13 07:50 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Prod. End 4/13 (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I leased my Jetta about 8 weeks ago because of a change in my commuting status. I needed something that could haul 3-4 adults 50-60 miles a day, each way. I've had VWs, Audis and Volvos previously. This isn't my favorite car, but for what I got it for, it's the best, by far. Very comfortable inside, front AND back. great mileage. I average 35 or so around town and 42-45 on the highway. It's nice to see just under half a tank left and 450 miles on the trip odometer. I think I'm doing 600 or so miles per tank. Pretty impressive for a 14 gallon tank.

VOLKSWAGEN JETTA TDI 52 mpg
By rp4042 on 09/20/13 15:17 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this car on July 30 2013 and wish I had bought it sooner. I love this vehicle. the only gripe I have is the odometer is not constantly displayed in the speedometer, rather you have to page through a display screen to read it. Volkswagen claims 42mpg on the highway ' but I get 52 mpg with 60% highway and 40% city driving' as long as you keep the rpm's below 2,000 rpm's. this is with the automated manual transmission. my best for those conditions was 55.4 mpg. as far as some people saying the interior looks cheap I beg the differ it is not flashy like some other cars but certainly not cheap. this car is a joy to drive on winding roads.

Love my 2013 TDI!
By ellerman99 on 09/14/13 16:54 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Navigation, Prod. End 4/13 (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Have only had it for 2 weeks and 700 kms (Canadian) but I love this car! Upgraded the 18' VW Khartoum wheels so it has a nice sporty look, ride comfort is great and so far fuel mileage has been great! All around a perfect car for me, I'll be doing about 3,000 KM a month. Performance is surprising for a TDI, although I have never owned one, I've heard in the past they were sluggish, not this, once the turbo kicks in it does pretty good!

2013.5 Jetta TDI
By hlisle on 08/21/13 18:13 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Great car for distance travelling. I have put nearly 4,000 miles in almost 2 months... No problems - and have enjoyed the the car overall...

Made in Mexico CRAP! Do not buy!!
By jreed10 on 05/17/13 18:06 PM (PDT)

I purchased my Jetta TDI nearly 4 months ago (Jan. 21), and loved it at first, but it has rapidly begun to fall apart already. The navigation system is an utterly useless waste of money, the "premium" Fender sound system develops so many vibrations that one cannot even enjoy listening to music, and the door panels started rattling while driving, after less than 2 months of ownership, so I can't even enjoy driving the car anymore. It's a shame, because the fuel economy and powertrain are both fantastic, but overall, I would not recommend this car to my worst enemy. I have grown to hate it that much. VW won't even stand behind their product and make it right. Don't waste your money.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$141 per month*