Used 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
JETTA TDI is the best car i have ever owned.
By rp4042 on 03/19/15 18:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought my jetta tdi on July 30 2013 and have loved it ever since. i have 27904 miles on it and have not had a single problem with it. i consistently get over 50mpg driving to work in the morning. the return trip home is stop and go about half the way and I average 40-42mpg.to obtain the best mpg try to keep rpm at 2000 rpm or less. when i have the car loaded with hundreds of lbs of gear and an additional person and driving 75-80 mph i still get between 45-47mpg. with the extra cost of diesel over gas i still saved $1500.00 over what it cost to run my old 2 liter gas trade in for 20,000 miles.

Love my 2013 Jetta Turbo Diesel 6 speed Manual
By mr_chosenone on 02/09/15 22:51 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought a 2011 new Jetta Turbo Diesel 6 speed standard and loved it so much, I sold it to my best friend and bought a 2013 with the exact same set up. They're both identical cars except for their birth year. Both are a blast to drive. I can drive it like I stole it and still get over 45 mpg. Love the electric steering. Buy the manual model if you want to have fun driving this little car. I have and will continue to recommend this car to my friends.

Loved the car...Big problem
By kittykat35 on 02/03/15 23:33 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought the car new..loved the stick,turbo,diesel combination...handled like a proper German sedan..car didn't settle in till 90mph+. At 35K the high-pressure (32000psi) fuel pump failed and sprayed metal fragments through out the fuel system resulting in $5000 repair bill ! Covered under warranty for 1 time but the dealer claimed it was contaminated fuel. Had only used diesel fuel from a high volume station that has city and school district contracts. Come to find out these Bosch pumps are on their 3rd redesign and one of the failure suspects is the low sulfur fuel that has no/reduced lubricants. Owner's manual says not to use additives but if you have one be sure use an additive.

Maybe biased because I had a Bimmer
By happy163 on 01/04/15 02:41 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Prod. End 4/13 (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Alright, so this was a trade in for another lease I had which was a 2013 Passat SE. This Jetta was better and a lot more fun to drive than the Passat. The TDI engine is a lot more lively and engaging than the 2.5 Liter in the Passat. The electronic steering was fun as well. The wishbone suspension however, was very noticeable for someone who knows a thing or two about handling. The back end is just too unstable on curves and wishy washy. I had this unpleasant rattling noise in the center console where the cup holders are. It would never go away. The gas mileage in the vehicle was excellent as I put on more miles on the car, the better the gas range was. At one point i was getting 45MPG.

Great car! Second Jetta owned.
By d_vegas on 09/11/14 10:32 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the second Jetta we owned and bought new. The first was a 2004 diesel that we traded at 224,000 miles. We decided not to get the diesel this time because we are driving less. This car averages 35 mpg on the freeway! We are very happy with the car. No mechanical issues, drives great, comfortable to sit in.

1 year old and literally falling apart
By trevsta18 on 09/03/14 12:04 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Oh jeez where do I start?! First of all, I have owned this car for a year now. 30k. Falling apart. The front bumper paint is coming off, the tires that came on the car are crap. I am constantly resetting the tire pressure light, it's faulty or something. Headlights gone bad, center armrest is ripping and now, I have to get the engine mounts replaced after they charged me for the alignment and tire balance which they said would fix the shaking on the freeway. Are you kidding me?! It's a brand new car and the engine mounts are bad?? This is ridiculous and the first/last VW I buy.

One year old, already falling apart...
By eroesch on 07/22/14 10:40 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this car a year ago and right when the warranty (3yr/36000) went out I started having problems cranking the car and turning it off. This is at 40,000 miles, only 4000 over the warranty. So I took it to the dealer to see what was wrong and they tell me that the ignition cylinder is worn out!! Okay, first of all there shouldn't be any parts worn out after only ONE YEAR of use. That's ridiculous. And because the warranty is out I have to pay for it! Tell me something isn't wrong with this picture. We've brought the car in for every maintenance time and take of it. Apparently, the construction is crap... Not a happy customer.

Business-like
By rpauls on 06/17/14 19:14 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 4/13 (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 2013 Jetta 2.5 SE with 4,000 miles on it four months ago and it now has 15,000 miles. I work as an outside salesperson and was looking for a car that would get great gas mileage and still have some style. I did not have a Jetta in mind, but the mileage and price were both right, so I test drove it and to my surprise liked it a lot despite it being fairly vanilla on the style front. After four months, this car represents who I am very well, a business man. The looks are nice and clean. Not too boring, but not extroverted. The ride is generally compliant, quite nice on the interstate but very firm on rough pavement. Impressed with the highway mileage which has been 37 mpg.

Love my TDI!
By carcully on 05/21/14 09:52 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 4/13 (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We purchased our Toffee Brown 2013 Jetta TDI last summer, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. My folks have a 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, so I had the pleasure of driving their car on occasion, and was immediately hooked on its performance and power, with such incredible fuel economy. We have 2 sons, and it transports the 4 of us around very comfortably. I love that the actual MPG is even BETTER than what is advertised. We get about 38 around town, and have gotten 51 on freeway trips. Love the V-tex Leatherette interior--so easy to clean. Just a great all-around vehicle.

8 Month, 25,000 Mile Review
By bailey08 on 04/29/14 19:21 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I traded my 2004 Infiniti for a new Jetta TDI 8 months ago and currently have 25k miles on it. I bought it because of the gas mileage since I commute/travel 3k miles a month. With that said, I average between 38-40 mpg on my commute to and from work. Volkswagen advertises that you can get 609 miles to one tank and that is an understatement. I made it home from NC to the NJ on one tank of gas: 625 miles. (avg speed 70 mph). The DSG transmission is a lot of fun to drive. It offers every-day "Drive" mode or the more exciting "S" mode or for maximum power, you can switch to manual mode. If you are looking for a daily driver/commuter car that offers much more, you should definitely consider.