Used 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Worse car I have ever owned in my life.
By Nick

2013 Volkswagen Jetta 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This car has been the worst experience ever! I have had everything from a Ford Taurus to a Camarro and in 2013 I decided to get this vw Jetta. And it has been the worse decision of my life. I have had more problems with this one car and put more money into it then all of my cars combined. The transmission is horrible. The electrical in the whole car is absolutely horrible. My doors will not lock and sometimes will not unlock once I do get them locked. The Windows and sunroof will have problems closing. The last problem that has put me over board is my key will get stuck in the ignition I have had to leave my car running over night until it just runs out of gas because I am not able to turn it off. On top of it running out of gas the battery will also die because the car will not shut off at all. When I do call or go into the dealer they say they can do nothing to help but sit there and jiggle the key until it will sometimes pop out. Multiple technicians at the dealer have told me that this happens to a lot of people and from the research I have done it happens to many people... Yet vw still doesn't make a recall on it or offer to fix this problem with no charge. If I did want to get a new ignition it would be around 1000 dollars and it's still not guranteed to fix the problem cause it can just happen again and on top of that if the key happens to break while they are trying to pull the key out its not their problem and that will have to be replaced also. I could go on and on about how horrible these cars are so my advice would to stay as far away from vw as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL
By Dana Ostrom

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Prod. End 4/13 (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Our beautiful blue Jetta has 31000 miles on it. The whole time we have owned it, we've had only one recall, and it was fixed promptly. We had the light switch in the trunk go out and Fowler VW fixed it within 2 hours. This car rides so smooth on the freeway with no engine noise coming into the cab. As a matter of fact, we were going up Raton pass to Denver last year and didn't even realize we were doing 125 mph. Still no engine or road noise inside. The one thing in this car that sold the car was the lumbar support. The car was for my wife so she had to be satisfied. We drove the Jetta, a Corrolla, a Sonata and a Mini. The only requirement I had was 4 doors. The only thing I would say that needs to be changed on the VW's made in Mexico is the turn signals in back. This is supposed to be a world-class car. The turn signals should be amber as they are when made in Germany. Mexican VW's have red turn signals.

Had the car for about 2 years and some change.
By Jesse Vail

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I get a lot of complements on the look of the car and passengers love the heated leather seats here in upstate NY. Only have had 1 issue so far and that was a bad crank position sensor which caused the car to jolt and stall while driving with no check engine light, went to dealer and was told "Unfortunately you're going to have to drive it until a light comes on" which kind of sucked considering my pregnant girlfriend rides in the car and it stalls leaving is short handed as far as power steering and hydrolic brakes. Other than that I LOVE the Fender Sound System, it sounds amazing. Tons of trunk space. Fun to drive and navigation has yet to leave me stranded! That's a plus.

Torque monster and extremely fuel efficient!
By Marcelo Murillo

2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Prod. End 4/13 (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I will start with the only thing that could be improved and that is the transmission. I have the DSG transmission and it is great and refined at normal driving speed (15 mph plus) However it is a bit rough when coasting to a stop, driving through a parking lot and other slow situations. It seems there is more low end torque than the transmission knows how to handle and when it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd to 1st gear it is not as smooth as other non-diesel non DSG cars, the dealer checked the transmission and all was good no defects were found. Everything else this car aces, fuel economy is off the charts, build quality is what you expect from VW which is excellent, no squeaks or rattles, the interior materials are solid and not cheap, ergonomics are great and I love the no nonsense designs of the controls. The car handles great and the 2.0 turbo diesel has loads of torque which makes passing and merging into a freeway a breeze (no drama it just builds speed) Road noise is better than other cars I've tested on this segment and great for long journeys, front seats are very comfortable and there is great leg room for the back occupants (I'm 6' tall). Trunk space is actually surprisingly good and mine came with a first aid kit. When it comes to fuel economy this car is a star especially on the highway, I never get less than 550 miles per tank and have gotten as much as 610 in a trip from Florida to Michigan. In conclusion I highly recommend this car to anyone. I've owned this car for almost 3 years and I bought it used with only 5k miles on the odometer.

75K needs new timing belt
By Lawrence

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof, Prod. End 4/13 (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Be careful when looking at this car or you will end up like me. I bought this car new for the very reason I was looking for a car that can hold up to high mileage. Well what a mistake I made. The car has 75K miles on it now and the dealer says the timing chain is stretched and needs to be replaced. The dealer could not give me a reason why this happened. They did say that some screen came loose and jammed into the tension pulley of the timing chain and deprived it of oil. They told me that they have had others in with the same problem. The extended warranty people are fighting paying for the repair. The dealer could not give me a reason why this happened The repair is $2900. Not at all what I expected from a VW. It is sad that they do not back their cars. No reason for this to have happen