Wish I never bought this car...
By domdpt on
2012 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)
I was new to VW and relatively impressed by the Jetta, although I really wanted the GLI I was not ready to pay $30,000 for a small sedan. The car was ok to start, however within 2 months all door panels were rattling, suspension squeaked, and engine became sluggish. Almost 1 year later and after a few trips to the dealer, all door panels still rattle, the engine is not responsive, and MPGs are getting worse. VW quality has slipped a lot from what i can gether, and the dealer is less than willing to help fix the problems. Unless you get a GLI, do not waste your money.
Favorite Features
Legroom in backseat, trunk space, overall appearance, Fender audio
Suggested Improvements
Too many to list... cheap plastic interior that rattles, Fender stereo is too loud for door panels to handle so they rattle a lot at mid-volume, cheap leatherette material, small touch screen, horrible GPS program (save the money and get a portable Garmin instead), unresponsive engine that gets weaker with miles, MPGs are not good for this small car. Oh, and the car is made in Mexico, not Germany....but the dealer tries to convince you it is assembled in the US from parts shipped from Germany.
By jstonebreaker
on 08/30/13 07:02 AM (PDT)

THE SERVICE BULLETIN VW WON'T TELL YOU ABOUT........................OR PERFORM THE SERVICE!    There is a service bulletin on the NHTS website. THEY have the power to ensure that your car is SAFE to drive.    Go to http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners "File A Complaint" about this SAFETY related/documented lose of power and no response when pressing on the accelerator. It could save someone life!!!    SERVICE BULLETIN Service Bulletin No.: 01-13-14 Component(s): ENGINE NHTSA ID Number: 10052336 All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin Details 0 Associated Documents Manufacturer: Volkswagen of America, Inc. SUMMARY: VOLKSWAGEN: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE A MISFIRE AND/OR REDUCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE. *JS    SAFETY COMPLAINTS LIKE    Date Complaint Filed: 08/16/2013 Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL Date of Incident: 05/19/2013                                                                            NHTSA ID Number: 10535696 0 Associated Documents Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0 Manufacturer: Volkswagen of America, Inc. Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 3VW2K7AJ6DM... SUMMARY: I WAS TRYING TO MERGE ONTO HIGHWAY TRAFFIC AND WHEN I PUSHED ON THE ACCELERATOR THE CAR WAS UNRESPONSIVE. IT CREATED AN UNSAFE SITUATION WHERE I HAD TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES AND LET THE TRAFFIC PASS BY, THEN PUT THE CAR IN MANUAL SHIFT SO THAT I COULD ACCELERATE ENOUGH TO MERGE WITH TRAFFIC. THE INABILITY TO CONTROL THE SPEED OF THE VEHICLE DUE TO NO RESPONSE FROM THE ENGINE HAPPENS USUALLY AROUND SPEEDS OF 40 MILES AN HOUR. I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE CAR WILL BE IN 6 GEAR AT VERY LOW SPEEDS AND FAILS TO DOWN SHIFT WHEN THE GAS IS PRESSED. THIS RESULTS IN A LOSE OF POWER AND DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO SAFELY MANEUVER THE VEHICLE IN EMERGENCY AND NON-EMERGENCY SITUATIONS.    Models affected Golf Beetle Passat Jetta and MORE

By unhappy94
on 03/09/14 22:42 PM (PDT)

I too purchased the 13 Jetta in Aug 13.. I owned a 10 Jetta base model but my lease was up so I decided to upgrade because I LOVED my 10 Jetta....BIG HUGE MISTAKE.....I HATE this car..it is nothing like the 10... It rides like a "hay wagon", it's not even a nice ride on a smooth road let alone one with bumps in it. In fact it rattles so much that now there is something loose in the dash. I have had it back to the dealer twice and of course a man just can't see what I'm talking about, probably drives a pick up anyway....so the second time they did some kind of a test on the tires and 3 failed so they replaced them, now this is a 3 month old vehicle at the time..well guess what? It did nothing. I HATE it so much I make my husband drive it and I drive his Passat. I'm just sick about it, new car and can't even stand to drive it. We even nicknamed my other Jetta "Zippy" because she was so much fun to drive and it was just a base model..so much for upgrading! And I have this one for 4 years...ouch. I don't think it will hold up to all the roughness everything is bound to rattle loose. My advice is ...Stay Away From This Model! I will NEVER NEVER buy another Volkswagen again, I'm done with them. Sad but fact, they cheapened this car so much it's not even funny...Hope this will help someone else from making the mistake I made 6 months ago...