It's a good car, but I don't plan on keeping it.
By ne10 on
2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
My feelings about the Jetta TDI/Premium are mixed. I love the styling, the fuel economy is unbeatable for an ICE, and the low end torque makes it zippy and fun. But VW had to go and kill a lot of the love by leaving the DSG unrefined, not polishing out creaks and rattles, and cheaping out in areas like the MFD and the touch screen software. The car feels like it was well designed in Germany, then dressed down by a bureaucrat on computer and exported to America. That being said, the styling, fuel economy, and options are still far better than the Civic and the Elantra. Is it worth the extra $3000 on the sticker? Maybe. I'd say it's more of a solid buy as a used or preowned car.
Favorite Features
There's lots to like about the car: 1. Lowest road noise of any economy sedan I've driven. 2. Seats are pretty comfortable (although not as comfortable as the sportwagen) 3. Plenty of leg room for the driver It's the only non SUV where I can put my knees up comfortably when in cruise control. 4. Unbelievable fuel economy for an ICE sedan. 5. Tons of trunk space. Fitting 3 full size suit cases is no problem 6. Low end torque is extremely satisfying. 7. Good looking exterior and a stately (albeit cheap) interior. I'm never embarrassed driving clients around. 8. Extremely comfortable on the freeway. If I don't have coffee I drift off...
Suggested Improvements
Lots to hate too: 1. Interior materials... They mar easily and rattle and buzz like crazy with the stereo going. 2. DSG is clunky, loud, and performs poorly on the street and in cold weather. 3. Having The iPod in the glove box is super duper annoying. 4. Trunk opening needs to be bigger, getting boxes taller than 12" in is a mega pain. (on that note, get rid of the goose neck hinges too.) 5. The eco friendly clear coating sucks. It scratches and chips very easily. 6. The touch screen has a 2 second lag when navigating through menus. iPod navigation is a chore. 7. The 2" MFD display is ugly and makes the instrument panel look cheap. 8. Vinyl seats grab your pants.