5 speed SE with Convenience is the one to get.
By dlevine2 on
2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 5M)
I was hesitant to buy a VW after having owned a 1993 VW Corrado SLC - most beautiful unreliable car I have ever owned. I did not want an automatic since I had been driving a 2006 Hyundai Sonata for quite a while (most boring, most reliable car I have ever owned). For me, the 5 speed SE with convenience is a great car - not too far over $20,000 and it has decent performance. The trunk is larger than my wife's Infiniti M35. My kid cannot destroy the interior because it is made out of, well, plastic and Vinyl. My hope is that it turns out to be reliable, because I do like it a lot. It's as much of a German car as $20,000 or so will let it be.
Favorite Features
Leatherette heated seats, acceleration, room.
Suggested Improvements
Gas mileage isn't great, resale isn't great either - so hopefully it is reliable.
By jstonebreaker
on 08/30/13 07:02 AM (PDT)

THE SERVICE BULLETIN VW WON'T TELL YOU ABOUT........................OR PERFORM THE SERVICE!    There is a service bulletin on the NHTS website. THEY have the power to ensure that your car is SAFE to drive.    Go to http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners "File A Complaint" about this SAFETY related/documented lose of power and no response when pressing on the accelerator. It could save someone life!!!    SERVICE BULLETIN Service Bulletin No.: 01-13-14 Component(s): ENGINE NHTSA ID Number: 10052336 All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin Details 0 Associated Documents Manufacturer: Volkswagen of America, Inc. SUMMARY: VOLKSWAGEN: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE A MISFIRE AND/OR REDUCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE. *JS    SAFETY COMPLAINTS LIKE    Date Complaint Filed: 08/16/2013 Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL Date of Incident: 05/19/2013                                                                            NHTSA ID Number: 10535696 0 Associated Documents Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0 Manufacturer: Volkswagen of America, Inc. Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 3VW2K7AJ6DM... SUMMARY: I WAS TRYING TO MERGE ONTO HIGHWAY TRAFFIC AND WHEN I PUSHED ON THE ACCELERATOR THE CAR WAS UNRESPONSIVE. IT CREATED AN UNSAFE SITUATION WHERE I HAD TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES AND LET THE TRAFFIC PASS BY, THEN PUT THE CAR IN MANUAL SHIFT SO THAT I COULD ACCELERATE ENOUGH TO MERGE WITH TRAFFIC. THE INABILITY TO CONTROL THE SPEED OF THE VEHICLE DUE TO NO RESPONSE FROM THE ENGINE HAPPENS USUALLY AROUND SPEEDS OF 40 MILES AN HOUR. I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE CAR WILL BE IN 6 GEAR AT VERY LOW SPEEDS AND FAILS TO DOWN SHIFT WHEN THE GAS IS PRESSED. THIS RESULTS IN A LOSE OF POWER AND DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO SAFELY MANEUVER THE VEHICLE IN EMERGENCY AND NON-EMERGENCY SITUATIONS.    Models affected Golf Beetle Passat Jetta and MORE