2012 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: An excellent car, but do your

2012 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

TDI Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automated Manual w/Premium)

An excellent car, but do your homework
By calex905 on

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This was the most reasonably priced car in this kind of fuel mileage range that did not feel like a toy. True the interior is not flashy, and I am a bit heavy for the standard seat bolsters, and it is not an independent rear suspension, but this little car is a kick to drive. I have 12,000 miles on and I have no complaints. I just got my first 50MPG trip this last weekend. In mixed driving I get 38 on the low side and can always depend on 44 to 45 MPG highway driving with cruise control on 65 or 70 from Fresno to Los Angeles and back. The DSG transmission does take a while to get used to but its a great car. Lots of torque and a huge backseat.

High Mileage and responsive handeling. In my "seceret test location" I have found that in 4th and 5th gear you still have alot of torque and these are the longest gears. Torque steer is not bad, and you can get on the throttle and get out of a trun fast. Grippy for eco tires. The clutch takes a little getting used to and hill starts can be a bit odd. I wish I had a clutch when I wanted it and when downshifting it will blip the throttle if you have your foot on the brake a bit and slide it down a gear. The sport mode holds of the shifts about 200 rpm. Quite a bit for a deisel. Flog it all day and still get over 30MPG! The trunk velcro luggage holders are fantastic

Wider seats with less side bolster for us husky folks. Soft touch dash material. Just another gallon or two fuel capacity would be nice to "Rub it in" for others who have to top off. Perhaps a little sportier alloy wheel. Most importantly I would like a 7th gear. Hill start assist would be a good feature.