Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

It's a good car, but I don't plan on keeping it.
By ne10

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My feelings about the Jetta TDI/Premium are mixed. I love the styling, the fuel economy is unbeatable for an ICE, and the low end torque makes it zippy and fun. But VW had to go and kill a lot of the love by leaving the DSG unrefined, not polishing out creaks and rattles, and cheaping out in areas like the MFD and the touch screen software. The car feels like it was well designed in Germany, then dressed down by a bureaucrat on computer and exported to America. That being said, the styling, fuel economy, and options are still far better than the Civic and the Elantra. Is it worth the extra $3000 on the sticker? Maybe. I'd say it's more of a solid buy as a used or preowned car.

There's lots to like about the car: 1. Lowest road noise of any economy sedan I've driven. 2. Seats are pretty comfortable (although not as comfortable as the sportwagen) 3. Plenty of leg room for the driver It's the only non SUV where I can put my knees up comfortably when in cruise control. 4. Unbelievable fuel economy for an ICE sedan. 5. Tons of trunk space. Fitting 3 full size suit cases is no problem 6. Low end torque is extremely satisfying. 7. Good looking exterior and a stately (albeit cheap) interior. I'm never embarrassed driving clients around. 8. Extremely comfortable on the freeway. If I don't have coffee I drift off...

Lots to hate too: 1. Interior materials... They mar easily and rattle and buzz like crazy with the stereo going. 2. DSG is clunky, loud, and performs poorly on the street and in cold weather. 3. Having The iPod in the glove box is super duper annoying. 4. Trunk opening needs to be bigger, getting boxes taller than 12" in is a mega pain. (on that note, get rid of the goose neck hinges too.) 5. The eco friendly clear coating sucks. It scratches and chips very easily. 6. The touch screen has a 2 second lag when navigating through menus. iPod navigation is a chore. 7. The 2" MFD display is ugly and makes the instrument panel look cheap. 8. Vinyl seats grab your pants.

If it was put together in Germany...
By petarvn1

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've got a 2012 jetta with just over 6K miles on it. For the 16 months i have owned it, i have come to conclude that it's fast enogh to get you in to trouble, but controlable enogh to get you out of it. Being a new driver, getting a good, safe, reliable car was my parrents priority, so the got me a jetta, natrually. Only problem with it is that it's build quality isn't tip-top. My friend has a VW golf (assembled in Wolfsberg, not mexico) and it's much better put together. All together, it's a good package. I'd recomend the 5 speed manual with the 2.5 liter engine. For the $21,000 you pay you get a lot for your money, plus it's a very sexy machine!

Responsive gas, brake and clutch. Smooth and fun 5 speed manual box. big trunk, with space for 3 sets of skis (through central opening at armrest) Comfy.

Put it together better! (no seriously VW why?) although fast, 170 horse out of a 2.5 isn't too good, since the 2.0 turbo (gas) gets 200 horse.

rosemary12
By rosemary12

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SEL Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car in August of 2012 from the VW Dealer in Bedford Ohio. I bought this Jetta new after selling my BMW 5 series before walking into the dealership. I decided to buy a Jetta since I heard that many people who drive BMW's have switched to the the Jetta model since they like the German engineering. Biggest mistake I made in my life. I paid cash for the car and got a black sel with every feature you could get-including navigation and special wheels. All said and done I paid over $30,000.00 for this car with an additional extended warranty. As for the interior the plastic seats are very uncomfortable. No power adjustable seats, no telescoping steering wheel. Sold this car!

none

Real leather more comfortable seats that auto adjust, heated steering wheel, telescoping steering wheel to adjust to posture. Exterior looks cheap with all the plastic on the trim-even on this expensive SEL model it still looks very basic for the money spent. Add a second left mode on the steering wheel (GLI model has this). As much money as I paid on this top of the line model this should be included in the price.

I haven Driven Almost Every Car In The World, And this is the best car for the price.
By vmn077

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car is def worth every penny for the price it has. The other competitors cars in the market can not compare its quility, features and history with VW. It drives just as good as any other expensive car. I have own this car for year now and iam just impress every time, its very comfortable, a lot of space and very rised up compare to other sedans. The fuel economy is great for the power it has. I get around 25 - 29 in city and long trip i have gotten numbers above 40 mpgs (using a real data logger). The car come pack of little features must people dont even know about. The is almost matinance free, 10k mile oil change, no timming belt change ever, it uses a map system,means less sensor.

Fuel Economy I get and you dont need a Fuel Economy button, Car takes care of everything for you in D. My moms 2012 civic gets around 23 and I get in the 2012 VW jetta SE 25 mpg+. If your looking to drive hard you always have S mode or Tiptrinic, it gives you amazing response. Its VW, They make Audi Bently, Ducati, Bugati, Lmabos, and more. I like 10 k oil intervals. The amazing computer system they have, lets u change a lot of features with data log. The aceleration is great. The interior is very simple and easy to clean. Egine quality is excellent cast iron engine block and no need to change timming belt, lifters or manitance free. The map computer system means no as many sensor to break.

Everything I wanted has been done in the 2013 model. MFD for fuel economy range and other things. Chrome window trim and front chrome grill, electric seats, softer interior quility. I would like for them to use LEDS for all the interior lighting and some of the exterior including drl lights would be nice, but i can just do all that myself. I would also like to have a 8 speed tranny like the hybird model and front grill. Also to reduse drag coefficiant like the hybird model and please get rid of the fuel guage and use the regular one or at least have smaller bars.

Love My Jetta TDI D
By debrasue

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My husband and I bought this car for the gas mileage and the Jetta has delivered. I drive 100 miles a day (highway) for work plus running errands and only fill up once a week ($50 a tank). I get about 47 mpg or 550-560 miles per tank. The car is comfortable and responsive when driving. Being on the road so much I like the Blue tooth hands free system that syncs with my phone.

Bluetooth/hands free phone sync Heated seats Roomy trunk Power outlet in back seat (Great for charging kids video games!)

Fan is loud when turned up to highest setting, but cools/heats quickly so the setting is not required for long.