2012 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
TDI Purchased for Gas Mileage
By jclaeys on 04/29/12 11:38 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We sold our TDI Jetta with just 2K on it. We could longer deal with the poor execution of the diesel to Jetta experience. Having driven gas powered Mercedes, it was difficult to get used to the difference in the "lack of Luxury". First, it is a stretch to say this car is "clean". You will notice the stench of diesel not only at fillup but when you park it in your garage for the first couple weeks. And don't be surprised if you can smell it in your home also. The vibration at idle and rough start from stop will take getting used to, we did'nt. Buy this if all you are looking for is excellent gas mileage, it's there..avg. 33-46 mpg! Otherwise, choose wisely. It'll cost you in trade in.

This car saved my life
By skappler1 on 04/26/12 17:40 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I loved my Volkswagen Jetta, bought a new 2012 SE with Convenience and Sunroof. It was a dark, rainy, and foggy night and i was traveling at around 40mph when i failed to see a stop sign and went right through an intersection. My Jetta was hit on the left side causing both driver and passenger side airbags to deploy. The vehicle then struck a tree and spun around once again before coming to a halt in someones front lawn. The car had immediatley shut itself off, activated the hazards and unlocked all the doors. My friend and i both walked away from the incident. The police all had agreed that had i not been in a car as safe as the Jetta, my friend and i could have both been easily killed

Why so many bad reviews?
By vic40 on 04/14/12 18:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I don't understand why there are so many complaints about the New Jetta. After looking at everything, I settled on the smartly priced Jetta S with Sunroof and manual trans. Admittedly, it's no speed merchant, but it does just fine, has no trouble keeping up, and returns decent mileage in the process. I just don't see how you can look at most of the direct competition and find the Jetta lacking. The Americans are either too small (Fiesta and Sonic) or more expensive (Focus and Cruze). The Japanese competitors are just crappy. Complaints about the Jetta's interior??? Seen a Civic lately? Yikes! And perhaps most importantly, all 6'3" of me fits in the Jetta with room to spare in back.

Solid. Fun. Worth Every Penny!
By fistofstone on 04/06/12 19:34 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have owned two VW's previously, a 1995 Golf and a 2000 Jetta, and was 'mostly' satisfied. The 2012 Jetta TDI, however, has completely blown me away. I simply cannot say enough great things about this car. The low end torque that is referred to in most of the professional reviews, paired with the manual transmission, has to be experienced to be believed. Simply put, driving this car is pure enjoyment. The interior plastics are not as high-quality and 'warm' as I have come to expect from VW - but they are tastefully and intellegently laid out. The stereo system is fantastic; it sounds great and it is easy to use. If you really like to DRIVE, I would highly recommend this car.

Solid, Comfortable, Effecient, Elegant, Sporty
By jlgolden on 03/27/12 10:37 AM (PDT)

After determining that I wanted an efficient sedan with some acceleration zip and handling athleticism, the Jetta TDI prevailed as the most appealing. The diesel's acceleration is delightful around Houston's inner-city grid, as well as when merging and passing on open highways. The DSG transmission takes some personal adjustment time, due to its characteristic (normal) hard downshifts during parking-lot creeping and stop & go traffic situations. Conversely, upshifts are fast and super smooth. Fuel economy is now averaging 42 mpg in mixed driving. This car feels amazingly stable, responsive, and capable in all driving situations.

From Best to Worst
By bobgoblin on 03/03/12 17:22 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded my 2001 Passat in for a 2012 Jetta TDI "Premium" in January. While the Passat was honestly the best car I have owned, the Jetta is the worst. The Jetta stalls all the time. It was shipped with a 5-speed gearshift knob, even though it is a 6-speed transmission. The car was supposed to have lumbar support but doesn't . VW said they will correct it since it is not specifically listed on the window sticker. The windshield cracked when i hit a pothole at 2,000 miles and VW is refusing to fix that. I can go on, but won't. After driving VW for 11 years, this Jetta will my last VW purchase.

So far so good...
By 23hammer on 03/02/12 10:29 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I picked up this Jetta because of rising fuel costs and a long commute. So far I have nothing bad to say about it. The car is comfortable, quiet, solid, and performs well. It does take a little adjustment if you are not familiar with a diesel. I am impressed with the interior and how much I like the "leatherette" I was expecting a lot less from the car's interior and performance after reading the reviews on Edmunds, but I must say I am completly impressed by this car. I am averaging 45 MPG in mostly highway driving. I am 6'4" tall and 250 pounds and I fit well in the car with my spouse and 2 kids.

SE, Same old VW!
By jkali860 on 02/16/12 18:06 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

While the Base and S (4 cylinder 115-hp) models are not like previous VW's, the SE model (5 cylinder 170-hp) holds up the VW's reputation. I am extremely pleased with my purchase (2012 SE manual W/ Convenience) . I was a bit hesitant to look at new Jetta's due to the awful reviews. After I did some research, the SE model and above is a totally different car than the S and Base models. You get a low price for an extremely basic car. But the SE, SEL, and TDI all have a lot to be pleased about. Don't believe the bad reviews stand for all the Jetta models, only the Base and S. With a different engine, transmission and interior, the SE model and above is a totally different car.

Fun and efficient diesel, questionable reliability
By austin28 on 01/20/12 19:11 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have just finished putting a 1000k miles on my 2012 Jetta TDI. I have averaged 39MPG in moderate city driving. I highly recommend the diesel to anyone who is looking for added driving fun, longevity, and a higher resale value. The leather steering wheel, heated seats, and touchscreen audio system make this car seem luxurious. Despite negative reviews on the cars interior, I suspect it will please almost everyone who experiences it. Unfortunately, within the first week of ownership, I had 2 different problems with exterior body work. 1. The gas door would not shut. 2. The trunk squeaks loudly when you open or close it. The dealership noted both problems would be fixed under warranty.

VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!
By jessica80 on 01/19/12 09:00 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned a '94,'96', and an '09 Jetta. Pros: *I like the body style....the front end of the car anyways. It handles better then other Jettas I've owned. It has more room in the interior. * gears shift a lot smoother Cons: *I do not like the 2.0 engine. It is SO slow....I can floor it around corners and it goes no where!! Slowest car I've ever owned. My 09 Jetta had a 2.5 so it was a little more fun to drive. * the interior is cheap.....I'm sure it was the cheapest plastic they could find. The cloth seats are hard. No heated seats.The 09 jetta (same model) had soft cloth seats that were heated with a Soft dash that had more shape opposed to the 2012 with a flat dash...just like a 1994

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta in VA is:

$149 per month*