2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
So far so good...
By 23hammer on 03/02/12 10:29 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I picked up this Jetta because of rising fuel costs and a long commute. So far I have nothing bad to say about it. The car is comfortable, quiet, solid, and performs well. It does take a little adjustment if you are not familiar with a diesel. I am impressed with the interior and how much I like the "leatherette" I was expecting a lot less from the car's interior and performance after reading the reviews on Edmunds, but I must say I am completly impressed by this car. I am averaging 45 MPG in mostly highway driving. I am 6'4" tall and 250 pounds and I fit well in the car with my spouse and 2 kids.

Fun and efficient diesel, questionable reliability
By austin28 on 01/20/12 19:11 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have just finished putting a 1000k miles on my 2012 Jetta TDI. I have averaged 39MPG in moderate city driving. I highly recommend the diesel to anyone who is looking for added driving fun, longevity, and a higher resale value. The leather steering wheel, heated seats, and touchscreen audio system make this car seem luxurious. Despite negative reviews on the cars interior, I suspect it will please almost everyone who experiences it. Unfortunately, within the first week of ownership, I had 2 different problems with exterior body work. 1. The gas door would not shut. 2. The trunk squeaks loudly when you open or close it. The dealership noted both problems would be fixed under warranty.

Clear upgrade from my last Jetta except in a few areas
By golf_jetta on 01/17/12 11:28 AM (PST)

I bought my first Jetta in 2006 back when they were giving away free electric guitars with each purchase. That was the cheapest Jetta they had and people were blown away by how nice the interior was. Fast forward to 2011 where you find me buying the 2012 Jetta TDI because I drive 2 hours each day and I want better fuel economy and an automatic. On balance this is a great car. The motor is peppy and the automatic is very smooth. I love the diesel, if you are going to get the Jetta then I recommend you get the automatic with the 2.0 TDI. My suggested improvments are long, but they are really quibbles and should not deter you from purchase.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$134 per month*